Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Sunglasses

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You may have got lucky, you may not :shrug:

Cheap sunglasses may advertise that they have UV protection, but they are not specific about UVA and UVB protection. Spend time researching types of sunglasses and what percentage of UV rays they protect your eyes from.
Just checked online for the pair I have and also the frame and they are all good.

I was wound up by TB comments as rather than putting something like your polite post, they put "are your eyes worth more than £10" which is obviously trying to be smart and suggesting I've made a choice of cost over health before politely suggesting it's all going to go wrong for me like it did for them.

Last edited:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
IMG_7851.jpeg
If you’re getting forgetful, losing or sitting on your sunglasses, can I suggest the Dick Knight safety string?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just checked online for the pair I have and also the frame and they are all good.

I was wound up by TB comments as rather than putting something like your polite post, they put "are your eyes worth more than £10" which is obviously trying to be smart and suggesting I've made a choice of cost over health before politely suggesting it's all going to go wrong for me like it did for them.
First time I have been called polite, it’s normally “you divisive bastard” or words to that effect, (Potter polls :lolol:)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
View attachment 166418If you’re getting forgetful, losing or sitting on your sunglasses, can I suggest the Dick Knight safety string?
How is Dick, we hear very little about this legend these days? I hope he is still in good health :bowdown:

On another note does Des Lynam still attend, he looked very frail the last time I saw him at the Amex about two years ago?

Last edited:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
How is Dick these days, we hear very little about this legend these days? I hope he is still in good health :bowdown:
My Mrs says that to every three to four months.

I bought a couple of pairs of Ray Bans back in 2019/20 – one with normal lenses and one with polarised lenses both with metal arms..

Last summer I wanted to get something a bit cheaper and suitable for wearing when cycling etc, opted for these from Sungod Renegades with polarised lenses:

renegades-le_mclarenplus_034.png

All Sungods have a lifetime guarantee including if you damage them. Very pleased with mine and they've become my favourite go to pair.

Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 12.59.26.png

Anyone used to paying £5/£10 for their sunglasses, have you ever tried a pair of polarised sunglasses? It's like going from 720p to 4K Ultra HD. Especially if around areas of water. Friend who enjoys fishing swears by them as it allows you to see under the water surface better by removing all the glare.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I never quite get why people get to mature ages and start spending a fortune on trying to look young and cool? It's a bit like papering over cracks?

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I have multiple pairs - a £4 Primark pair I got on an unexpectedly sunny day in Belfast when I'd gone for 2 days of predicted thunderstorms and clouds and which I stick in my pocket for the football and other things where they may get lost. I've got a £20-ish pair of Goodr sunglasses for sport, which are fantastic. An older pair of Goodr lives in the car for the times I'm driving and realise I forgot my sunglasses. For "good" I've got a pair of £189 Oliver Peoples that set a new benchmark for lens clarity for me over and above even my beloved Persols that Mrs Exile half-inched off me and lost. I don't imagine needing to buy any others for a long long time.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Tragic, anyone over 40 should not wear blue denim and definitely not skinny jeans

I've never been a fan of blue denim but slim fit jeans/trousers are my go-to style. Never skinny as I like some breathing space. Am I breaking the rules as a 40-something or is slim fit permissible? :unsure:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I've never been a fan of blue denim but slim fit jeans/trousers are my go-to style. Never skinny as I like some breathing space. Am I breaking the rules as a 40-something or is slim fit permissible? :unsure:
I wear the same occasionally although I’m normally in combats I have a going out pair of combats Tommy H ones which I really like and my work ones for every day.
Slim fit trousers if I have to look smart.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I wear the same occasionally although I’m normally in combats I have a going out pair of combats Tommy H ones which I really like and my work ones for every day.
Slim fit trousers if I have to look smart.

I reckon it's dependent on the girth of your legs. Mine could be hidden behind a thick-handled broom.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm super squinty in any kind of reasonable daylight, so I wear sunglasses most days, even in winter. My granddad was an optician back in the day so I always used to get it drilled into me about protecting my eyes (including getting blocked for watching TV in the dark :lol:). You only have one pair of eyes, right?

I have an Oakley pair for when I'm not at work. They are expensive, albeit I usually go hunting for sale prices if I ever need to replace them, but that's my incentive to look after them. I love them. I have a couple of pairs of Ray Ban Wayfarers that belonged to my late husband, which I wear on occasion just for a change of look, but they're not as comfortable as the Oakleys. I have a cheaper pair of (I think) Sungod ones which I use for work, because I have a habit of dropping them or leaving them in the office or the car and I'd be well annoyed if I or somebody else scratched the Oakleys.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Perfectly OK. Over the last years the go to shape jeans for over 40's swung from boot fit to straight or slim fit.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
My eyesight is so bad that any lenses I buy have to be sent off to a laboratory in Alaska for military grade filing, otherwise they’d be 4 inches thick.

This obviously costs a fortune, so I buy my frames from a man without teeth in Tarring park to balance the cost out.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Tragic, anyone over 40 should not wear blue denim and definitely not skinny jeans

I have a pair of them kicking around somewhere they came with some Pozi bits
I have 3 pairs of very dark blue jeans, Levi 501, Lyle & Scott and one very expensive Italian brand which I won’t mention as someone will say hooligan :smile: I’m definitely over 40.
I wouldn’t wear skinny jeans or the Jeremy Clarkson type.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I have a pair of them kicking around somewhere they came with some Pozi bits
I have worn Levis, straight and boot cut since I was 16 and am way over 40

My first pair was one pound 10 shillings - thirty bob. Had to sit in the bath to shrink them to fit as so much dye came out they couldn’t be washed with other clothes. Quality was about 10 times better than ones these days and they lasted until they went ice blue.

What trousers do you suggest I wear? :smile:

I have never worn and would never wear combats, I am not a soldier and think tragic would be wearing those at any age, unless you are a wannabee soldier :lolol:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I have worn Levis, straight and boot cut since I was 16 and am way over 40

My first pair was one pound 10 shillings - thirty bob. Had to sit in the bath to shrink them to fit as so much dye came out they couldn’t be washed with other clothes. Quality was about 10 times better than ones these days and they lasted until they went ice blue.

What trousers do you suggest I wear? :smile:

I have never worn and would never wear combats, I am not a soldier and think tragic would be wearing those at any age, unless you are a wannabee soldier :lolol:
A soldier? They are trousers with pockets on the legs handy for many things I believe they are called cargos today not combats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here