Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Terminate Ankergrens Contract

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Don't get this rubbish a good reserve keeper wouldn't want to sit on the bench the majority of the time,
wouldn't he want to try and push for the number one jersey.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Don't get this rubbish a good reserve keeper wouldn't want to sit on the bench the majority of the time,
wouldn't he want to try and push for the number one jersey.

He must know, in his heart of hearts, that he is not good enough. I'm sure he genuinely tries his best and gives it his all, and is a darn sight better than me, BUT I think it is safe to say he is a decent League 1 goalkeeper, but a below par Championship one.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
PIG - Plays great 99% of games with saves that are un real

Casper - Plays shit 99% of games costing us point, letting the most simple oof balls go in

Casper is shit end of.

You utter Google, what a stupid post.

Graeme Smith was shit. Wayne Henderson was shit. Ankergren kept goal as we won League 1 and the first half of a season we finished 10th in the Championship. Your opinion is utter rubbish and is completely knee-jerk.

So much typical rubbish on here. No Barnes, oh my, we need someone to hate and blame everything on! Cheers Casper, he's made a lot of people veey happy with his howler today.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
You utter Google, what a stupid post.

Graeme Smith was shit. Wayne Henderson was shit. Ankergren kept goal as we won League 1 and the first half of a season we finished 10th in the Championship. Your opinion is utter rubbish and is completely knee-jerk.

So much typical rubbish on here. No Barnes, oh my, we need someone to hate and blame everything on! Cheers Casper, he's made a lot of people veey happy with his howler today.

Sorry fella you have proved with threads about dropping PIG that you know nothing and you have no credibilty about goalkeeping! Casper made some routine saves today but the second goal was a lack of concentration, this is unforgivable for a professional. If PIG doesn't get fit soon, no play offs!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sorry fella you have proved with threads about dropping PIG that you know nothing and you have no credibilty about goalkeeping! Casper made some routine saves today but the second goal was a lack of concentration, this is unforgivable for a professional. If PIG doesn't get fit soon, no play offs!

I said nothing about dropping PIG. Go back, re-read it and then come back and apologise.

Casper made a lot of saves. Look at the stats yesterday, the draw is the right result. It's a shame it was a daisy cutter which beat him and it shouldn't have, but it happened. Much like Kuszczak's mistake at Birmingham cost us 2 points, his contract wasn't under question. One mistake in a 90 minute game and you want him released? Seriously daft.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I said nothing about dropping PIG. Go back, re-read it and then come back and apologise.

Casper made a lot of saves. Look at the stats yesterday, the draw is the right result. It's a shame it was a daisy cutter which beat him and it shouldn't have, but it happened. Much like Kuszczak's mistake at Birmingham cost us 2 points, his contract wasn't under question. One mistake in a 90 minute game and you want him released? Seriously daft.

The context is important. While not usually as spectacular as yesterday's, Ankergren's calamities against teams where Albion are under the cosh are about one a game whereas Kuszczak's rare clanger is buffered by consistently high quality performances.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The context is important. While not usually as spectacular as yesterday's, Ankergren's calamities against teams where Albion are under the cosh are about one a game whereas Kuszczak's rare clanger is buffered by consistently high quality performances.

Context is very important when wanting to defend one person and criticise the other to the hilt.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Poor Casper. In the first half yesterday he pulled off some very good saves and kept us in the game. He also actually caught the ball for change instead of punching it. Then it comes to the 90th minute and that absolute howler! Unfortunately when keepers make errors it costs goals and in our case 2 points.

Problem is for me Casper makes far too many howlers when it matters and costs us games. I remember that punch that sent the ball to a Rochdale player that lead to an equaliser in league one, same again against Arsenal in the cup this season and then that error yesterday.

The thing is I think he is a good keeper, but I sudder when i see his name on the team sheet due to the massive cock ups he makes!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Really, so how did he keep 14 clean sheets last season?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
In all fairness, he did play well except that 1 mistake having seen the highlights - but what are people likely to remember more, a good display or 1 blunder ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Really, so how did he keep 14 clean sheets last season?

Because, despite what is sometimes said, not all goalkeeping mistakes are punished by goals.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
So they are not 'calamities' then? So at least 14 games without 'calamities'.

If you commit a goalkeeping calamity but are rescued by a player on the line or a weak response from an opposition player, it's still a goalkeeping calamity. That said, Ankergren is easily one of the best two keepers Gus has signed. He is becoming increasingly prone to error, though.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If you commit a goalkeeping calamity but are rescued by a player on the line or a weak response from an opposition player, it's still a goalkeeping calamity. That said, Ankergren is easily one of the best two keepers Gus has signed. He is becoming increasingly prone to error, though.

Playing one game every few months might be the cause of that. This is the big error in removing Reserve team football in my opinion, it means your back ups aren't getting games. He trains all week etc, but you can't replicate the atmosphere and the intensity of a league match. Reserve team football might not improve anything, but atleast it would give him a regular game. As it is, Ankergren hadn't played since January.

That said, and all I have said on this subject, it doesn't excuse the shocking error. Not at all, it is a basic flaw of goalkeeping technique. But he's being strung up and slaughtered and it's massively out of proportion.

If we don't make the play offs, Ankergren will be no more to blame than:

Kuszczak, who cost us 2 points v birmingham
Ulloa, whose penalty being saved cost us points v Barnsley
CMS missed a lot of chances, including one early in the second half v palace that could have led to us getting something from the game, v millwall at home gifting them a goal, and missed penalty
Barnes sent off twice, as well as his missed penalties and other missed chances
El Abd conceding penalties, losing his man
Orlandi missed chances to extend leads v Bolton and leeds, costing us points

If we don't get into the play offs, it will be all the points dropped over the whole season, not just today's.

This, this and this!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here