Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
People can form their own opinions now

I think I know my opinion is going to be dismissed, but looking at that angle I would agree with the commentators. It's the sort of "foul" that will generally be met with moans about keepers getting too much protection.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Blackburn's three minutes of youtube highlights only show the incident once, too. But shows a couple more of Stockdale's saves.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think I know my opinion is going to be dismissed, but looking at that angle I would agree with the commentators. It's the sort of "foul" that will generally be met with moans about keepers getting too much protection.

It's a blatant foul. Incredible that anyone is arguing otherwise, when even Rhodes himself and the other Blackburn players were happy enough with the decision. As a keeper, when you catch the ball with your arms up, if someone hits you shoulder to shoulder, it's down to you to be strong - if they hit your arms, it's practically impossible to hold on.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

It might have been a goal when they still played in black and white, but that was a clear foul with the attacker having no chance of getting his head on the ball.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It might have been a goal when they still played in black and white, but that was a clear foul with the attacker having no chance of getting his head on the ball.

I've just watched the extended highlights two or three times. Rhodes has an arm up in the air, and the minute he goes into Stockdale, three Brighton players appeal for the foul. The whistle is immediately blown even before the Brighton players put their arms up, so the ref wasn't swayed by them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nice to see from the BRFC Forum, that it's not only our fans who like to scapegoat the keeper, in ridiculous ignorant fashion;

We have been shocking, how Steele didn't save that I'll never know, this really is as bad as anything I've seen under GB.
Edited by Proudtobeblue&white, Yesterday, 03:29 PM.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I seriously cant believe some fans are having to stick up for Stockdale. He is class.

Much better keeper than koosh overall which is some peoples gripes. But people not giving him
Credit for yesterday obviously werent there.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Having watched it, it's clear that you'd already made your mind up. Rhodes clearly impedes Stockdale. It might have been a goal in the 1950s but will never be a goal these days. I've seen much softer free kicks given for fouls on the keeper.

What confuses me is why a fan would be so keen to criticise Stockdale when he won us three points yesterday with a couple of brilliant saves. Especially when they weren't actually at the game! It seems odd but I'm sure it's logical in your mind.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Having watched it, it's clear that you'd already made your mind up. Rhodes clearly impedes Stockdale. It might have been a goal in the 1950s but will never be a goal these days. I've seen much softer free kicks given for fouls on the keeper.

It's possible I was looking at it as a challenge I didn't want to see as a foul, but it's equally possible others are looking at an incident they want to see as a foul.

I don't think it's a great angle, but as far as I see it, Rhodes arms aren't being used in an unfair or dangerous manner, his arms up and in front of him and he tries to get ahead of stockdale and was a fair challenge.

I am absolutely certain there have been goals given in the same circumstance this season. Frustratingly I can't think of a specific example to point to, but I am confident such goals exists.

What confuses me is why a fan would be so keen to criticise Stockdale when he won us three points yesterday with a couple of brilliant saves. Especially when they weren't actually at the game! It seems odd but I'm sure it's logical in your mind.

What confuses me is how many times I have to make it clear I am not criticising Stockdale.

Our last away win was v Charlton. In that game Gordon Greer cleared off the line. If I praise him for that, and the contribution he made to the clean sheet, does it mean I'm criticising Stockdale? No, of course not, because there's the other 89mins of the game that require Stockdale to prevent a goal.

If Greer didn't clear it, Charlton equalise, no clean sheet. Is pointing that out a criticism of Stockdale? No, of course not.

So why is highlighting that had an incident that Gary Bowyer didn't see anything wrong with, Warren Aspinall didn't see anything wrong with, I didn't see anything wrong with, not been given as a foul there would have been no clean sheet mean I am criticising Stockdale? Do people believe that any time a keeper doesn't keep a clean sheet he is a failure? Because I don't. Him not keeping a clean sheet isn't something that is inherently worthy of criticism.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It's possible I was looking at it as a challenge I didn't want to see as a foul, but it's equally possible others are looking at an incident they want to see as a foul.

I don't think it's a great angle, but as far as I see it, Rhodes arms aren't being used in an unfair or dangerous manner, his arms up and in front of him and he tries to get ahead of stockdale and was a fair challenge.

I am absolutely certain there have been goals given in the same circumstance this season. Frustratingly I can't think of a specific example to point to, but I am confident such goals exists.

What confuses me is how many times I have to make it clear I am not criticising Stockdale.

Our last away win was v Charlton. In that game Gordon Greer cleared off the line. If I praise him for that, and the contribution he made to the clean sheet, does it mean I'm criticising Stockdale? No, of course not, because there's the other 89mins of the game that require Stockdale to prevent a goal.

If Greer didn't clear it, Charlton equalise, no clean sheet. Is pointing that out a criticism of Stockdale? No, of course not.

So why is highlighting that had an incident that Gary Bowyer didn't see anything wrong with[/url], Warren Aspinall didn't see anything wrong with, I didn't see anything wrong with, not been given as a foul there would have been no clean sheet mean I am criticising Stockdale? Do people believe that any time a keeper doesn't keep a clean sheet he is a failure? Because I don't. Him not keeping a clean sheet isn't something that is inherently worthy of criticism.

Except the highlights show it is a foul. As I said earlier, in the 1950s when you could jump at the keeper all you want, it wouldn't have been a free kick. However, you very rarely see a goal given for that now. I doubt you'd find many recent examples. Rhodes didn't touch the ball and he definitely impeded Stockdale from catching the ball unfairly. It is a foul.

You can quote Blackburn's manager all you want but surely the fact Rhodes made no protest is a clear sign if ever there was one that it should be disallowed. If he even considered it wasn't a foul, you can guarantee he would have protested. He didn't. He knew that he fouled Stockdale.

If you're not criticising Stockdale, you certainly have been arguing with a number of people praising Stockdale. Your initial post did say it would have been an error, which is criticism and this was before you'd even seen the incident. It does suggest an agenda but if you say you're not criticising, you can pretty much get away with saying anything.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If you're not criticising Stockdale, you certainly have been arguing with a number of people praising Stockdale.

My point of argument isn't with their praise, it's with their accusing me of criticising him, it's with their attitude of grouping together any comment that isn't 100% positive, with the comments of people who only ever see negative, and highlighting that when analysing a player ignoring the bad stuff is as blinkered as ignoring the good stuff.

Your initial post did say it would have been an error, which is criticism and this was before you'd even seen the incident. It does suggest an agenda but if you say you're not criticising, you can pretty much get away with saying anything.

I also mentioned three great saves in that post.

I meant the conversation would have been 3 great saves v 1 error like it was v Wolves (he had several great saves, and one significant error).

The only agenda I have is that I don't like the attitude on here that if you dare to point out that a player's performance wasn't exactly perfect you get grouped together in one lump as being a hater who loves it when we lose so you can criticise.

I find life is far more complex and a good performance can include a mistake or two, and a bad performance can include a good moment or two.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The other thing worth highlighting about Stockdale yesterday is that our goal followed a massive goal kick from him into the Blackburn half which allowed the pass to O Grady down the wing.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The other thing worth highlighting about Stockdale yesterday is that our goal followed a massive goal kick from him into the Blackburn half which allowed the pass to O Grady down the wing.

And his save from Rhodes was getting on for world class.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I meant the conversation would have been 3 great saves v 1 error like it was v Wolves (he had several great saves, and one significant error).

But if that goal HAD been allowed to stand, there still would have been no error on Stockdale's part - it would have just been a crap bit of refereeing. The way Rhodes hit his outstretched arms made it close to impossible to catch the ball.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
We were right behind the goal and so had an excellent view of the Jordan Rhodes bundle into Stockdale. It was a clear foul, the ref gave it, and most tellingly, Rhodes didn't dispute it at all.
The Stockdale save down the other end couldn't be seen as well. However, the reaction of the fans was that the vast majority thought it was a goal until Stockdale got his hand to it and managed to keep it out.
It was a very good performance by Stockdale. He's made some mistakes this season and will do so again...like most keepers really. However, my opinion is that he has improved overall since the season has progressed.

Stockdale is a good keeper and is now making great saves to keep us in games.We are also getting the luck that we didn't get at the beginning of the season. The save he made that he pushed onto the post then came off the post and hit him in the head/shoulder would earlier in the season gone in. This time it stayed out. Looking at it on highlights it was probably one of his best saves. His distribution is better than TK too, so quite happy with him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here