Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 2nd Test, Lords, June 28 - July 02, 2023

Ashes- 2nd Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
PLUMB :lolol:

It’s fine because Marnus and Kawaja wont get out any time soon…. I fancy a 600 run second wicket stand

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Has Ollie always been below the 80mph mark? I’ve always thought of him as an early to mid eighties type bowler.

Watching our bowlers reminds me of something I said before the series even began, the Aussies have a much better balance of attack, even with the expensive Starc you’ve got 3/4 quicks who are all fairly different, and as proved in that England innings when a pitch doesn’t respond a certain way they can change things up

If this pace attack start bowling bouncers the Aussies will be laughing themselves to the run bank.
I think of him being in the 77-82mph bracket.
Not a problem in itself if the attack as a whole is balanced with a bit of variety and somebody else offering genuine pace.
Good call :rolleyes: .

63-1. Warner out lbw
Clearly Warner needed to be more positive. They could be 100-1 now :annoyed:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Good decision that. I wouldn't have given it.

But that's why I'm number crunching in my home office and not umpiring at Lords.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

But that's why I'm number crunching in my home office and not umpiring at Lords.
Me neither at first glance, probably because he’s going so far across his stumps so it looks like because of the angle it’s going down. Tongue is looking like a very handy bowler.

England won’t get another wicket anytime soon though ;)

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

I do think in general people (not modern professional umpires) are too reluctant to give LBWs.
The ball only has to clip the stumps to knock the bails off. You shouldn't have to bowl a ball that'd hit halfway up middle to get a decision.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm amazed how few balls thrown in from the outfield are close to stumps either end. It appears they are happy to chuck it in the general area.

Something I noticed with Sussex the few times I've been this year. No pressure being put on the batters.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm hoping for Australia to get to tea tomorrow and setting us a 500 run chase. Day ends with us 120 -0. 380 needed on Day 5 and we hook our way to victory with a barrage of sixes in the sunshine
Only way I can see myself enjoying my last day ticket.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
AH! I don't mean bin it entirely, I meant tone it down. It's clearly not working here, so needs binning for now and back to basics before we get back in control.
I agree, but England have a long history of collapses like this whether barely scoring and blocking every ball or whether going for it.

I love the fact this England side are always thinking how to win the game, how to be positive, but actually this morning winning the game and being positive but through a bit of patience and being happy to run the score up rather than target the rope.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This was the Aussie field earlier with all those bumpers, must say I rate the tactics from Cummins though, he played on the england players bone idle must score 6 an over at all times mentality. They’ve thoroughly shown that brains outsmarts brainless brawn.View attachment 162914

When you see that field it makes it all the more hilarious that our batmsan continued to hook it in the air :lolol:
Pretty sure they were not going to bowl a length just outside off stump ! Look at the size of the gap ! Point, Cover and Extra Cover !

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'm hoping for Australia to get to tea tomorrow and setting us a 500 run chase. Day ends with us 120 -0. 380 needed on Day 5 and we hook our way to victory with a barrage of sixes in the sunshine
Only way I can see myself enjoying my last day ticket.
Or a limp submission....defeat by 150 - 200 runs......even without Lyon........take your pick.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I do think in general people (not modern professional umpires) are too reluctant to give LBWs.
The ball only has to clip the stumps to knock the bails off. You shouldn't have to bowl a ball that'd hit halfway up middle to get a decision.
Don't get me started about replicating a moving cricket ball.
Apparently its entirely predictable, irrespective of conditions. We are led to believe that it is by some way highly accurate. Ok....I doff my cap to them for their genius in replicating the one ball in sport that is most unpredictable in movement. Its a guideline, that is all. If you have ever bowled six balls at a set of stumps, you will be certain that 2-3, when they leave your hand, are hitting. Invariably, they don't. The late movement of a cricket ball is entirely unpredictable.
Without the benefit of ball tracking as a guide, many umpires are reluctant to give too many lbw's, particularly where height is concerned. If there is a scintilla of doubt, the batsman gets the benefit. At Test level, a lot of decisions are reversed, based on this, apparently, failsafe system, even though the umpire's gut feeling is different.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Bairstow up to the stumps for Jimmy, not sure that’s entirely a good sign for a medium quick bowler…

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That LBW looked plumb in front for me

Ball looks like it’s hooping in when it’s bowled full

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here