Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
He actually made a good point on football, how much are they spending on tests, agree or not - I’m not sure he has to hang his head in shame.

The amount of money being spent on testing in the Premier League, if that money was channelled back into the NHS and the vaccinations system, surely that’s a better place to be than it is just continuing testing a load of footballers two, three, four times a week. I appreciate there’ll be some people who say, ‘why should footballers get vaccinated?’, but ... if there’s 20 Premier League clubs and 100 vaccinations at a club, let’s say, I would imagine the payback to the system, the NHS and the vaccination system, financially, would be considerable.
“I’m told if you are vaccinated, you don’t need to keep testing. So therefore if the testing diminishes, that money could be used for a much better cause in my opinion, and therefore football stays a competitive industry rather than what it might end up, a skewed industry, because of players missing from games. I appreciate there will be people who disagree with me, probably wholeheartedly, but I just think the balance of getting some vaccinations quicker throughout football, the payback would be enormous.”

Have to agree to disagree. Where does he propose to push in for his 21 year old footballer? In front of the 90 year olds, 80 year olds, 70 year olds, terminally ill with 1 year to live and who would like to see some life before they die, or the factory worker who wants to pay the bills, or in front of other 21 year olds who might have no interest in football but would like to go travelling? Just wait your turn.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Have to agree to disagree. Where does he propose to push in for his 21 year old footballer? In front of the 90 year olds, 80 year olds, 70 year olds, terminally ill with 1 year to live and who would like to see some life before they die, or the factory worker who wants to pay the bills, or in front of other 21 year olds who might have no interest in football but would like to go travelling? Just wait your turn.

I’m very much on the fence on it - I see both sides of the argument.

Realistically, it’s 2000 jabs from what I understand - how much of a delay will that cause to the rest? I think we all fall into the trap of seeing the headlines without looking at the figures and just automatically think selfish footballers.

How many tests are we using up? I think he was suggesting they donate that money to NHS as well still

But you are also correct on those people as well.

Partly My fault - but this is the good news thread we are not posting good news on! Let’s leave it

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There are nine before the general population. It’s based on age and vulnerability. I am in the 9th (50-55 age group)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...id-19-vaccination-first-phase-priority-groups

Ah, thanks for that. I'm in group 2 but we were told we were getting tested twice a week, every week starting in September '20 and not one of us has seen a test yet so I hope they make a better fist of the vaccinations. But in the good news category I am optimistic that this will be done well. Seems to be going well so far.

Yoda

English & European
Ah, thanks for that. I'm in group 2 but we were told we were getting tested twice a week, every week starting in September '20 and not one of us has seen a test yet so I hope they make a better fist of the vaccinations. But in the good news category I am optimistic that this will be done well. Seems to be going well so far.

Glad to hear it for your sake.

I want to know if they include NHS IT departments as front line (knowing the government, no). We are currently down to the bare bones in my CSU. All the field and infrastructure engineers available to go out are being tasked with setting up the vaccination centres. 2 are off with it, 2 are self isolating as close contacts and I've lost track of how many are signed off with either stress or depression. The service desk is understaffed and we're getting hammered due to people having to work from home again and vpn/connection issues and a back log of calls getting bigger each day due to the most senior management wanting the SD to concentrate on answering calls, when most of them are calling to chase outstanding issues we currently don't have time to resolve.

I know on of the engineers was lucky enough to get his first shot today due to being in the right place at the right time. He was setting up one of the vaccine centres yesterday and was asked if he wanted to come back in today for one. I can only assume some of the vaccine has been distributed before they were ready and need to get as much into arms to avoid wastage.

Apologies for going of track there, back to the good news:

My other half should be getting hers next either next week or the week after due to working in a care home.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Over a third of over 80s in UK have had their first jab now.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Pensioners who have refused the Pfizer vaccine because it’s foreign and want the Oxford one instead have seen their Pfizer jabs go to NHS staff instead of seeing them wasted.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pensioners who have refused the Pfizer vaccine because it’s foreign and want the Oxford one instead have seen their Pfizer jabs go to NHS staff instead of seeing them wasted.

Seems to be standard practice that any ‘left over’ from opened packages and no-shows at the end of each day is being offered to staff. Nice bit of efficiency there.

Also good that an attempt to buy the left-overs was quickly squashed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55593210

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hancock confirms the UK is currently vaccinating 200,000 a day. From tomorrow we’ll see if this is bearing out in the daily figures.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Seems to be standard practice that any ‘left over’ from opened packages and no-shows at the end of each day is being offered to staff. Nice bit of efficiency there.

Also good that an attempt to buy the left-overs was quickly squashed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-55593210

Wow, that link is a horrible read. Some people really are vile
GOOD NEWS that the NHS put them in their place

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Question, once you have had the first jab, are the vulnerable expected to self isolate for the next 10 days?
On the radio a doctor said it takes up to 10 days for immunity to set in, so you can still catch it in that 10 days. If so is it still as dangerous?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Question, once you have had the first jab, are the vulnerable expected to self isolate for the next 10 days?
On the radio a doctor said it takes up to 10 days for immunity to set in, so you can still catch it in that 10 days. If so is it still as dangerous?

There is a period of time it takes to take effect, not sure how long but thought I read around three weeks

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Yes it is. You won’t get immunity for 2 weeks after. Same as the flu jab and others. Carry on as you are until the immunity kicks in. It’s not that you are ‘expected to self isolate.’ It’s more that is what is in your interest if you want to avoid catching the virus.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Some positive vaccine stats:

- Around 2 million people in the UK have now been vaccinated.

- 200,000 are currently being vaccinated a day

- On course to hit 2 million a week

- More people vaccinated in the last week than in the whole of the first month.

[tweet]1348204570544119814[/tweet]

Stumpy Tim

Some positive vaccine stats:

- Around 2 million people in the UK have now been vaccinated.

- 200,000 are currently being vaccinated a day

- On course to hit 2 million a week

- More people vaccinated in the last week than in the whole of the first month.

[tweet]1348204570544119814[/tweet]

This government have been shambolic, but I have to admit that this vaccination program looks like it is going well. Credit where it's due.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Yes it is. You won’t get immunity for 2 weeks after. Same as the flu jab and others. Carry on as you are until the immunity kicks in. It’s not that you are ‘expected to self isolate.’ It’s more that is what is in your interest if you want to avoid catching the virus.

It should be remembered that firstly you might not get immunity as its not 100% effective and even if you do get immunity its still to be proved whether it can still be passed on. So its still essential that social distancing and mask use are carried out by everybody jab or no jab.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here