Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Stockdale made a mistake but he was not the problem.

The problem(s):

Holla - Woeful! What has happened to him!?
Stephens - Played utterly out of position.
CMS - Useless, as per.
Zero pace - No desire to get up the pitch when the counter was on.

Today cannot be blamed on Stockdale. The whole setup was ****ing awful.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Really. He cost us 2 points and many more during the season but you numptys carry on defending the defensible.

Absolute bollocks, the only person that cost us points today was the idiot ref that let the Wolves player get away with handball for the umpteenth time before starting the move that led to their goal. Stockdale had set himself to deal with a proper cross not a miss hit fluke that he did well to get anything on at all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He was almost certainly Man of the Match, provided us with the width we were missing from Tuesday, scored a goal, and defended well. Sure he made the odd mistake and obviously La Liga , and i suppose us, are a lot more forgiving about his inability to do the basics given he racked up 130 appearances over there and 80 appearances over here and we're so blind to his actual ability that we've just given him a new contract until end 2015/16. He claps all the fans as well. Top bloke.

Definitely my MOM today with Stockdale not too far behind

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Absolute bollocks, the only person that cost us points today was the idiot ref that let the Wolves player get away with handball for the umpteenth time before starting the move that led to their goal. Stockdale had set himself to deal with a proper cross not a miss hit fluke that he did well to get anything on at all.
This. The IDIOTS criticising Stockdale clearly have not got a clue about how goalkeepers rely on anticipation in order to be able to get to crosses and shots. The Wolves player intended to cross and Stockdale correctly read the available postural cues. He was unluckily beaten by a fluke slice which was completely undeserved given his otherwise brilliant display.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Apart from the one mistake where he was in the wrong starting position he was outstanding, even then it looked like a mis hit cross. He made several great saves including the one In the last minute.

This in buckets and spades....just having a spat with andy naylor on twatter about this.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
This. The IDIOTS criticising Stockdale clearly have not got a clue about how goalkeepers rely on anticipation in order to be able to get to crosses and shots. The Wolves player intended to cross and Stockdale correctly read the available postural cues. He was unluckily beaten by a fluke slice which was completely undeserved given his otherwise brilliant display.
He was not unlucky , just another mistake to add to his catalogue of errors this season , I can't remember a brighton keeper making so many mistakes , he really is a poor keeper .

Not true then or do you only look at his errors to suit your agenda?

Sorry you'll have to clarify what's not true. That he didn't make a match changing mistake for the first Reading goal on Tuesday or that he didn't make a match turning mistake today.

I can get fans arguing that he deserves more time in the team to prove he can eradicate these frequent basic errors. But makes me doubt the rationality of his supporters on here is to be told that he is having good games. WTF?

So your argument is Chris Hughton is an idiot for saying it was a mistake?

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Apart from the one mistake where he was in the wrong starting position he was outstanding, even then it looked like a mis hit cross. He made several great saves including the one In the last minute.

This.

Cannot believe the abuse he's getting. Has won us loads of points this season.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
We should have been 2 down at half time.
Wolves should have won the game in injury time.

Be honest, hands up who thought, after Tommy K's error, 'Stockdale will gift Wolves one, as well'. :wave:
Still a MoM performance.

Oh and after Bruno's audacious back heel I thought 'he'll be sent off later'.

When we scored I just said to my son we just need to hold it for 10-mins ... however 3-mins later

Also think we had just as many chances as Wolves today so a draw was a fair reflection

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
So your argument is Chris Hughton is an idiot for saying it was a mistake?
I was very surprised to hear Hughton say that post match. I'd be even more surprised if he repeats it.

I think Hughton was wrong to say it was a mistake. Stockdale's initial positioning was 100% correct. Crucially important in that situation that he is readying to deal with the cross rather than stuck on his line.

If the Wolves player had intended to shoot then Stockdale would still have been able to see that, anticipate the ball flight, move earlier and quicker, and save the shot to the near post.

What happened was that he got beaten by a fluke.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
"It was a cross from the lad, as opposed to a shot, so that was disappointing - but they also had other chances and David Stockdale has made three really good saves.

"He will be disappointed with the goal, but he can be delighted with the saves that he has made, particularly the one in the first half and the one in stoppage time.

"That is the lot of a goalkeeper. There are ups and downs and you have to make sure is that you bounce back from any down periods in a game, and he made a really good save after we had conceded the goal."

Hughton talking sense.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Plenty of games where top quality, expensive 'superstar' players do exactly the same in the top divisions of the World.

Too often he is isolated, pushed very wide by our play rather than the defence and should he get the ball, there is little or no support for him.

There also isn't anyone near him when in the middle helping to drag defenders out of the way to buy a bit of space to shoot. Other terams do it better than us, and we can't, which could explain why most of our recent forwards have struggled for goals and not just CMS.

GF,

Get real and smell the proverbial coffee!

CMS is shite at this level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here