[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
going badly in places. apparently France is more concerned about anti-vaxxer lobby and only dished out 5000. Dutch only started yesturday. very odd.

The problem with the French is red tape. They absolutely love a form. My dad who lives there said that Nursing Home residents have to sign a consent form that it's likely they may either not understand or not be physically able to do.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A long way to go, but a third goal would help us all feel better.

And it's a long time since I've said that on NSC :thumbsup:

I posted this yesterday...so not just a third

If this comes to be then it’s definitely good news

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/...437097991?s=21

Both J&J and Novavax should be revealing the efficacy results for their Covid vaccines within the next 3 weeks.

The UK has ordered 60 million doses of Novavax’s vaccine and 30 million of J&J’s one dose vaccine.

This equates to enough vaccines for 60 million people.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The problem with the French is red tape. They absolutely love a form. My dad who lives there said that Nursing Home residents have to sign a consent form that it's likely they may either not understand or not be physically able to do.

Gives me a slight smile when I see neighbouring countries doing things not quite so well as ‘us’ ..some people are very keen to compare us unfavourably..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
It was reported yesterday that the French require all recipients of the vaccination to have a consultation 5 days prior to receiving it to confirm each patient is suitable. This has created serious delays and is frustrating the French population apparently.

It sounded a bit far fetched to me, but it was the BBC lunchtime news that reported it.

The big problem isn't the roll out of vaccines by member states it's that the member states don't have the vaccines because the EU (rather than member states) got their procurement strategy (with hindsight) wrong. It is why credit should go the the UK gov for getting its procurement right. There were calls that we should join the EU's procurement vaccines strategy but thankfully we didnt. My German uncle aged over 70 will likely not get his vaccine until summer. Brunswick was given 1000 vaccines for 250,000. This isn't a leave or remain post, it's just how it has gone. The good news is that the UK should be vaccinated by summer and hopefully Europe will only be a few months behind should some of the EU's ordered vaccines start being delivered to member states. I'm pretty confident that as soon as they have the vaccine in Germany then they will get it into arms pronto. I expect / hope France will be the same.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
500,000 more doses of Oxford approved and ready.

Gonna get a fair bit of info on the next stage of ramping up tonight from sounds of it.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Some massive positives in Tim Spector’s latest update.
-Wales may be past its peak
- London to peak in around a week
-Lower rates in north and South-west England

Positive on vaccine roll out.

I particularly like the idea that you can use the lockdown as an opportunity to improve physical and mental health too.
https://youtu.be/VG-8U5rIgfs

Last edited:

1. This is a good news thread - please respect that if you wish to be able to read and contribute to it.
2. The UK ordered 5m (not 10m) Moderna doses in mid-November when the early trial results were known. 2m additional doses were ordered later on.

(The good news...)

3. The UK has orders in place for 357m vaccine doses including, significantly, 140m of the two vaccines already approved:

100 million doses of University of Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine
40 million doses of BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine
7 million doses of Moderna vaccine
60 million doses of Novavax vaccine
60 million doses of Valneva vaccine
60 million doses of GSK/Sanofi Pasteur vaccine
30 million doses of Janssen vaccine

Whether through luck, judgment or some combination of the two, the UK looks well-placed, thankfully, for vaccines, unlike the EU which seems to be having a complete 'mare.

Due to the worldwide demand, im pretty certain that if (hopefully) we turn out not to need them all then other countries can buy them from us.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
ICU doc was being interviewed on the radio earlier this morning saying how, towards the end of every day, they are offering up ‘left over’ vacc to staff who haven’t had it yet. Literally as simple as shouting it out.......

When the staff are all done I wonder if they can just dish it out to random people in the hospital. In the end they'll be shouting out at people in the street!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The single-dose Janssen vaccine is ‘highly likely to work’ and to ‘have supplies available for the UK in a time frame that would allow it just to catch the mid-February target’, vaccine taskforce adviser Sir John Bell has told the Telegraph.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My missus had her 2nd dose the other day, so a big sigh of relief all round.
Shes working this weekend 8-5pm both days at Sussex House, so hopefully it'll mean at least another few hundred in Brighton will be safe come next week.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The single-dose Janssen vaccine is ‘highly likely to work’ and to ‘have supplies available for the UK in a time frame that would allow it just to catch the mid-February target’, vaccine taskforce adviser Sir John Bell has told the Telegraph.

I understand the NSC-tested Novavax is likely to be ready in a similar timeframe too.

I can only find a link from the Mail so won't share it - but the Dr on the trial indicated similar.

As an aside I felt a bit headachy and queasy on Friday (same bug my wife had last week) - so had to let them know. They had me up to the hospital for monitoring and I've had a COVID test every day for five days. Just for anyone who thinks these trials aren't being done thoroughly!

Edit: here's a link from Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-novavax-vaccine-idUSKBN292171

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I understand the NSC-tested Novavax is likely to be ready in a similar timeframe too.

I can only find a link from the Mail so won't share it - but the Dr on the trial indicated similar.

As an aside I felt a bit headachy and queasy on Friday (same bug my wife had last week) - so had to let them know. They had me up to the hospital for monitoring and I've had a COVID test every day for five days. Just for anyone who thinks these trials aren't being done thoroughly!

Edit: here's a link from Reuters: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-novavax-vaccine-idUSKBN292171

Hope you are feeling better now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports