Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Google Nexus 4 thread

Reviews I've read have suggested that the battery isn't the best, and that the camera is slightly lower quality than the top-of-the-range, but other than that it seems to be generally a top-notch phone, and given the price it's fantastic. Can't decide whether to go ahead and buy this tomorrow or wait for my contract to come up for renewal at the end of next week and see what Orange can offer me (although it seems unlikely to match the offerings SIM-free). If I do get the Nexus then it's a bit of a toss-up between getting Giffgaff or Three - any experience of either (positive or negative) to help me decide? For the record Three coverage seems pretty decent where I live (wife is with them).

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I use Giff Gaff and have found them tip top so would recommend them to anyone. I'm afraid I don't know much about 3 but as far as I can tell they don't offer as much for the money as you'll get on Giff Gaff. But I guess the trade off is that if anything goes wrong then with 3 you can call them up and moan about it.

I've also heard slight grumblings about the battery on this Nexus but given its epic power it's not a big surprise to be honest. The camera really doesn't bother me, as long as it can capture QR codes!

Really more than anything else though, I'm itching to get my hands on this handset to see what it feels like. I know it wont be as solid as an iPhone or Nokia, but it would be nice if it were a bit more beefy and structurally sound than some of the cheap built Android handsets around at the moment. Fingers crossed

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Re: Best mobile phone ever made to be released THIS MONTH

Failed reading :(

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Reviews I've read have suggested that the battery isn't the best, and that the camera is slightly lower quality than the top-of-the-range, but other than that it seems to be generally a top-notch phone, and given the price it's fantastic. Can't decide whether to go ahead and buy this tomorrow or wait for my contract to come up for renewal at the end of next week and see what Orange can offer me (although it seems unlikely to match the offerings SIM-free). If I do get the Nexus then it's a bit of a toss-up between getting Giffgaff or Three - any experience of either (positive or negative) to help me decide? For the record Three coverage seems pretty decent where I live (wife is with them).

Another vote for giffgaff here, had some issues trying to top up with my goody bag once, was sorted in under 2 hours. And its cheap.

Best move I ever made network and price wise. It is just a bugger deciding what handset to buy, even though I'm very tempted by this nexus, I want to see, hold and feel one in my hand before I buy, the price is a major selling point for it though.

And over £200 is still a lot to pay for a phone.

I have no idea what to do, I got my HTC desire HD when it first came out over 2 years ago, its still going strong and still does what I need it to do, I don't technically need a new phone, but its not stopping me wanting one.

I hope so! Wonder if it will be released at midnight or at a set time... *ponders whether to stay up until midnight just in case*

I must admit I was thinking the same thing myself. Geek that I am

I hope you guys weren't up too late! Doesn't appear to have been any sign of it overnight, although in Australia (where it was released) they sold out of initial stock within an hour apparently...

Another vote for giffgaff here, had some issues trying to top up with my goody bag once, was sorted in under 2 hours. And its cheap.

Best move I ever made network and price wise. It is just a bugger deciding what handset to buy, even though I'm very tempted by this nexus, I want to see, hold and feel one in my hand before I buy, the price is a major selling point for it though.

And over £200 is still a lot to pay for a phone.

I have no idea what to do, I got my HTC desire HD when it first came out over 2 years ago, its still going strong and still does what I need it to do, I don't technically need a new phone, but its not stopping me wanting one.

Thanks for the further GG recommendation. I'm in a similar boat to you - have a Desire HD which is a perfectly serviceable phone. However I (somehow) managed to convince the Mrs that paying £279 for a phone was perfectly reasonable if I also managed to knock £10 a month off my contract, so really it'd be rude not to buy the new phone now!

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Insomnia meant I was checking in middle of the night but STILL no phone! No fair!!!! *stomps foot* ;)

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Well that worked as there it is! Unfortunately the Play store is not working terribly well under the load...

Well, that was a fairly ridiculous experience. 16GB model seemingly sold out after about 20 minutes, just as the email from Google saying they were available arrived in my inbox. Within that time I had absolutely no problem adding it to my basket, but absolutely no success at 'proceeding' to checkout.

The 8GB version is still on sale.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Any luck? I have been able to add it to my cart but every time I attempt to 'Proceed' on the checkout page I get an error message...

Nope, have been able to get as far as purchase a couple of times but then its just stopped responding. *sigh* 16Gb version now not letting me add to cart and I've got to go to work so guess I'll be missing out on the first batch.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've decided to hold fire on it for a while, simply because I cannot think of anywhere that my iphone comes up short; sure the google phone might do some things a little bit better, but not to the extent of shelling out £200+

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I checked at midnight, and nothing. Then gave it a go whilst having my breakfast and noticed it finally updated to say you could buy at around 8:15. Attempted it about 20 times but it kept crashing and then by 8:30 it was sold out.

Pretty disappointing to be honest. Demand was always going to be high for such a desirable and incredibly low priced product. Have they deliberately kept numbers low or restricted the amount they were selling to build up even more of a frenzy or have they genuinely underestimated the incredible demand?

Sold out within minutes

Google Nexus 4 sells out in minutes- The Inquirer

I'd love to know the figures though. Just how many have they sold?

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Was a bit disappointed with the performance of Googles Play and Checkout services - thought as a major multinational they'd do better but I guess all companies struggle with load when theres high demand. Got briefly excited again when the page refreshed to Add to Cart just now but it turned out to be an error (again).

Think they could well be keeping stock low to increase demand, plus it'll help O2 sell more on contract...

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Was a bit disappointed with the performance of Googles Play and Checkout services - thought as a major multinational they'd do better but I guess all companies struggle with load when theres high demand. Got briefly excited again when the page refreshed to Add to Cart just now but it turned out to be an error (again).

Think they could well be keeping stock low to increase demand, plus it'll help O2 sell more on contract...

I'm not sure, have you seen the O2 facebook? It is loaded to the brim with angry customers complaining at the stupid prices they're offering the handset at. £36 a month on contract for two years is absolutely criminal. BUT there are always going to be idiots desperate enough having failed to secure a handset direct from Google today

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I'm not sure, have you seen the O2 facebook? It is loaded to the brim with angry customers complaining at the stupid prices they're offering the handset at. £36 a month on contract for two years is absolutely criminal. BUT there are always going to be idiots desperate enough having failed to secure a handset direct from Google today

Ah no, I hadn't seen that but it doesn't surprise me! Mind you, I'd probably be one of those idiots if a) the signal was any good on Brighton seafront and b) they had better data rates... ;)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

£864 for a sub £300 phone !
Anyone signing up for that should be shot, then brought back to life and shot again.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
£864 for a sub £300 phone !
Anyone signing up for that should be shot, then brought back to life and shot again.

Thankfully it would appear most people are clever enough to know better. Just take a look at all the responses to this posting on their official site: The Nexus 4 is coming to O2!

It's a wonder O2 haven't deleted the page.

Nice to know there are still members of the British buying public apparently unwilling to be taken for total mugs

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Best mobile phone ever made to be released THIS MONTH

Piss poor from Google this morning. There's more to this game than just putting an existing LG phone in a new case and plonking it on a website for sale.

Of all people, you'd think Google would be well versed in handling traffic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here