Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm interested to know why this is so: does having 20 balls fewer really make that big a difference? From what I've seen on telly, it's the T20 blast with more garish colours. It's not even any shorter - those 100 balls are taking as long to bowl as those 120.

I'm not attracted to the Hundred, not because it's a different form of cricket, but because I have no skin in the game - I'm not from Hampshire or Surrey, so the idea of travelling a couple of hours to watch a game between two neutrals is not for me. But I am intrigued to know why it is for some people.
It's not aimed at you or me, Max - it's aimed at both sporty kids and people like my 10 year old son and my wife - neither of whom are matured traditional sports fans but both of whom are open to trying any new experience. The format differences from T20 are neither here nor there in truth.

So what attracts these people to a new experience? It isn't the cricket alone, it's the overall package (a large crowd at a large, modern venue with up to date facilities) and unfortunately there are only 6 or 7 venues nationwide that can do that with cricket.

Ultimately it's job done as both want to go again. I don't think I would have confidence they would feel the same if they'd been to the T20 at a smaller venue with ancient facilities where part of the boundary was made up of grass banks, wooden benches and deck chairs - much as though these things don't bother me as a cricket fan.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
what was interesting was that while most people in the crowd were Southampton/Hants centric, there was plenty of representation from Dorset, South Berks, South Wilts but not really from our neck of the woods and GOSBTS in general, which is a bit of a shame.

That's very interesting, shows it's clearly reaching out into areas without a first class county of their own who might not have supported "Hampshire" but will happily support "the south". I hadn't considered this at all and TBH that's hugely interesting. Also suggests maybe there is scope for future teams at Taunton and Durham as two places which could similarly bring in people from a larger catchment area.

No offence, but it absolutely does NOT show that, in the slightest. All of the area Sim has listed IS the historic Hampshire CCC catchment area / fanbase. Hampshire were playing home games in Bournemouth until the 90s, and Dorset etc, considers itself part of 'Hampshire' (in purely cricketing terms).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No offence, but it absolutely does NOT show that, in the slightest. All of the area Sim has listed IS the historic Hampshire CCC catchment area / fanbase. Hampshire were playing home games in Bournemouth until the 90s, and Dorset etc, considers itself part of 'Hampshire' (in purely cricketing terms).

Dorset makes up only half of the extra people I saw though. The Hundred's tentacles definitely go further than Hampshire's traditional catchment. Additionally, just because I saw no Sussex colours, doesn't mean they weren't there. We've already established another NSCer had his family there along with me and mine - it just wasn't obvious.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's not aimed at you or me, Max - it's aimed at both sporty kids and people like my 10 year old son and my wife - neither of whom are matured traditional sports fans but both of whom are open to trying any new experience. The format differences from T20 are neither here nor there in truth.

So what attracts these people to a new experience? It isn't the cricket alone, it's the overall package (a large crowd at a large, modern venue with up to date facilities) and unfortunately there are only 6 or 7 venues nationwide that can do that with cricket.

Ultimately it's job done as both want to go again. I don't think I would have confidence they would feel the same if they'd been to the T20 at a smaller venue with ancient facilities where part of the boundary was made up of grass banks, wooden benches and deck chairs - much as though these things don't bother me as a cricket fan.

How many county grounds is that actually true of then (for a Blast match)? Once all the additional stands, etc are up, most of them are a fair size, with no grass banks in sight. And the facilities (toilets? video screens? bars? food outlets?) are nearly all temporary, whether at Hove for a T20 or at Southampton.

I'm sure its all great fun (pity your two matches last night were both very one-sided) but you've still not given (to my mind) a single reason why it is any different to what the Blast could have served up, given the same marketing budget and terrestrial TV coverage. The only real difference, as far as I can see, is that there are less teams.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How many county grounds is that actually true of then (for a Blast match)? Once all the additional stands, etc are up, most of them are a fair size, with no grass banks in sight. And the facilities (toilets? video screens? bars? food outlets?) are nearly all temporary, whether at Hove for a T20m or at Southampton.

I'm sure its all great fun (pity your two matches last night were both very one-sided) but you've still not given (to my mind) a single reason why it is any different to what the Blast could have served up, given the same marketing budget and terrestrial TV coverage. The only real difference, as far as I can see, is that there are less teams.

The only temporary thing last night were the food concessions, but that is the one area I don't think it really matters. Putting up temporary stands screams small time and doesn't really cover the need for better facilities elsewhere - specifically toilets or media.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Dorset makes up only half of the extra people I saw though. The Hundred's tentacles definitely go further than Hampshire's traditional catchment. Additionally, just because I saw no Sussex colours, doesn't mean they weren't there. We've already established another NSCer had his family there along with me and mine - it just wasn't obvious.

Of the areas you listed though, Wiltshire is normally lumped in with Hampshire (off the top of my head I know James Vince grew up around there), and I expect South Berks is as well.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot, I was intending to make a needless dig at Hampshire and got distracted.

To be fair, I can see why somebody would rather support a nebulous concept like "the south" over Hampshire. For that matter they could have called it Satan's Nanny Mashers and it'd still have more appeal.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Of the areas you listed though, Wiltshire is normally lumped in with Hampshire (off the top of my head I know James Vince grew up around there), and I expect South Berks is as well.

Vince was schooled at Warminster, yes, and channelled into the Hampshire academy system through that. South Berks is very much Hampshire territory - with the club playing on their doorstep at Basingstoke until very recently.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The only temporary thing last night were the food concessions, but that is the one area I don't think it really matters. Putting up temporary stands screams small time and doesn't really cover the need for better facilities elsewhere - specifically toilets or media.

Erm... The Rose Bowl's 25,000 capacity, includes 10,000 temporary seats! :shrug:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm delighted that The Hundred has been such a success and following the BBL format of playing both men and womens games on the same day has given far more exposure to the womens game. Just as competetive and skillful as the men.

I'm loving it but I do think the idea of two games, every day, could mean saturation could be just a little much.

It is such a shame that Hove was binned off for the Brave women (still don't know why) as womens cricket has always had tremendous support at Hove (indeed in Sussex).

The only thing that "holds up" The Hundred is the length of time it is taking for DRS. I've no idea why it seems to be taking so long. But that's a trivial point really. My only other criticism is the "DJ" and the banning of traditional cricket sing-a-longs like Sweet Caroline and Tom Hark when a boundary is hit. Just because it is a new format to attract a new audience, I don't want all the tradition of the game to disappear.

Test cricket has been on the wane for a long time now. I still watch it - but on highlights not live.

Come on the Brave!

Oh....and we have so many cricketing knights now. Isn't it about time that Charlotte Edwards became cricket's first Dame? Well overdue.

("Chief" has higher Test & ODI average than Sir Andrew Strauss. Scored 4 tons and 9 50s in 23 Tests. First player (m or f) to score 2500 runs in ODIs. Coach of uber successful Southern Vipers and now the Brave. I could go on!! But the final word to Clare Connor who called her "a credit to women's cricket globally, a superb role model for girls who aspire to play for their country". )

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Erm... The Rose Bowl's 25,000 capacity, includes 10,000 temporary seats! :shrug:

I really like the temporary stand at Old Trafford, although I'd struggle to justify that when the main thought in my head whenever I've been up there is "I hope this is safe". I've not seen it this season to know if they've trimmed it down from the ridiculous size it was for the world cup and ashes in 2019.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
How many county grounds is that actually true of then (for a Blast match)? Once all the additional stands, etc are up, most of them are a fair size, with no grass banks in sight. And the facilities (toilets? video screens? bars? food outlets?) are nearly all temporary, whether at Hove for a T20 or at Southampton.

Isn't the number of teams in t20 part of the problem though? You can't have a tournaments done in pretty much 4 weeks with that many fixtures. The Hundred can attract better overseas players for this reason.

I suppose they could have a t20 format with the teams from the Hundred but that would probably solve nothing in either the format or trying to reach a new audience.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Isn't the number of teams in t20 part of the problem though? You can't have a tournaments done in pretty much 4 weeks with that many fixtures. The Hundred can attract better overseas players for this reason.

I suppose they could have a t20 format with the teams from the Hundred but that would probably solve nothing in either the format or trying to reach a new audience.

The original t20 cup in 2003 started on the 13th June, and finished on the 19th July. It's clearly possible to fit a tournament with that many teams into that sort of timespan if you need to.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm delighted that The Hundred has been such a success and following the BBL format of playing both men and womens games on the same day has given far more exposure to the womens game. Just as competetive and skillful as the men.

I'm loving it but I do think the idea of two games, every day, could mean saturation could be just a little much.

It is such a shame that Hove was binned off for the Brave women (still don't know why) as womens cricket has always had tremendous support at Hove (indeed in Sussex).

The only thing that "holds up" The Hundred is the length of time it is taking for DRS. I've no idea why it seems to be taking so long. But that's a trivial point really. My only other criticism is the "DJ" and the banning of traditional cricket sing-a-longs like Sweet Caroline and Tom Hark when a boundary is hit. Just because it is a new format to attract a new audience, I don't want all the tradition of the game to disappear.

Have you not answered your own question? The double-header of the Womens's and Men's games is the biggest positive of the whole thing - so it follows that if the men's game can't be played at Hove (in case somebody's wife needs to use a temporary food outlet or toilet block), then nor can the women's.

Disagree on the DRS - on the line decisions especially, they have been spectacularly quick :shrug:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
The original t20 cup in 2003 started on the 13th June, and finished on the 19th July. It's clearly possible to fit a tournament with that many teams into that sort of timespan if you need to.

Fair enough, the Hundred is set so there are no fixture clashes and all games can be televised, which you couldn't have with a t20 done in that time frame.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

But surely the main reason it needs to be crammed into a few weeks, is because they are trying to crow-bar it into an already full calendar (INCLUDING the existing Blast). If it were just an embellished, massively marketed and hyped, Blast competition, live on terrestrial TV, instead of BOTH competitions, there would be ample time, surely?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

There aren't many grounds like that: Sussex did away with the cow shed more than 40 years ago and the deckchairs and grass banks went about 10 years back. The only difference between Hove and Southampton is the size: is that really enough of a buzz?

I'm all for attracting new people to cricket but the money should have been spent elsewhere. Cricket clubs are increasingly dominated by private school educated players and if the ECB want to spaff loads of cash, they should be promoting cricket in state schools and local clubs. With the best will in the world, a few night games in Southampton are not going to attract herberts from Whitehawk or Moulsecoomb and that's what needs to be addressed. Who knows how many potentially talented cricketers there are out there but who have never tried the game?

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Who knows how many potentially talented cricketers there are out there but who have never tried the game?

It's interesting this, because when people talk about the relative scarcity of fast bowlers or quality batsmen, that's in the context of the part of the population who are actually engaged. When you consider the number of people who for all sorts of reasons have never played the game, the true talent pool must easily be well over double what it is now (I expect it's much more than double, but don't want to weaken the point by throwing a ridiculous number in there).

When I think of the number of professional footballers who come from countries with tiny populations, or towns like Ashington which seem to spit out international sportsmen every 10 years or so, I'm sure that there are hundreds of people with the ability to play international cricket (or pretty much any non-football sport for that matter) who simply never touch a bat or a ball.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Guys, serious question, do you think the youngsters (and perhaps wives if they weren't interested at all previously) will use this as an introduction to all forms of cricket as the Authorities hope? Or are they just going to want to watch the Hundred?

And a follow-up question: can you see yourselves as existing cricket fans preferring the Hundred to say county or Test cricket?

With my crew they are interested in all forms of cricket tbh. Whereas Im not that interested at all (I dont mind a night out a the T20 sometimes), my wife will happily sit through any sort of game - and likewise, my son will go and watch - & play - any format. He cant watch on TV though...gets bored stiff!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here