Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Sunglasses

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I paid £122 for a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarer style Mr Burbank sunglasses at Gatwick last week on the way to my holiday destination. I felt mildly MUGGED OFF, but compared with the prices at Sunglasses Hut in town, these to my slightly troubled mind seemed half decent value, being as the duty free discount had them down from £145. And I have to say, they are the absolute cuffing business. The lenses are fantastic, and everyone says I look like Rock Hudson.

My beloved original Ray-Bans from 2019 were THIEVED from the dash of a hire car when I returned it, without realising I'd left them there (f*ck YOU Enterprise, and the light-fingered FILTH you employ), but I am at last happy with my new investment.

So. What are you happy to pay for sunglasses ? And what brand ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anything above £5 would seem a little extravagant.
My doris woud say exactly the same.

I managed to sit on her cheap-shit sunglasses while we were away (they were under her towel on the sunbed - what did she expect ?). Anyway, she inherited my pair of £25 Wayfarer-style jobbies - wooden arms, actually quite nice - and she was pleasantly surprised at the increase in visual quality, compared with the Poundland pair my arse had just disassembled.

But its amazing the difference you notice between the cheapos and the proper stuff. Its like UHD though - women just aren't overly bothered are they.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I paid £122 for a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarer style Mr Burbank sunglasses at Gatwick last week on the way to my holiday destination. I felt mildly MUGGED OFF, but compared with the prices at Sunglasses Hut in town, these to my slightly troubled mind seemed half decent value, being as the duty free discount had them down from £145. And I have to say, they are the absolute cuffing business. The lenses are fantastic, and everyone says I look like Rock Hudson.

My beloved original Ray-Bans from 2019 were THIEVED from the dash of a hire car when I returned it, without realising I'd left them there (f*ck YOU Enterprise, and the light-fingered FILTH you employ), but I am at last happy with my new investment.

Pair of slim fit jeans next ?

Go on do it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Attachments

• 20230904_203004.jpg
    20230904_203004.jpg
    760.3 KB · Views: 151

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've already done THIS
How much more midlife crisis do your want ?

A tattoo is really lazy and of course a lot of older people have them.

Earring borderline, especially if like me have four piercings but haven't worn them since your twenties.

But a leather bracelet. That's a proper crisis.

It articulates the confusion you feel in modern society. Is it a nod to a privately educated Glastonbury goer or are you channelling your childhood Look-In posters of Morten Harket ?

Well done sir.

Have you considered ?

1694649162641.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My doris woud say exactly the same.

I managed to sit on her cheap-shit sunglasses while we were away (they were under her towel on the sunbed - what did she expect ?). Anyway, she inherited my pair of £25 Wayfarer-style jobbies - wooden arms, actually quite nice - and she was pleasantly surprised at the increase in visual quality, compared with the Poundland pair my arse had just disassembled.

But its amazing the difference you notice between the cheapos and the proper stuff. Its like UHD though - women just aren't overly bothered are they.
Mrs T hasn't even upgraded to polarized lenses. Looking through her sunglasses takes me straight back to 1965, and a pair I had from Woolies that cost 1 and 6.

For the record I have 2 pairs of prescription sunnies, one for driving and the other, bifocals, for reading a good Harold Robbins while sipping my Cinzano bianco.

1694649324611.png

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I replaced my 21 years old Rayban Aviators 3 months ago with a pair of .......Rayban Aviators. €120 in the sunglasses shop in town, which is €25 cheaper than Lisbon duty free and €65 cheaper than Dubai duty free.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

A fool and his money are easily parted ...

Look like Rock Hudson? He died years ago, if someone said I looked like a dead person I'd feel insulted.

My budget for sunglasses is anywhere between £5 & £10. I tend to leave them somewhere or lose them so my investments offer better value than your rip-off £122

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A tattoo is really lazy and of course a lot of older people have them.

Earring borderline, especially if like me have four piercings but haven't worn them since your twenties.

But a leather bracelet. That's a proper crisis.

It articulates the confusion you feel in modern society. Is it a nod to a privately educated Glastonbury goer or are you channelling your childhood Look-In posters of Morten Harket ?

Well done sir.

Have you considered ?

View attachment 166390
I want to look like Ricky Martin. Loose open black shirt, necklace just like that, Morton Harkett leather wristband.
Just check the YouTube "She Bangs" video. Thats my aim.

I'm 52, and I drive a Honda.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A fool and his money are easily parted ...

Look like Rock Hudson? He died years ago, if someone said I looked like a dead person I'd feel insulted.

My budget for sunglasses is anywhere between £5 & £10. I tend to leave them somewhere or lose them so my investments offer better value than your rip-off £122
Weeellll...you'll sure see the difference between a Poundland jobbie and a decent pair. But if you can't look after a pair then its best to stick with the rubbish. I lost a decent pair and was GUTTED, so there is merit in your "buy crap" mantra. But they did last me 4-5 years before I lost them, and its been several years since I've splashed out to properly replace them.

I don't think its foolish to invest in quality, but then everyone has different priorities.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I own around 20 pairs of sunnies. I have a bunch of Raybans for “everyday use” plus others by Prada, Gucci, D&G which are more for evening wear on holiday and Oakley for snowboarding.

Gucci and D&G are total black out leave me alone whilst the others have varying degrees of protection. The Prada ones are quite light.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've already done THIS
How much more midlife crisis do your want ?
Silly bracelet things, expensive wanky sun glasses and earnest tramp stamp discussion.

I'm not gonna lie. I'm in EXACTLY the same place.

Bracelet thing and first tattoo for me last year (the kids DoBs in Roman numerals on my left shoulder, and considering a seagull right now, just like you) and this year I'm buying my first pair of expensive sun glasses after.making do with £5 tat since forever.

I feel reassured.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I need glasses for driving so I have transition lenses, they're effectively my sunglasses as well.
I need a new pair, usually costing in the region of £200-ish.
In terms of mid life crisis, I'm not there just yet, although I do drive a convertible so that's got to score a few crisis points.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Marseille in October will most likely be a classic Ray-ban for day wear and a medium tint D&G for a few sundowner Rosés.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here