Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Google Nexus 4 thread

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I agree they do look a bit mickey mouse, but I do wonder whether they have simply grossly underestimated the demand or if this is actually a deliberate ploy to give even more attention to the device.

In either case, I'm not impressed. We're talking about the world's foremost internet business failing to keep a website functioning

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Hmm. I can upgrade in March but my job is currently at risk and I may also be made redundant in March. So I'm in no rush. Lack of 4g not a major issue at the moment. I might splash some of the redundancy cash on it but at the moment I would be happy to carry on with my HTC Desire HD until 4g becomes a reality.

I do want to get a Nexus 7 for Christmas though.

I agree they do look a bit mickey mouse, but I do wonder whether they have simply grossly underestimated the demand or if this is actually a deliberate ploy to give even more attention to the device.

In either case, I'm not impressed. We're talking about the world's foremost internet business failing to keep a website functioning

I find it hard to believe it's the former, but the latter strategy seems a bit odd, especially given the conveyor-belt nature of Android phones. Another one with better specs will be along soon enough, and they may find that those consumers that were hyped for today's launch aren't quite so bothered one month down the line.

As a personal example - my contract doesn't end for two months. I was all set to buy one of these this morning, let my contract expire and then get a cheap Giffgaff or Three SIM-only contract. Depending upon when they release more of these phones, I will probably end up talking to my existing network (Orange) at the end of next week when I can officially renew and see what they can offer me on a comparable phone (e.g. HTC One X).

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I find it hard to believe it's the former, but the latter strategy seems a bit odd, especially given the conveyor-belt nature of Android phones. Another one with better specs will be along soon enough, and they may find that those consumers that were hyped for today's launch aren't quite so bothered one month down the line.
QUOTE]

Exactly this - pathetically I've been looking forward to today for a while now, I didn't get the email from Google until 8.40 by which time the 16gb was sold out.

I wasn't quick enough on the uptake to get an iphone5, and for a month or so after my two local stores didn't have 16gb versions in stock, if they had, I would have bought one. I then heard about the nexus 4 and it being half the price, but again now can't get one. Chances are something interesting will come along in a month or two that will get my attention, and if Nexus 4 aren't in stock by then I'll move on somewhere else.

Another potential problem as I see it with this delay is that the anticipation is always better than reality. When the first Nexus buyers receive their phones next week there will undoubtedly be a raft of 'my battery only lasts 3 hours' 'this phone has crap reception' 'the updated OS doesn't work' style complaints which will put a (probably small, but significant) number of users off. Seems more bizarre by the minute unless they're going to announce a load of new stock later this week.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I did notice on the occasions I made it to the checkout screen earlier, there seemed to be no restriction on the number of units you could buy. Could it be that those who've been successful snapped them up in bulk knowing they'd be able to shift them for a quick buck as soon as they were received?

D

Deleted member 18477

I did notice on the occasions I made it to the checkout screen earlier, there seemed to be no restriction on the number of units you could buy. Could it be that those who've been successful snapped them up in bulk knowing they'd be able to shift them for a quick buck as soon as they were received?

very much so. like you've stated already at that price & spec, the product is a very good one from an initial first impression.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Oh what a HILARIOUS thread title renaming.

Looks like somebody's a bit upset that a new phone is taking the limelight from an Apple product by outselling everything else and generating incredible levels of demand

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Just out of curiosity I've just had a look on Ebay and there are a few on there for the desperate amongst us - the highest over retail I saw is currently on £350 for an 8Gb version and its still got 18 hours to go...

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Just out of curiosity I've just had a look on Ebay and there are a few on there for the desperate amongst us - the highest over retail I saw is currently on £350 for an 8Gb version and its still got 18 hours to go...

Doesn't surprise me but it does depress me.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I was rather hoping that the masses would eschew O2 in favour of buying direct from Google, recognising the vastly superior price and telling O2 to go f*** themselves at the same time. BUT now Google have successfully managed to shift every handset they had the only option for the truly desperate will be to cosy up to the Spanish owned mobile rip off merchant and get raped by a costly contract, the likes of which are usually reserved for the iPhone buying mugs.

Carphone Warehouse have a load too, but will only be flogging them with costly contracts. Why have Google even bothered supplying these vendors? Direct to consumer is clearly the best option here, and they f***ed it

Carphone Warehouse have a load too, but will only be flogging them with costly contracts. Why have Google even bothered supplying these vendors? Direct to consumer is clearly the best option here, and they f***ed it

I suspect the answer to this question is that LG (and maybe Google) are worried about pissing off the networks if they solely went direct. Google are presumably (either directly or indirectly) compensating LG for the lack of profit margin on this handset, but Google like to spread out their Nexus projects so LG will be aware that they will have to go back to selling their next phone through the networks.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I suspect the answer to this question is that LG (and maybe Google) are worried about pissing off the networks if they solely went direct. Google are presumably (either directly or indirectly) compensating LG for the lack of profit margin on this handset, but Google like to spread out their Nexus projects so LG will be aware that they will have to go back to selling their next phone through the networks.

That's a good call actually. Whilst you're right Google don't have to give a shit about the networks, LG most certainly do, so perhaps there is some sort of mutual agreement between the big G and LG which is preventing direct to consumer sales running off the chart

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yet another Android phone to be released

outselling everything else and generating incredible levels of demand

With Google not commenting on sales figures, I'm curious how you have the inside track.

This phone won't have sold many today, relatively speaking, as:

i) Google do not have an Apple-like infrastructure to roll out in numerous countries in one go.

ii) Most of the general populace will have no idea this phone even exists. Will it be featuring early on the national news tonight? No.

Geeks and gadget fans will be aware, of course, and rightly excited about this week's best Android phone ever, the other 99% of the world won't know, care or want one.

Most people have no idea what Nexus is or means.

iii) Android top-spec chasers are likely to be locked into long-ish contracts with their Galaxy S3s.

Anyway - shoot me down with your sales figures - looking forward to reading them.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
With Google not commenting on sales figures, I'm curious how you have the inside track.

This phone won't have sold many today, relatively speaking, as:

i) Google do not have an Apple-like infrastructure to roll out in numerous countries in one go.

ii) Most of the general populace will have no idea this phone even exists. Will it be featuring early on the national news tonight? No.

Geeks and gadget fans will be aware, of course, and rightly excited about this week's best Android phone ever, the other 99% of the world won't know, care or want one.

Most people have no idea what Nexus is or means.

iii) Android top-spec chasers are likely to be locked into long-ish contracts with their Galaxy S3s.

Anyway - shoot me down with your sales figures - looking forward to reading them.

I feel I need to point out, once again, that I don't work for Google or Android and have no vested interest in the success of their products.

As you know, Google have remained very tight lipped about their sales figures and not even the most in the know analysts have so far revealed any kind of inside track or even hints at what sort of volume these new devices have sold in, so I can't help you out with numbers I'm afraid.

What we can say with some authority however is that demand has been very high and there has been quite a buzz about the new Nexus range. Just search the term Nexus 4 and count the number of articles about high demand and incredible value of the handset.

What's really interesting is the amount of excitement the Nexus 4 has created given there was no formal launch event and review models have been thin on the ground. There is no big marketing campaign, the phone has just had its specs released and the geeks have done the rest. The reviewers that have got involved have all come out in praise of the device, and its excellent value, which is of no surprise.

And here we have a 6 page thread full of NSCers who've eagerly awaited news of this phone, so I'd hardly say it is of no interest to 99% of people.

Why did you rename the thread title? Why do you act threatened by people talking about devices to rival Apple products? Why do you perceive me as an enemy just because I like to talk about gadgets? Genuine questions because I feel like you keep launching attacks at me every time I mention tablets, computers or phones. I'm not actually a fanboy to any brand or manufacturer, I just like consumer technology. I don't get this us vs them mentality you seem to have developed and I don't get why I've seemingly become the focus for your ire with regards anything that isn't Apple branded.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I feel I need to point out, once again, that I don't work for Google or Android and have no vested interest in the success of their products.

As you know, Google have remained very tight lipped about their sales figures and not even the most in the know analysts have so far revealed any kind of inside track or even hints at what sort of volume these new devices have sold in, so I can't help you out with numbers I'm afraid.

What we can say with some authority however is that demand has been very high and there has been quite a buzz about the new Nexus range. Just search the term Nexus 4 and count the number of articles about high demand and incredible value of the handset.

What's really interesting is the amount of excitement the Nexus 4 has created given there was no formal launch event and review models have been thin on the ground. There is no big marketing campaign, the phone has just had its specs released and the geeks have done the rest. The reviewers that have got involved have all come out in praise of the device, and it's excellent value, which is of no surprise.

And here we have a 6 page thread full of NSCers who've eagerly awaited news of this phone, so I'd hardly say it is of no interest to 99% of people.

Why did you rename the thread title? Why do you act threatened by people talking about devices to rival Apple products? Why do you perceive me as an enemy just because I like to talk about gadgets? Genuine questions.

You don't have any sales figures and your comment "outselling everything else and generating incredible levels of demand" was made up. Noted. Thanks.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Actually I'd be willing to stake that in the UK today no other handset would have sold more units than the Nexus 4 but you're right I can't back this up with any figures.

And, once again, you have no answers to my questions.

I think you want to get in an argument with an unwilling participant to be honest. I don't want to play Apple vs the world. I just want to know why you think I do

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here