Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 2nd Test, Lords, June 28 - July 02, 2023

Ashes- 2nd Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Disagree about the toss. Putting them in with the conditions as they were that morning was a no-brainer. We are also a team thats usually pretty good on a chase.
Unfortunately we've had the perfect conditions for bowling and batting going ALL our way, plus Lyon going MIA, and still contrived to completely f*ck it up.
Unfortunately at Lords we’ve often seen teams getting inserted due to conditions overhead, I’m surprised they haven’t realised Lords is actually a batting paradise, has been for years.

I’d like to know who the pitch curators are, why on earth have we produced two of the slowest, deadest pitches in England that offer very little assistance to the English nippy type bowlers, or anything this type of pitch just assists those bowlers with a bit of extra pace because the medium quicks have struggled massively.

Weirdly despite everything, jf England can get a plan together against the short ball (use some nous) we can chase 400/450 on this pitch, I’m convinced of it, especially with no Lyon.

Deluded? Probably, but this pitch is incredibly docile.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I read that in the first three innings of this series that England have bowled 40% more overs than the Aussies. Their bowlers therefore are at least 33% fresher than ours. And that’s yet another downside to accelerated Bazball.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I read that in the first three innings of this series that England have bowled 40% more overs than the Aussies. Their bowlers therefore are at least 33% fresher than ours. And that’s yet another downside to accelerated Bazball.
That assumes an equal level of freshness going into the series and exactly equivalent fitness and and recovery levels. Unlikely and the differences will have been factored in and analysed, otherwise we wouldn’t be doing it. I don’t see any downside to Bazball. It works as intended in that it is high risk. If you throw it out as soon as it isn’t successful you will never again reap the rewards of the past 18 months.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
If you remove the overs bowled as spin, it becomes even more extreme. Our ‘quicks’ if you can call them that, have bowled 50% more overs than theirs in the 8 days of cricket so far. And we have another tough full day in the field today, and another Test starting in just 5 days time. Deep inside the Aussie camp, they are laughing their tits off at the way our naivety, delusion and arrogance are causing an accelerated cataclysmic implosion, in the greatest sporting conquest. Laughing their tits off. And all the ex-player pundits know precisely that.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If you remove the overs bowled as spin, it becomes even more extreme. Our ‘quicks’ if you can call them that, have bowled 50% more overs than theirs in the 8 days of cricket so far. And we have another tough full day in the field today, and another Test starting in just 5 days time. Deep inside the Aussie camp, they are laughing their tits off at the way our naivety, delusion and arrogance are causing an accelerated cataclysmic implosion, in the greatest sporting conquest. Laughing their tits off. And all the ex-player pundits know precisely that.
On the flip side, the Aussies have seen us chase big totals pretty quick in some matches recently, and given this you can bet they will be very cautious with a declaration, which MIGHT help England save the test match, I don’t see the Aussies declaring for anything under 500 without a spinner, given we are 1.5-0 down it would be interesting if England would swallow their pride and just bat normally for the draw.

Obviously the first innings collapse was idiotic but we were cruising at 190/1 and the pitch doesn’t look to be getting any worse, if anything judging by yesterday the quicks are going to start finding it hard pounding in on the take off areas that are falling to pieces.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
On the flip side, the Aussies have seen us chase big totals pretty quick in some matches recently, and given this you can bet they will be very cautious with a declaration, which MIGHT help England save the test match, I don’t see the Aussies declaring for anything under 500 without a spinner, given we are 1.5-0 down it would be interesting if England would swallow their pride and just bat normally for the draw.

Obviously the first innings collapse was idiotic but we were cruising at 190/1 and the pitch doesn’t look to be getting any worse, if anything judging by yesterday the quicks are going to start finding it hard pounding in on the take off areas that are falling to pieces.
Some good points, but the flaw in the argument is highlighted....:)

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Some good points, but the flaw in the argument is highlighted....:)
Indeed, would they try to chase down say 500 with 90 overs play available for example?

They have always said they will try and chase down anything but in this instance, a draw wouldn’t be the worst result possible, win 2 of the last 3 and take the series? A loss is series over basically, at least a draw would mean we could win 2 and have a draw/rain out and take the series

Like you highlight though, I think this England side would prefer to go down hoiking and wafting than just batting out for a draw, it feels like a nonsensical manly ego thing just like the refusal/inability to duck bouncers

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Unfortunately at Lords we’ve often seen teams getting inserted due to conditions overhead, I’m surprised they haven’t realised Lords is actually a batting paradise, has been for years.

I’d like to know who the pitch curators are, why on earth have we produced two of the slowest, deadest pitches in England that offer very little assistance to the English nippy type bowlers, or anything this type of pitch just assists those bowlers with a bit of extra pace because the medium quicks have struggled massively.

Weirdly despite everything, jf England can get a plan together against the short ball (use some nous) we can chase 400/450 on this pitch, I’m convinced of it, especially with no Lyon.

Deluded? Probably, but this pitch is incredibly docile.
Lords must make £6m+ per day for a big test match. They’re never preparing pitches that aren’t going to go into the 5th day.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Indeed, would they try to chase down say 500 with 90 overs play available for example?

They have always said they will try and chase down anything but in this instance, a draw wouldn’t be the worst result possible, win 2 of the last 3 and take the series? A loss is series over basically, at least a draw would mean we could win 2 and have a draw/rain out and take the series

Like you highlight though, I think this England side would prefer to go down hoiking and wafting than just batting out for a draw, it feels like a nonsensical manly ego thing just like the refusal/inability to duck bouncers
Well....they have the choice......grit it out and stay in the series or biff/bang/wallop and 0-2.
Anything over 280-290 and I don't fancy us and I don't see the Aussies losing 8 wickets for 60-70 runs today.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
In the first Test, we declared after 78 overs and no Aussie had bowled more than 15 overs. They were fresher coming at us in the second innings.
Although a number of wickets have been given away cheaply thus far, it is also fair to say that the bowling and catching has been below par. Key chances have been missed, costing big runs and to be honest, Broad, Anderson and Robinson have all failed to exert enough pressure. Over the five days at Edgbaston and three here, so far, we haven't won enough sessions and when we have been in the ascendancy, we have let it slip.
To grip the interest of the general public, England need to stay in this series for as long as possible. If it goes 0-2, then that interest will start to wane. Those that place beating the Aussies at the top of their agenda will switch off first. Those that claim being entertained is more important, will cling to the hope that England can rally and that Bazball is worth perservering with.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
WI struggling against Scotland at the moment, lose that and qualifying for the World Cup seems nearly impossible
Lose that and it would be totally impossible. They could only get to 4 points. Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe are already on 6.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Persisting with Anderson, given he’s been our worst bowler this series that seems odd when you need wickets, and fast.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
In the first Test, we declared after 78 overs and no Aussie had bowled more than 15 overs. They were fresher coming at us in the second innings.
Although a number of wickets have been given away cheaply thus far, it is also fair to say that the bowling and catching has been below par. Key chances have been missed, costing big runs and to be honest, Broad, Anderson and Robinson have all failed to exert enough pressure. Over the five days at Edgbaston and three here, so far, we haven't won enough sessions and when we have been in the ascendancy, we have let it slip.
To grip the interest of the general public, England need to stay in this series for as long as possible. If it goes 0-2, then that interest will start to wane. Those that place beating the Aussies at the top of their agenda will switch off first. Those that claim being entertained is more important, will cling to the hope that England can rally and that Bazball is worth perservering with.
So who do you want as captain ? Stokes’ team’s style is the one he wants.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Don't get me started about replicating a moving cricket ball.
Apparently its entirely predictable, irrespective of conditions. We are led to believe that it is by some way highly accurate. Ok....I doff my cap to them for their genius in replicating the one ball in sport that is most unpredictable in movement. Its a guideline, that is all. If you have ever bowled six balls at a set of stumps, you will be certain that 2-3, when they leave your hand, are hitting. Invariably, they don't. The late movement of a cricket ball is entirely unpredictable.
Without the benefit of ball tracking as a guide, many umpires are reluctant to give too many lbw's, particularly where height is concerned. If there is a scintilla of doubt, the batsman gets the benefit. At Test level, a lot of decisions are reversed, based on this, apparently, failsafe system, even though the umpire's gut feeling is different.
We’re going to get them out for a 365 lead and we’re going to chase that down tomorrow. There I said it.
You’re drinking early Boldy

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Aussies will get a lead of around 450 and declare sometime after tea, after some fighting talk from Stokes about chasing it down we’re all out for about 130 before lunch tomorrow

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here