Stockdale

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Really. He cost us 2 points and many more during the season but you numptys carry on defending the defensible.

Think you mean "defending the indefensible" which is a bit of a worry if you really are a juror.

I honestly think the Stockdale haters are deranged. Listening to SCR on the way out of the ground there were more of them texting in their average opinions. He is a class keeper who has made a small number of errors which are more than outweighed by top saves and performances. If the team could capitalise on chances in front of goal, the margin created would make us less vulnerable to single slip ups.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I think Stockdale has improved considerably since the beginning of the season and some people will say that he cost us two points and others will say he got us one point. In my view three class saves against one mistake says he saved us a point. If we had won he would have been praised for the good saves keeping us in the game and the mistake would have been forgotten. All goalkeepers make mistakes and earlier in the season he was making those and not making saves. Now he is making the saves to keep us in the game. Bennett was as much to blame for the goal today as Stockdale was. Their forward should not have been in a position to get the cross/shot in in the first place.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Think you mean "defending the indefensible" which is a bit of a worry if you really are a juror.

I honestly think the Stockdale haters are deranged. Listening to SCR on the way out of the ground there were more of them texting in their average opinions. He is a class keeper who has made a small number of errors which are more than outweighed by top saves and performances. If the team could capitalise on chances in front of goal, the margin created would make us less vulnerable to single slip ups.

Most of those who texted in are only listening on the radio.

SCR doesn't help Stockdale either as I understand they laid the blame on Reading first goal on Tuesday on Stockdale when it was clear from the away end that it was Ince who was a fault

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
DSC00425.JPG

nice save at the end

Last edited:

I
Most of those who texted in are only listening on the radio.

SCR doesn't help Stockdale either as I understand they laid the blame on Reading first goal on Tuesday on Stockdale when it was clear from the away end that it was Ince who was a fault

I posted three non SCR match reports on here the other day on this incident from the Guardian the Argus and the Reading local rag and they all blamed Stockdale for the goal.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I

I posted three non SCR match reports on here the other day on this incident from the Guardian the Argus and the Reading local rag and they all blamed Stockdale for the goal.

I've just watched it again on player, and they are all wrong, then.

The pass to Ince was a perfectly calm one, no more than two yards from him. Ince misjudged the pace of the pass, and instead of putting his foot on it, which he easily could have, he felt that he was able to let it run past him then run with it. He was wrong - he turned to follow it and was not able catch up with it. From that point on, with possession lost, Dunk was too easily beaten, then Bennett turned his back, allowing Mackie a free shot. Where Stockdale does take his share of the blame, is in being caught flat footed for the shot, but certainly not for the initial loss of possession.

Feb 14, 2010
There were some strong words said by a few people after the Reading game about people who have observed that our current keeper was terrible before Christmas, picked up around Christmas but continues to give dreadful goals away. Suggest those who said those strong words watch the goal against Wolves this weekend. Beaten at the near post, on a cross come shot because he was out of position. Just poor keeping. It is fine sticking up for players to be supporters but if we want promotion next season then the standard of keeping really does have to improve (but then so does much of our side as the table doesn't lie I know).

I see football league show said he was embarrassed. Guess the BBC are part of the global anti Stockdale conspiracy ��

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
So Stockdale makes a string of brilliant saves before getting unlucky ONCE via a freak misshit cross and now finds himself on the foot of some criticism? Unbelievable.

Sorry, but he been making these mistakes all season. He only seems capable of one good 90 minutes before an error causes another goal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry, but he been making these mistakes all season. He only seems capable of one good 90 minutes before an error causes another goal.

I have been quite critical of him and he may have made a misjudgment for the goal but the other saves were that good that I can forgive him for that. We would have comfortably lost that game if the rest of his performance on the day hadn't been top drawer.

TK should have saved Bruno's shot too let's not forget and he has been championed by plenty as a better keeper, when he plainly is not...imo

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
For me Stockdale has a mistake in him almost every game, some times it costs us and yesterday it did. But he did play really well yesterday and made some fantastic saves, he kept us in the game. He's another Casper IMO, playing in a better side, he wouldn't get exposed so much so hopefully next season, in a better team, he'll be more consistent. All in all he's a decent keeper but if we are to push for a play off place next year, we need to look at getting another in.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I see football league show said he was embarrassed. Guess the BBC are part of the global anti Stockdale conspiracy ��

But they also said that Afobe "was thwarted by Tomasz Kuszczak, playing against his former club"

There were a few more (even worse) mistakes from keepers on the programme last night

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
For me Stockdale has a mistake in him almost every game, some times it costs us and yesterday it did. But he did play really well yesterday and made some fantastic saves, he kept us in the game. He's another Casper IMO, playing in a better side, he wouldn't get exposed so much so hopefully next season, in a better team, he'll be more consistent. All in all he's a decent keeper but if we are to push for a play off place next year, we need to look at getting another in.

on that judgement re compete for a play off place i guess we are looking to replace almost the whole team

Feb 14, 2010
on that judgement re compete for a play off place i guess we are looking to replace almost the whole team

A few of the current players are probably good enough, but as for the sentiment then lets hope so as knocking around the lower leagues shouldn't be the height of the Albion's ambition. 27000 there yesterday, meanwhile little old Bournemouth push for the top flight.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
But they also said that Afobe "was thwarted by Tomasz Kuszczak, playing against his former club"

There were a few more (even worse) mistakes from keepers on the programme last night

Agree with this. Stockdale was at fault for the goal. However, I see similar howlers from Championship keepers every week on the FLS; it's the difference between a Championship keep and a PL keeper - and even PL keepers **** up at times.

Stockdale was crap in the first half of the season, but he's since done enough to convince me that he's good enough for us at this level. He certainly has shown plenty of ability and scope for improvement.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A few of the current players are probably good enough, but as for the sentiment then lets hope so as knocking around the lower leagues shouldn't be the height of the Albion's ambition. 27000 there yesterday, meanwhile little old Bournemouth push for the top flight.

as an aside there wasn't 27000 there yesterday

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports