Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
My 89 year old Mum is booked in tomorrow(Sunday), she is delighted as she currently has cabin fever.

Several friends parents have had two jabs, it's a bit slow in East Surrey but the Council offices in Oxted are opening next week as a new centre. It's all very encouraging news.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
My 89 year old Mum is booked in tomorrow(Sunday), she is delighted as she currently has cabin fever.

Several friends parents have had two jabs, it's a bit slow in East Surrey but the Council offices in Oxted are opening next week as a new centre. It's all very encouraging news.

My father in law had his first jab yesterday at the council offices in oxted yesterday

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My parents in law, both in their late 80’s are having their second jab on Monday . We were surprised as we thought that once you had the one, that was it for a while.

Dr tells me that although I am taking warfarin and hypertension tabs, I am not a priority, which I am happy with although I would like my wife to have one who is in school full time again from Monday and is very much on the front line as far as close contact with children.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My parents in law, both in their late 80’s are having their second jab on Monday . We were surprised as we thought that once you had the one, that was it for a while.

Dr tells me that although I am taking warfarin and hypertension tabs, I am not a priority, which I am happy with although I would like my wife to have one who is in school full time again from Monday and is very much on the front line as far as close contact with children.

With the schools seemingly much more full than expected I hope teachers and other schoolworkers get elevated up the priority list rather than remaining in their own age group - maybe next after the O55 or O60s perhaps. I’d happily wait a bit longer to allow it to happen.......send mobile crews round to the schools and get it done maybe.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
With the schools seemingly much more full than expected I hope teachers and other schoolworkers get elevated up the priority list rather than remaining in their own age group - maybe next after the O55 or O60s perhaps. I’d happily wait a bit longer to allow it to happen.......send mobile crews round to the schools and get it done maybe.

Supermarket workers Should be before certain teachers, the number of unknown people they come into contact with are higher and with some teachers now teaching from home it makes sense.

my 82 yr old fathers just had his 2nd jab now. means finally in a few weeks I can go out! , Literally been out twice since March apart from local shopping. Hopefully my old man will take the opportunity to get a little exercise whilst hes still able to after 10 months indoors.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Supermarket workers Should be before certain teachers, the number of unknown people they come into contact with are higher and with some teachers now teaching from home it makes sense.

Herein lies the problem. Teachers, supermarket workers, police, nurses, hospital security, dinner ladies - you choose. All and more have a strong case. Hence its being done by age and current health.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
my 82 yr old fathers just had his 2nd jab now. means finally in a few weeks I can go out! , Literally been out twice since March apart from local shopping. Hopefully my old man will take the opportunity to get a little exercise whilst hes still able to after 10 months indoors.

That’s great news.

What’s the advice when it comes to what you can do?

Are you still advised to shield him? Partially?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Herein lies the problem. Teachers, supermarket workers, police, nurses, hospital security, dinner ladies - you choose. All and more have a strong case. Hence its being done by age and current health.

And the Government really hasn’t got time to waste on endless committee meetings to decide on priority. NSC deliberated for weeks on ‘fair’ allocation of 2000 Amex tickets ! All that matters is they get on with the vaccinations and the best way to achieve it is to ignore all pleading from special interest groups.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021

It does seem difficult to do any other way. I find these groups and trade unions saying they should have it first whether the teachers, police or whoever are missing the mood. The worst of the lot tho' are the footballers. Did anyone else see the Burnley manager disgracing himself by saying they will pay the same amount they pay on testing to get the vaccine as "that would be better for the NHS". He knows full well that if his teenage and 20/30 something footballers get it then people older and who are more vulnerable or who earn less and need to work, won't get it. If I was his boss then I'd be thinking whether I would want to be in the same city, county, or country as him, never mind employ him. He really should hang his head in shame.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It does seem difficult to do any other way. I find these groups and trade unions saying they should have it first whether the teachers, police or whoever are missing the mood. The worst of the lot tho' are the footballers. Did anyone else see the Burnley manager disgracing himself by saying they will pay the same amount they pay on testing to get the vaccine as "that would be better for the NHS". He knows full well that if his teenage and 20/30 something footballers get it then people older and who are more vulnerable or who earn less and need to work, won't get it. If I was his boss then I'd be thinking whether I would want to be in the same city, county, or country as him, never mind employ him. He really should hang his head in shame.

He actually made a good point on football, how much are they spending on tests, agree or not - I’m not sure he has to hang his head in shame.

The amount of money being spent on testing in the Premier League, if that money was channelled back into the NHS and the vaccinations system, surely that’s a better place to be than it is just continuing testing a load of footballers two, three, four times a week. I appreciate there’ll be some people who say, ‘why should footballers get vaccinated?’, but ... if there’s 20 Premier League clubs and 100 vaccinations at a club, let’s say, I would imagine the payback to the system, the NHS and the vaccination system, financially, would be considerable.
“I’m told if you are vaccinated, you don’t need to keep testing. So therefore if the testing diminishes, that money could be used for a much better cause in my opinion, and therefore football stays a competitive industry rather than what it might end up, a skewed industry, because of players missing from games. I appreciate there will be people who disagree with me, probably wholeheartedly, but I just think the balance of getting some vaccinations quicker throughout football, the payback would be enormous.”

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And the Government really hasn’t got time to waste on endless committee meetings to decide on priority. NSC deliberated for weeks on ‘fair’ allocation of 2000 Amex tickets ! All that matters is they get on with the vaccinations and the best way to achieve it is to ignore all pleading from special interest groups.

There are five priority groups as I understand it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here