Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
That's all well and good, but he's here to score goals, something he doesn't achieve on a very regular occurrence. Today he had 3 chances, he placed a header into the keepers hands, dragged one wide and curled one hopelessly wide, not once did he threaten the keeper. He simply isn't good enough :shrug:

Plenty of games where top quality, expensive 'superstar' players do exactly the same in the top divisions of the World.

Too often he is isolated, pushed very wide by our play rather than the defence and should he get the ball, there is little or no support for him.

There also isn't anyone near him when in the middle helping to drag defenders out of the way to buy a bit of space to shoot. Other terams do it better than us, and we can't, which could explain why most of our recent forwards have struggled for goals and not just CMS.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think he's a decent championship goalkeeper, but if we want to progress we might need someone a bit more consistent.

If we had a goal scorer you wouldn't see very many Stockdale threads on here. A keeper is always under far more pressure when a team isn't scoring enough goals, and of course a decent defence helps as well

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
but he never seems to get anything played to his feet when he isn't already sprinting, making it harder to control.

I don't know what games you've been to, but I've seen him get the ball played to him when he is standing still, when he is slowly walking, when he is trotting and in various speeds of running. The only balls he manages to control seem to be the once in a while ones that you look at and think "how on earth could anyone control that?!" the 'simple' passes that you would expect any experienced pro footballer to control he struggles with.

No, none of our strikers get great service all the time, but he has had plenty of (too many) good balls in good positions that have been frittered away by his poor control.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Stockdale was brilliant today, bar that one mishap.

Extra credit for recovering from that to make a brilliant last minute save.

Leave off him.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
So Stockdale makes a string of brilliant saves before getting unlucky ONCE via a freak misshit cross and now finds himself on the foot of some criticism? Unbelievable.

Very much in agreement. Excepting his mishap, we would have lost had he not pulled of some pretty neat saves.

Had he not miss-read that cross/shot people would have been singing his praises.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Too often he is isolated, pushed very wide by our play rather than the defence and should he get the ball, there is little or no support for him.

There also isn't anyone near him when in the middle helping to drag defenders out of the way to buy a bit of space to shoot.

Too often there is a pitiful array of excuses rolled out for CMS. Gone on for far too long now. Sake!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Oh and after Bruno's audacious back heel I thought 'he'll be sent off later'.

Followed with not controlling the ball and running it out of play a few moments later. No good showboating when you can't do the basics.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't know what games you've been to, but I've seen him get the ball played to him when he is standing still, when he is slowly walking, when he is trotting and in various speeds of running. The only balls he manages to control seem to be the once in a while ones that you look at and think "how on earth could anyone control that?!" the 'simple' passes that you would expect any experienced pro footballer to control he struggles with.

No, none of our strikers get great service all the time, but he has had plenty of (too many) good balls in good positions that have been frittered away by his poor control.

Correct. CMS is not a championship striker and hopefully his contract will not be renewed - (sorry CMS supporters but that's how I feel).

Bad error by Stockdale, but once again rank bad defending by Bennett showing the winger down the line, when he had support inside.

Don Howe arguably the best defensive coach this country has had, always encouraged Arsenal to steer players to where there was support. Bennett seems incapable of ever doing this, and so many goals seem to have emanated from the left.

That aside Stockdale has to accept the blame, but the save at the end was world class.

That's all well and good, but he's here to score goals, something he doesn't achieve on a very regular occurrence. Today he had 3 chances, he placed a header into the keepers hands, dragged one wide and curled one hopelessly wide, not once did he threaten the keeper. He simply isn't good enough :shrug:
I think the reason though why Hughton keeps favouring CMS over O'Grady is that he moves defenders around far better and adds much more zip to our play up front. CMS alas never has been a clinical striker but he gets into goal scoring positions far better.
Obviously I agree Ulloa's goal threat has never been replaced, Baldock was a mistake and the board need to spend probably bigger and wiser in the summer

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Plenty of games where top quality, expensive 'superstar' players do exactly the same in the top divisions of the World.

There also isn't anyone near him when in the middle helping to drag defenders out of the way to buy a bit of space to shoot. Other terams do it better than us, and we can't, which could explain why most of our recent forwards have struggled for goals and not just CMS.
Ulloa did alright :shrug:

It's just constant excuses with CMS. I respect your thoughts, we're all entitled to an opinion.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Followed with not controlling the ball and running it out of play a few moments later. No good showboating when you can't do the basics.

Come off it Piltdown, if I'm thinking of the same incident it was the very poor pass he received from Holla or Calderon. Bruno for me was comfortably MoM, he gave a defensive lesson to all his colleagues.

I was thinking even you would have acknowledged it today.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think the reason though why Hughton keeps favouring CMS over O'Grady is that he moves defenders around far better and adds much more zip to our play up front. CMS alas never has been a clinical striker but he gets into goal scoring positions far better.

Surely that is an optimists way of saying 'he runs around a lot but can't shoot'?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No good Bruno showboating when you can't do the basics.

He was almost certainly Man of the Match, provided us with the width we were missing from Tuesday, scored a goal, and defended well. Sure he made the odd mistake and obviously La Liga , and i suppose us, are a lot more forgiving about his inability to do the basics given he racked up 130 appearances over there and 80 appearances over here and we're so blind to his actual ability that we've just given him a new contract until end 2015/16. He claps all the fans as well. Top bloke.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Come off it Piltdown, if I'm thinking of the same incident it was the very poor pass he received from Holla or Calderon. Bruno for me was comfortably MoM, he gave a defensive lesson to all his colleagues.

I was thinking even you would have acknowledged it today.

I acknowledge he was the best of a very poor defence today. Greer and Dunk could have been sent packing. But in all honesty it's about bloody time, he has been a liability and should still have his one years extension torn up.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He was almost certainly Man of the Match, provided us with the width we were missing from Tuesday, scored a goal, and defended well. Sure he made the odd mistake and obviously La Liga , and i suppose us, are a lot more forgiving about his inability to do the basics given he racked up 130 appearances over there and 80 appearances over here and we're so blind to his actual ability that we've just given him a new contract until end 2015/16. He claps all the fans as well. Top bloke.

He doesn't clap me!!

And it's mutual

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I acknowledge he was the best of a very poor defence today. Greer and Duck could have been sent packing. But in all honesty it's about bloody time, he has been a liability and should still have his one years extension torn up.

As you know we are completely different ends of the spectrum on this one....... (would give a smiley face, but for some reason I no longer have that as an option).

I think Calderon is far more effective in midfield and him and Bruno work well together.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Apart from the mistake Stockdale was excellent today. CMS was dreadful - it's not just that he can't control or score, he gives the ball away now so is positively dangerous to us.. Bruno was MoM. Dunk needs to do some very hard work over the summer - he's been sussed (run at him and he'll back off)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here