[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Just got a text which I assume is from my doctor's surgery:

"Covid vaccination has commenced for our area at Portslade Health Centre. You will be contacted according to national priority guidance. Please DO NOT contact Portslade Health Centre for information or queries or requests for earlier vaccination."

So things are moving in this area.

My mum just had the call for her appointment at portslade

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Amazing news.

A huge boost to the vaccine programme for the spring when one would assume that mass vaccination for non-elderly & non-vulnerable adults will be under way.

3 down, half dozen or so to go (fingers crossed).

Yep, points towards us having enough stock to cope with a colossal ramping up and get through the whole population as quickly as possible. Great news.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
There must surely be a time coming when numbers of those inoculated intersects with all those who have had Covid and have the antibodies against it and herd immunity will be reached.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
There must surely be a time coming when numbers of those inoculated intersects with all those who have had Covid and have the antibodies against it and herd immunity will be reached.

Certainly a possibility, although of course it’s difficult to know exactly when, because scientists don’t know for certain how long protection lasts once you’ve had it. However there have been no known symptomatic reinfections which would suggest people who had it in February/March/April COULD still be immune to it now, or at very least won’t be seriously ill if they had it again.

Not enough is known yet but if that is the case, you would think once say the 10m most vulnerable are vaccinated there simply must be a cross over, this added to the fact that during December nearly 200000 per day were catching it.

I think in 4-6 weeks time cases will be down massively but worth remembering the cross over with hospitalisation and ICU patients may take longer to go down, I think March is a fair guess for a removal of many restrictions if all goes well.

If you think the estimate of on average 150k being infected every day in December is nearly 5M people over the course of December by itself, which is obviously terrible but will mean many have a ‘natural vaccination’ you might say.

Providing we all do our bit now I think this is the final showdown,

Edit: Another thing that Matt Wankcock said is that once the most vulnerable 10% of our population are immune, deaths would reduce by 80%.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I had to pop in to Lewes during my lunch-break, and walked past the Surgery behind Harvey's Brewery.
Not a massive queue outside waiting for the vaccine jab, which surprised me, but enough of them there for me to feel completely uplifted and energized at the thought of what they were doing. Had a big smile from ear to ear under my mask.
Quite emotional really, as it was the first physical evidence I've seen of people getting it done....but I felt the best I have done for a long time at the realization that it really is underway, and I've had a spring in my step all afternoon :clap:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My mum and brother (both care home workers) are getting their first vaccine doses tomorrow, which is certainly good news as far as I'm concerned.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Certainly a possibility, although of course it’s difficult to know exactly when, because scientists don’t know for certain how long protection lasts once you’ve had it. However there have been no known symptomatic reinfections which would suggest people who had it in February/March/April COULD still be immune to it now, or at very least won’t be seriously ill if they had it again.

Not enough is known yet but if that is the case, you would think once say the 10m most vulnerable are vaccinated there simply must be a cross over, this added to the fact that during December nearly 200000 per day were catching it.

I think in 4-6 weeks time cases will be down massively but worth remembering the cross over with hospitalisation and ICU patients may take longer to go down, I think March is a fair guess for a removal of many restrictions if all goes well.

If you think the estimate of on average 150k being infected every day in December is nearly 5M people over the course of December by itself, which is obviously terrible but will mean many have a ‘natural vaccination’ you might say.

Providing we all do our bit now I think this is the final showdown,

Edit: Another thing that Matt Wankcock said is that once the most vulnerable 10% of our population are immune, deaths would reduce by 80%.

Going to mention this on the other Covid thread.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I had to pop in to Lewes during my lunch-break, and walked past the Surgery behind Harvey's Brewery.
Not a massive queue outside waiting for the vaccine jab, which surprised me, but enough of them there for me to feel completely uplifted and energized at the thought of what they were doing. Had a big smile from ear to ear under my mask.
Quite emotional really, as it was the first physical evidence I've seen of people getting it done....but I felt the best I have done for a long time at the realization that it really is underway, and I've had a spring in my step all afternoon :clap:

Brilliant isn't it ? Felt the same when daughter messaged me to say she was having her first jab........she said it was the best present she could have had for Christmas.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm happy as my wife is currently in the queue to get her jab at the Conquest with lots of other clinical staff, although its bloody cold sitting in the car park outside for an hour and counting, she's ten minutes from getting it now apparently.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm happy as my wife is currently in the queue to get her jab at the Conquest with lots of other clinical staff, although its bloody cold sitting in the car park outside for an hour and counting, she's ten minutes from getting it now apparently.

Nice view out to sea

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
My daughter was asked to go into work today for the start of the vaccine roll out from Worthing's Shelley Road practice - she's on the admin side, but gets her vaccine today. My aunt who works in a care home had her vaccine at Christmas and my 76 year old dad had his first vaccine yesterday morning!

This thread has been magnificent for so many months, but I'd had nothing super positive to contribute until now. Thank you to so many of you that spent so long posting so many positives.

As someone who works in education, it's been quite a week, but I am incredibly hopeful that the vaccine programme will now drag us through this pandemic even sooner and we can all get on with making he most of everything we love to do. :rave:

Can't now find the article (sure it was on the BBC site) regarding researchers trying to establish why (for example) a 104 care home resident can get Covid and have just a mild illness whilst a young and healthy adult (think the guy that featured in a different BBC article was a fireman in his late twenties) was very ill and left in an a weakened state on recovery.

The article tried to describe what the researchers were doing to find out why and come up with treatments. I think that the upshot was the certain strands of DNA were common in those badly affected but my brain hurt just reading the theory, trying to understand how they had discovered this and how you see DNA's in the first place was a stage too far for my small brain. Disrespectful perhaps but it made me think of this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPvRsLWlDXw

...And how we should be grateful that there are "clever b*astards.." out there with the brain power to research things like this and and come up with a solution. So hats off to anyone on this board who perhaps is one of those ""clever b*astards.." or has a friend or relative in that category.

:bowdown: :bowdown::bowdown:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Can't now find the article (sure it was on the BBC site) regarding researchers trying to establish why (for example) a 104 care home resident can get Covid and have just a mild illness whilst a young and healthy adult (think the guy that featured in a different BBC article was a fireman in his late twenties) was very ill and left in an a weakened state on recovery.

The article tried to describe what the researchers were doing to find out why and come up with treatments. I think that the upshot was the certain strands of DNA were common in those badly affected but my brain hurt just reading the theory, trying to understand how they had discovered this and how you see DNA's in the first place was a stage too far for my small brain. Disrespectful perhaps but it made me think of this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPvRsLWlDXw

...And how we should be grateful that there are "clever b*astards.." out there with the brain power to research things like this and and come up with a solution. So hats off to anyone on this board who perhaps is one of those ""clever b*astards.." or has a friend or relative in that category.

:bowdown: :bowdown::bowdown:

They're keeping themselves to themselves if they are on here :)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My 87 year old mum has had her two jabs as have the similarly aged inlaws. We are hugely relieved !!

:thumbsup: just waiting for my mum and dad to get there notification, problem is their surname begins with a W so still a wait yet as its being done alphabetical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports