[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Looks a good un
New "life saving drugs" have been shown to reduce risk of death from Covid by 24% and can also reduce time spent in hospital by 10 days.

Supplies of the drugs are already in UK hospitals and will be used immediately.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...-of-death-by-24-government-announces-12181646

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1347215099862380551?s=21

:clap: Everything firming up for things to be considerably better by Easter IMO. A close friend of mine was approached via letter just before Christmas to have his blood tested having had confirmed COVID back in early April, he only had mild symptoms at the time but blood testing confirmed he still has reactive T-cells and antibodies in his blood.

Whilst the estimates of 150000 per day being infected Christmas week (latest ONS estimate) are also pretty terrible and will undoubtably lead to more tragic deaths, it also means a very considerable amount of people are gaining natural immunity, I’m hoping surveys like the one my friend took part in are being used to decipher whether people who have already had the virus get the vaccine.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
.....and given the compilation of that cohort, the potential downward impact on future death/serious illness numbers is immense. [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

And every day the impact just becomes that little bit greater which is a comforting thought.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
It's awaiting peer review but a study in Texas shows the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is effective against the 2 new variants.

Reuters

Yoda

English & European
The following vaccination sites are planned to go live towards the end of next week:
Lancing Parish Hall
St Lawrence Surgery
Saxonbury House Medical Group
Tangmere Hall
Westcourt Medical Centre
Brighton Racecourse
Cyprus Hall, Burgess Hill
Meridian Hall, East Grinstead
The Selsey Centre

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The following vaccination sites are planned to go live towards the end of next week:
Lancing Parish Hall
St Lawrence Surgery
Tangmere Hall
Westcourt Medical Centre
Brighton Racecourse
The Selsey Centre

Good news if so.....although a few days ago we were told the site for Burgess Hill was Clair Hall in H Heath (Cyprus Hall was an earlier suggestion).

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It's awaiting peer review but a study in Texas shows the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is effective against the 2 new variants.

Reuters

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...esearch-suggests-jab-still-effective-12182034

Here’s the Sky news report, 20 people blood tested, all 20 fought off the virus. Great news.

The variants share a common mutation called "N501Y", a slight alteration on one spot of the spike protein that coats the virus - making them more easy to spread.

Researchers from the University of Texas Medical Branch and Pfizer used blood samples from 20 people who received the jab and found their antibodies successfully fended off the virus in lab dishes.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Just got a text which I assume is from my doctor's surgery:

"Covid vaccination has commenced for our area at Portslade Health Centre. You will be contacted according to national priority guidance. Please DO NOT contact Portslade Health Centre for information or queries or requests for earlier vaccination."

So things are moving in this area.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just got a text which I assume is from my doctor's surgery:

"Covid vaccination has commenced for our area at Portslade Health Centre. You will be contacted according to national priority guidance. Please DO NOT contact Portslade Health Centre for information or queries or requests for earlier vaccination."

So things are moving in this area.

:clap:

That's my surgery! Been quite worried about the old boy two doors down from me. Hopefully he's towards the top of the queue and they'll get to me some time next winter.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Lancing Parish Hall
St Lawrence Surgery
Tangmere Hall
Westcourt Medical Centre
Brighton Racecourse
The Selsey Centre

Bit chilly having it done on the racecourse :whistle:

Yoda

English & European
Good news if so.....although a few days ago we were told the site for Burgess Hill was Clair Hall in H Heath (Cyprus Hall was an earlier suggestion).

Portslade Health Centre were initially going to be set up in a tent in the car park, but then decided to do it elsewhere in the building. So many changes being made

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
My surgery in Eastbourne has sent me a text saying they are vaccinating. I am unlikely to get the vaccine, but this town is one place that needs it.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports