Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Google Nexus 4 thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I must admit I am rather intrigued to know his reaction to this latest Android device and its low price.
[fingers in ears]La la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la[/fingers in ears]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This will kill Windows phones before users have had a chance to take their new purchases out of the box.

there was an oppurtunity for the new Nokias to really open up a third front with a significant price cut on the S3 and iphone. with parity pricing i dont see it going too well which is a shame as i think the windows tile thing looks good. at £240 for the lower model, this Nexus is going to steal alot of sales from everything else. its going to be free with modest ~£30/m tariffs, so will become very, very popular.

And Smith Did Score

May 9, 2010
Glasgow
If you have to mention Apple when you try to justify buying a new phone you should have a think first.
When I buy a new iPhone I couldn't give a flying **** what other phones are out there.
But each to their own! Enjoy

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
I think this whole discussion really depends on what you want from your phone. For me it's a very large screen so I have the galaxy Note. Everything else regardless of specs-price-material-prestige etc means nothing to me.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Best mobile phone ever made to be released THIS MONTH

Loo, like the look of this.
I think I might sell my iPhone 4s and get one of these for no other reason than that I fancy a change

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
You need a job at phones4you, or are you already working at Asda?

I write about consumer tech for a living.

there was an oppurtunity for the new Nokias to really open up a third front with a significant price cut on the S3 and iphone. with parity pricing i dont see it going too well which is a shame as i think the windows tile thing looks good. at £240 for the lower model, this Nexus is going to steal alot of sales from everything else. its going to be free with modest ~£30/m tariffs, so will become very, very popular.

You're absolutely right. I think the new Lumia 920 looks to be an absolutely barnstorming piece of kit and I actually like Windows Phone, despite being no Microsoft fan. The build of the Lumia devices has to be seen to be believed, they are incredibly solid and sexy. The one thing missing was the universality of the software. Windows Phone has a truly tiny selection of apps, and those it does have are often very badly designed and/or prohibitively expensive. The only way this was ever going to improve was to really encourage more people to switch to the Windows Phone ecosystem so as to convince more developers to populate the marketplace. With the very well designed new Nokias I thought there was genuine potential to start getting people to seriously think about a Windows Phone powered device over Android or iOS. The specs for the new 920 are much better than those of the latest iPhone which has got a lot of phone geeks salivating. We were all just waiting to hear how much cheaper it was going to be. The answer? It isn't.

So just like that, after all the hard work Nokia have been doing to try and crawl back some market share in a world they once completely owned, they've crippled their excellent new device. It's a big decision to give up your smartphone system these days. Loyalists to Apple or Android may well have a whole suite of apps they've invested in which they wish to keep, so you're already fighting a very difficult battle to try and sway people. To not be fighting this war on the price front is a massive error of judgement if you ask me.

I think this new Nexus 4 phone is going to fly off the shelves, just like the competitively priced Nexus 7 tablet has been (sales of a million a month now - Asustek: Nexus 7 Sales Approaching 1 million a Month - Digits - WSJ). It looks good, it has incredible power under the bonnet and it's a fraction of the cost of its rivals.

The only real stick to beat it with is its lack of 4G support, but I really don't think many consumers are going to be turned off by that.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I write about consumer tech for a living.

I'm definitely considering dropping Apple for Nexus this month. Slightly wary of the LG hardware so I'll have to see it in action properly before I part with my iPhone 4.
Have you read/seen much of the upcoming Nexus 10? So far it looks like it could be the best competition up against the iPad.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'm definitely considering dropping Apple for Nexus this month. Slightly wary of the LG hardware so I'll have to see it in action properly before I part with my iPhone 4.
Have you read/seen much of the upcoming Nexus 10? So far it looks like it could be the best competition up against the iPad.

I've not yet had a hands on, but again, preliminary reports are very favourable. Apparently it boasts an even better display than the iPads with their retina displays.

I think the design of the iPad is excellent, and I don't think the Nexus 10 will get as close to Apple on that front. But it does look like you would get superior hardware for a lot less money, if plumping for a Nexus device over the iPad.

It will be interesting to see how it fares in the upcoming hands on reviews and inevitable comparisons with the iPad. There's a good preview here: Google Nexus 10 preview - Techworld.com and the Guardian also seem impressed: Google wants more Android developers to aim for 'great tablet experiences' | Technology | guardian.co.uk

It's a real shame you can't go into a shop and play the Nexus, iPad and new Microsoft Surface against one another to get a feel for each

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
That's if you can buy a SIM free one from Apple direct, which isn't easy.

They cost even more on a contract and upwards of £600 on eBay!

bloody hell. I got my first ever iPhone a few months back (4s) as basically when I went out to get myself an android one the iphone was free, and I don't dislike apple so much as to turn down a very decent free smartphone.

can't imagine spending that much on a mobile

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
No 4g though, quite disappointing.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the short term. For now prices are hugely expensive, performance is on a par with modest WiFi/Broadband speeds and coverage is sparse. There have also been some suggestions that first generation 4G chips are not optimised for power consumption and will seriously impact battery life and then there is the issue of spectrum support. For all of these reasons 4G should be a niche product for consumers for at least the next 6-12 months.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
4G is a non-event for the general public until the main rollout which is not going to happen till next summer. The EE coverage is scant, the prices outragous and the current devices arent compatible with the new networks when they come. ignore it for a year.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
4G is a non-event for the general public until the main rollout which is not going to happen till next summer. The EE coverage is scant, the prices outragous and the current devices arent compatible with the new networks when they come. ignore it for a year.

Exactly why I don't think this is going to be a problem for the Nexus 4. It doesn't have 4G capability, and neither does most of the UK

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's a phone. One that will be obsolete in a few months.

D

Deleted member 18477

£239? That's ridiculously good value for a phone of that quality. Of course there are not many user reviews out yet, but it looks like it is just as good in terms of specs as most other phones released to date. I need a new phone and will buy this when it comes out in a couple of weeks.

just got a samsung s3 on contract. £15 per month cheaper than an iphone contract on O2 for me. I've decided to part company with apple from a phone point of view (still have an ipad but wouldnt mind getting the samsung tab 2 or nexus 10! This nexus looks good but i needed a phone now and the nexus is untested so far. a lot of good reviews from samsung users about the s3 so will be interested to see how the nexus 4 turns out!

i have no idea why i thought the well overpriced apple iphone was so good previously... the samsung s3 is a VERY smart phone and hopefully this nexus is too!

dont let apple trap you people! it nearly trapped me and it feels gooooooood to be free!

Last edited by a moderator:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here