[Cricket] The Hundred

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Cricket clubs are increasingly dominated by private school educated players and if the ECB want to spaff loads of cash, they should be promoting cricket in state schools and local clubs. With the best will in the world, a few night games in Southampton are not going to attract herberts from Whitehawk or Moulsecoomb and that's what needs to be addressed. Who knows how many potentially talented cricketers there are out there but who have never tried the game?

See what BACA are doing Max. Ranked for the last 2 years amongst the top 100 cricket schools in the UK (Ardingly didn't even get in I dont think) and its also attracting a lot of attention amongst the media - Michael Atherton lauded the place in a newspaper article, they've had masterclass sessions with a couple of top pros, and have been featured in the Cricketer magazine a few times. Hopefully the success they are achieving as a state school will encourage more kids to take it up - especially when they see the youngsters already there taking that step into county setups etc.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
See what BACA are doing Max. Ranked for the last 2 years amongst the top 100 cricket schools in the UK (Ardingly didn't even get in I dont think) and its also attracting a lot of attention amongst the media - Michael Atherton lauded the place in a newspaper article, they've had masterclass sessions with a couple of top pros, and have been featured in the Cricketer magazine a few times. Hopefully the success they are achieving as a state school will encourage more kids to take it up - especially when they see the youngsters already there taking that step into county setups etc.

Yeah, BACA is the obvious exception - and more power to it - but wouldn't it be great if there were a couple of schools in B&H like and even more scattered over Sussex. As Sid said, there must be hundreds of kids with the potential to be decent cricketers who have never touched a bat.

Or those who have given it a go and have to be forced to give it up. I remember a girl coming to the club and giving cricket a go never having played it before, she was hitting the ball all over the place. I told her mum that she was a natural but she was a single parent and couldn't afford to buy the kit - she only came the once. I sometimes wondered what she'd have been like with decent coaching.

How many lives like that? As Gray put it "Full many a flow'r is born to blush unseen/ And waste its sweetness on the desert air."

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
200, what a score!

Finn went for millions.

Do love a raucous, partisan crowd. Not quite Lords and the rhubatb & custards.

Kept it on after watching the Test. Certainly more action. "What a score" has to be put in context of the fact that basic skills like catching and accurate bowling seem non-existent. Are all Hundred games like this?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The two sides of cricket today.

The gentle, traditional appreciation from the purists or instant gratification and beer and partisanship and family entertainment.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
An absolute dry humping. There'll be dancing in the streets of Popchips tonight. McCoy's OUT.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Worth mentioning, what a summer John Simpson is having. Doubt he saw it coming.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Rashid just bowled one that would have embarrassed me as a 10 year old at my first net - and then got a wicket next ball :lolol:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Crowd looking a bit thin, particularly given that it's the last home fixture for the pombears and as the commentators/ propagandists keep saying it's the clincher.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just wondering, what will " The Originals " be called next season?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How can anyone with a clear conscience get into one-day party mode at this fake bash? If you love English cricket you should be in mourning for the death of test cricket, and it is tournaments like this one that has killed it.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
How can anyone with a clear conscience get into one-day party mode at this fake bash? If you love English cricket you should be in mourning for the death of test cricket, and it is tournaments like this one that has killed it.

The counties having a T20 team each rather than an 8 team short period tournament has set our test player production back. Counties have prioritises producing players for T20, players have a choice of 18 teams and it’s well paid plus then getting picked up for other tournaments.

Ideally counties needed to be 4 day and 1 day competitions. T20 should be an IPL-like separate tournament a.k.a the hundred experiment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports