• Duel

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry US i didnt mean any offence. What i am saying is a) what is the problem with hook and b) on many movie threads you seem to suggest that a film is good if it has massive box office takings. We all know thats not always the case!

Come on Uncle. What IS your issue with Hook?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Come on Uncle. What IS your issue with Hook?

I like Hook but his best film ? I think this is the only poll in the World that would have Hook as his best film. Still, if thats the verdict I am quite happy to announce it the winner and will do in my project. NSC votes Hook the best Spielberg film.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I like Hook but his best film ? I think this is the only poll in the World that would have Hook as his best film. Still, if thats the verdict I am quite happy to announce it the winner and will do in my project. NSC votes Hook the best Spielberg film.

Another two-penneth then...

Like it or not some people have said some reasonably insightful things about many of Spielberg's films in this thread. By and large, as a relatively simple chap, a lot of them went right over my head when I saw the films in question but now others have mentioned some of these themes, I can see where they're coming from. I did, however, pick up on the parent/child relationship aspects in Hook and I think those will probably resonate with many parents who have busy, busy, busy lives in the modern world.

You, US, on the other hand don't seem to have passed much commentary of note on any of the films that I can see. I imagine you're right and Hook is an atypical winner in this sort of thing, so it should be easy to both deconstruct the film and/or build the merits of some more renowned works. It's a relatively simple thing to do and should quickly knock back any naysayers. Throwing your proverbial toys out of the pram does you no favours, nor the films you are so fond of.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I have to say US - You should run the poll with Munich included. I dare say a few people didn't know he directed that!

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
If Hook Is So Good Then How Come Garth Doesn't Like It As Much As The Others? Everybody On Here Knows That Uncle Spielberg Knows More About Spielberg Films Than Anybody Else On This Site, And Probably More About Cinema In General. He Is Even Doing A f***ing Project On Spielberg For Goodness Sake.

I'm Sick And Tired Of All This Bullying. Fine, So Pot Noodles And Johnny Deacons Suit And Afters And Tony Molar's Lean Spell And Bozza All Like It. I Make That Six Votes, Not Forty One. So Whoever It Is Who Has Added 35 Votes To Hook Should Hang Their Head In Shame, The f***ing C*nt. If This Project (Which I'm Guessing A Good Many People On This Board Are Looking Forward To Reading) Doesn't Get Finished It Will Be ALL And I Mean ALL Your Fault You Bullying Bellend.

(Sorry To Embarrass You Like This, Garth, But It Needed To Be Said)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

His best, I don't know. But, it's my favourite hence I voted for it. It's a seriously underrated film in my opinion.

Stumpy Tim

If Hook Is So Good Then How Come Garth Doesn't Like It As Much As The Others? Everybody On Here Knows That Uncle Spielberg Knows More About Spielberg Films Than Anybody Else On This Site, And Probably More About Cinema In General. He Is Even Doing A f***ing Project On Spielberg For Goodness Sake.

I'm Sick And Tired Of All This Bullying. Fine, So Pot Noodles And Johnny Deacons Suit And Afters And Tony Molar's Lean Spell And Bozza All Like It. I Make That Six Votes, Not Forty One. So Whoever It Is Who Has Added 35 Votes To Hook Should Hang Their Head In Shame, The f***ing C*nt. If This Project (Which I'm Guessing A Good Many People On This Board Are Looking Forward To Reading) Doesn't Get Finished It Will Be ALL And I Mean ALL Your Fault You Bullying Bellend.

I voted for it too

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Another two-penneth then...

Like it or not some people have said some reasonably insightful things about many of Spielberg's films in this thread. By and large, as a relatively simple chap, a lot of them went right over my head when I saw the films in question but now others have mentioned some of these themes, I can see where they're coming from. I did, however, pick up on the parent/child relationship aspects in Hook and I think those will probably resonate with many parents who have busy, busy, busy lives in the modern world.

You, US, on the other hand don't seem to have passed much commentary of note on any of the films that I can see. I imagine you're right and Hook is an atypical winner in this sort of thing, so it should be easy to both deconstruct the film and/or build the merits of some more renowned works. It's a relatively simple thing to do and should quickly knock back any naysayers. Throwing your proverbial toys out of the pram does you no favours, nor the films you are so fond of.

ET was loosely following on the story of Christ. ET was a Christ like figure. The lit " manger " he was found in, the healing qualities, the floating on water, the coming back from the dead and the coming from another world and returning to it , at the end, Peter in the film callled " keys ", the gatekeeper of heaven. I am sure many of these things would have been unnoticed, certainly by " kids " but I do not regard it as a kids film per se. Hook is a great film, I saw it with my Mum and we both loved it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I know this is a wind up BM. I am not so deluded to think otherwise but I appreciate it all the same anyway !

Last edited:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I simply suspect what has happened is what always happens in these situations - 2 front-runners emerged so people have been voting tactically. Don't like Schindler's List - fine, vote for Hook. Think Hook is a load of rubbish, then vote for SL. A vote for anything else looked wasted long ago - so people are probably trying to ensure the film they don't like doesn't win, rather than voting for something they adore.

Just my two-penneth.

hmmmm...? I don't get that, it's not like you'll get a prize for voting for the winner rather than what you want to win....seems more like people winding up US to me but whatever floats your (not Bozza specifically) boat I guess.

Oh, and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
hmmmm...? I don't get that, it's not like you'll get a prize for voting for the winner rather than what you want to win....seems more like people winding up US to me but whatever floats your (not Bozza specifically) boat I guess.

Oh, and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

I know its a wind up mate, whats more insulting is that people think I can't see its a wind up and abuse me for it.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
I know its a wind up mate, whats more insulting is that people think I can't see its a wind up and abuse me for it.

So did you think I woke up this morning and thought - "I know what I'll do, I'll wind up a bloke I don't even know"? How do I do that? Open up nearly 40 different accounts in a day and repeatedly vote for Hook? Or did I get 40 other people to collude in voting for Hook? I don't know anywhere near 40 people on NSC for a start and who's to say they would have bothered to do that.

It's me who's annoyed, my pedigree chum. I've given very good reasons why I like the film and you've not given one reason why you think it's so bad.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So did you think I woke up this morning and thought - "I know what I'll do, I'll wind up a bloke I don't even know"? How do I do that? Open up nearly 40 different accounts in a day and repeatedly vote for Hook? Or did I get 40 other people to collude in voting for Hook? I don't know anywhere near 40 people on NSC for a start and who's to say they would have bothered to do that.

It's me who's annoyed, my pedigree chum. I've given very good reasons why I like the film and you've not given one reason why you think it's so bad.

I don't doubt the validity of your vote Joey, fair play to you, but everyone can see what has gone on here. Anyway no hard feelings.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I love the film Joey, but its about 10th for me. Hook is very good, very underrated.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Oh Dear

I like my films and am quite happy to bore for England about my favourite film makers (from John Ford via Powell & Pressburger to Ridley Scott) so had hoped this would be a serious thread.

Instead of this being a discussion about Spielberg's Films it has become a quite nasty personal attack upon the original poster by pissing around with his Poll.

Some people clearly have another agenda which as I don't actually know any of you I cannot comment on except to say my wife was the Head of an Infants School and it is all very reminiscent of typical playground bullies behaviour.

I have no axe to grind but really some of you have way too much time on your hands and are rather sad and sour personalities if you think this sort of thing is amusing.... :nono:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here