Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The counties having a T20 team each rather than an 8 team short period tournament has set our test player production back. Counties have prioritises producing players for T20, players have a choice of 18 teams and it’s well paid plus then getting picked up for other tournaments.

Ideally counties needed to be 4 day and 1 day competitions. T20 should be an IPL-like separate tournament a.k.a the hundred experiment.

I agree. The problem is that 4-day / test cricket is a very different animal to one-day cricket, yet the counties can only afford to employ a certain amount of cricketers. Therefore, they will prioritise where the money is - one-day cricket - and recruit accordingly. Yet the only thing kids play is the short format of 20 / 40 overs a side.

There is no longer any kudos in winning the 4-day County Championship either, and there is a lack of coverage of results and county action. It is shunted and shoe-horned into the wettest and coldest parts of the season too.

Personally, I have a real problem supporting the thing that is 'Southern Brave' where all the matches are played in Hampshire and none in Sussex. It's not even the best players from both counties; I see a bloke from Lancashire and a mercenary from New Zealand have done the business for Southern Brave tonight, but they'll probably lose in the Final to a masterclass from Sussex's own Luke Wright, who is somehow playing for the Trent Rockets.

Last edited:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I went tonight, with my wife and two daughters. We all enjoyed the game, and would definitely go again. There was a decent atmosphere and a reasonable crowd, if not smaller than previous games. Certainly a bigger crowd then you would get for any not international anyway.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
How can anyone with a clear conscience get into one-day party mode at this fake bash? If you love English cricket you should be in mourning for the death of test cricket, and it is tournaments like this one that has killed it.

I kinda get where youre coming from, but 20/20 and the Hundred is where the younger audience of today is, Fast, Whallop, big scores and able to hold the attention span. The game needs as many people interested from the young and grass roots as well as the much needed revenue streams from diversifying.
I'm a purist too and love test cricket, which is actually not doing to badly in this country generally. Still getting packed grounds for major tests which is comendable as it often costs a small fortune vis a vis 20/20.

The bigger problem for test cricket is the dwindling local supporter interest in many other test playing nations who have abandoned test cricket interest for shorter forms of the game.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I went tonight, with my wife and two daughters. We all enjoyed the game, and would definitely go again. There was a decent atmosphere and a reasonable crowd, if not smaller than previous games. Certainly a bigger crowd then you would get for any not international anyway.

Looks a decent evening out. We are planning to go to watch our localish team Manchester Originals at some point. I grew up loving cricket and this doesn’t bear much resemblance to that game. Looks like a lot of fun though. I get where the purists are coming from but my wife and I just want an evening out watching sport and as a non cricket fan she has enjoyed watching the Hundred on tv. That’s good enough really.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm sorry I have missed the last few games.

Have the the Northern Knobheads beaten the Southern Shitfaces, maybe is it the Western Wankers or the Eastern Enema Bandits that will make it to the Cricketsuperbowl?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'm sorry I have missed the last few games.

Have the the Northern Knobheads beaten the Southern Shitfaces, maybe is it the Western Wankers or the Eastern Enema Bandits that will make it to the Cricketsuperbowl?
Come again?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I’m not sure why people are against the 100. The more cricket I get to see the better. I prefer Test cricket, love watching Sussex and now cannot wait to see the Sharks and the Brave.
Very limited over cricket may not be for everyone but personally I love it!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Sussex Brave looking like reaching the final tomorrow, hope they show it on the big screens during the match.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I’m not sure why people are against the 100. The more cricket I get to see the better. I prefer Test cricket, love watching Sussex and now cannot wait to see the Sharks and the Brave.

I'm against it because it isn't Cricket.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I’m watching and enjoying it, I’m not really a big cricket fan.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Let's go Braves, let's go!!

:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here