[Travel] Sunglasses

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oakley usually. Current pair were only about £60 though, in a recent half price online sale.

My vision is really poor in low light, but my eyes are also sensitive. So I wear sunglasses a lot of the time, but they’ve got to be a decent lense that actually does the job of filtering the glare / UV out, rather than cheap ones that just make everything dark!

el punal

I paid £122 for a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarer style Mr Burbank sunglasses at Gatwick last week on the way to my holiday destination. I felt mildly MUGGED OFF, but compared with the prices at Sunglasses Hut in town, these to my slightly troubled mind seemed half decent value, being as the duty free discount had them down from £145. And I have to say, they are the absolute cuffing business. The lenses are fantastic, and everyone says I look like Rock Hudson.

My beloved original Ray-Bans from 2019 were THIEVED from the dash of a hire car when I returned it, without realising I'd left them there (f*ck YOU Enterprise, and the light-fingered FILTH you employ), but I am at last happy with my new investment.

So. What are you happy to pay for sunglasses ? And what brand ?
If you look like Rock Hudson then I must be Doris Day. :wink:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I own around 20 pairs of sunnies. I have a bunch of Raybans for “everyday use” plus others by Prada, Gucci, D&G which are more for evening wear on holiday and Oakley for snowboarding.

So basically a standard setup for a working class man.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Personally disagree with your theory, how many £10 sunglasses have you got through? Ten? Twenty? If you spent say £100 not only would have better vision and protection you would also look after them more.
I still wear Lacoste shirts today that I’ve had ten years I would rather pay for quality than getting through twenty £10 jobs in the same period.
It’s like buying cheap tools false economy.
I’ve got a pair of DeWalt safety sunglasses on my van dashboard :smile:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I paid £122 for a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarer style Mr Burbank sunglasses at Gatwick last week on the way to my holiday destination. I felt mildly MUGGED OFF, but compared with the prices at Sunglasses Hut in town, these to my slightly troubled mind seemed half decent value, being as the duty free discount had them down from £145. And I have to say, they are the absolute cuffing business. The lenses are fantastic, and everyone says I look like Rock Hudson.

My beloved original Ray-Bans from 2019 were THIEVED from the dash of a hire car when I returned it, without realising I'd left them there (f*ck YOU Enterprise, and the light-fingered FILTH you employ), but I am at last happy with my new investment.

By ‘everyone’ do you mainly mean the salesman ? That’s gonna affect my views on the rest of your post.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Polarised Ray-Bans and some retro Oakleys

RB1.jpg
oa1.jpg

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Recently said au revoir to my 15 year old Oakleys primarily bought for skiing and replaced them with a pair of ray bans.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia

122 quid isn't a lot of money if you have them for 10 years, and the more expensive sunnies are generally hardier than the cheaper ones so no reason why you won't have them for a long time unless they go missing.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The ULTIMATE "why would you spend that much on those" purchase for me.

I sit on sunglasses.
I drop sunglasses
I forget they are on my head
The kids lob them.

£10 pair for me thanks. Why spend money on something which will upset me when they inevitably get destroyed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The ULTIMATE "why would you spend that much on those" purchase for me.

I sit on sunglasses.
I drop sunglasses
I forget they are on my head
The kids lob them.

£10 pair for me thanks. Why spend money on something which will upset me when they inevitably get destroyed.
Have they got any UV protection? Are your eyes worth more than £10? How often do you get your eyes tested?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
only sunglasses I ever buy are prescription ones, and hopefully when there’s an offer of some sort on.
That's my practice.
Mine are prescription from Specsavers, where it’s two for one.
Exactly that!

I sit there driving with my basic prescription 2 for 1 glasses, whilst my passengers sit with their reflective mirror-like designer wrap-around black sunglasses 'because they're no good for driving' apparently.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports