Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 2nd Test, Lords, June 28 - July 02, 2023

Ashes- 2nd Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That LBW looked plumb in front for me

Ball looks like it’s hooping in when it’s bowled full
All too late now anyway. 200 + lead with 9 wickets in hand...this match now comes down to how many runs the Australians want to win by. I've quit TMS
for the day...too depressing.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Well, that sums us up really, heads have gone, no one is thinking straight one, don’t review one that looked plumb. Think Stokes has lost the plot in this match.
Yeah I dunno about you but for me Stokes looks like a captain feeling the pressure of A) his own form B) Team being handsomely beaten.

The players know how important the ashes is and this last day of play looks like the ashes are pretty much done.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Yayyy a wicket

Steve smith on his way out to take his place alongside brick wall Khawaja, oh f**k

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Open question in what is a winning score for Australia 350 or more likely 425+ and they don't have Lyon to call on ?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Open question in what is a winning score for Australia 350 or more likely 425+ and they don't have Lyon to call on ?
Don’t need Lyon, England were 192-1 when Lyon got injured, Australia then switched to the short ball game and got 9-130 odd

Not having a spinner only actually comes into the equation if the opposition are willing to ground your pace bowlers down a little bit, which evidently we are not

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Australia are not going to take any risks whatsoever, they are 1 up and I think they’re caught up in doing everything the opposite of how England have been so aren’t going to declare aggressively. Only way we’ll be chasing less than 400 imho is we’ve bowled them out, because they’ll bat up to say 30mins before tea tomorrow.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Anything over 250 tends to favour the side defending it. 300+ is a winning target.
Are trends changing? Certainly for England over the last year in India etc, Australia last test, I think 300 is the new 250 and 350+ is the new 300+

With England’s batting, they can score 400 in a day, I know that is not the same on day 4 or 5 but this pitch doesn’t look like it’s going to deteriorate.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Is this pantomime, or are these two just unable to act like adults ?

Last edited:

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
England are playing like a bunch of clowns. Stokes is trying to rewrite the unwritten rules of cricket - don't declare a first innings and don't win the toss and insert your opponents.
He's trying to become some sort of legend but is totally ficking it up.
I predict an Australian whitewash.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think the team has gotten far too wrapped up in the whole "Bazball" mythology in this series. Prior to this we've played aggressively with intelligence this last 18 months, and achieved some notable, thrilling results with controlled aggression at the right time. But now, against Australia (the World Champions), we've tried to push it too far against very canny opponents who are now just picking us off. We're being overly aggressive for the sake of it, without taking into account the match situation, and gifting them wickets left right and centre. I mean Root, in particular, the best batsman in the world to shore up an innings, just chucking it away AGAIN ?? Sake.

Added to that we have had all the shoddy fielding. This is only going one way. And I can hear the Aussies now: "You can shove your f*cking Bazball up ytour arse"

:facepalm:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
England are playing like a bunch of clowns. Stokes is trying to rewrite the unwritten rules of cricket - don't declare a first innings and don't win the toss and insert your opponents.
Disagree about the toss. Putting them in with the conditions as they were that morning was a no-brainer. We are also a team thats usually pretty good on a chase.
Unfortunately we've had the perfect conditions for bowling and batting going ALL our way, plus Lyon going MIA, and still contrived to completely f*ck it up.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Good job no-one listened to that when England won the Ashes at Trent Bridge in 2015

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Are trends changing? Certainly for England over the last year in India etc, Australia last test, I think 300 is the new 250 and 350+ is the new 300+

With England’s batting, they can score 400 in a day, I know that is not the same on day 4 or 5 but this pitch doesn’t look like it’s going to deteriorate.
I admire your optimism, but the chances of England passing a 400+ run target to win this game are virtually nil.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I admire your optimism, but the chances of England passing a 400+ run target to win this game are virtually nil.
I dropped short of saying England could do it this game, I kind of meant that is what Australia would be thinking setting their target.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
At current run rate they will reach a 400 lead with about 96 overs left in the match. I suspect they’ll press on a but further or quicker, to leave us 440 to win, giving themselves 92 overs to bowl us out, and on recent experience we don’t last that long, especially on a final day track. As all the pundits are now saying, intelligent cricket is about being assertive at the right times, aggressive at the right times, but canny game managers for extended periods at the right times too. We are both arrogant and naive against the world champions, we have just one mode, and it’s heading for a crushing and embarrassing series of defeats. And no one in the camp seems to give a crap. They sent that Jeetan Patel out to face the cameras after day 3, and I have never heard such deluded arrogant regurgitated crap in all my life. It can’t be long before one of the established players breaks ranks and actively suggests we play with a ton more savvy than we have been.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here