Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephens...poor show tonight!

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
He hasn't hit the ground running but being amazing in your first few games for a new club isn't always the beginning of something special - We all remember Harley and his incredible free kick against Peterborough..............

Stephens did give the ball away a few times but having watched him twice now I have also seen him pick out some really nice and clever passes and can imagine him and Spanish Rodney linking up well in the near future...........time will tell....

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
He hasn't hit the ground running but being amazing in your first few games for a new club isn't always the beginning of something special - We all remember Harley and his incredible free kick against Peterborough..............

Stephens did give the ball away a few times but having watched him twice now I have also seen him pick out some really nice and clever passes and can imagine him and Spanish Rodney linking up well in the near future...........time will tell....

his cross field ball to calderon was a very good pass - so yes agreed there is some promise.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you want to see a poor performance (in my opinion, of course) you should look at Leeds #44 and star striker.

He was a moany waste of space tonight.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
If you want to see a poor performance (in my opinion, of course) you should look at Leeds #44 and star striker.

Isnt it funny, I thought he was leeds best player - not being antagonistic - genuinely thought he looked good and led the line well. My opinion of course and in no way a fact :eek:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
McCormack got no service whatsoever tonight. God knows how that lot put 5 past Huddersfield.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013

He also looked a bit porky I thought??? I was seriously worried about him before tonight but he wasn't at the races - trouble at mill me thinks?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He also looked a bit porky I thought??? I was seriously worried about him before tonight but he wasn't at the races - trouble at mill me thinks?

I wondered that. Has he always been- ahem- stocky?

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I wondered that. Has he always been- ahem- stocky?

No not to my knowledge......remember him from previous encounters ( I went to the away game ay the end of last season as well as the home games) and remember him as being small but lively. Still, we kept him quiet tonight.....thank god!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Stephens didn't quite look for the forward ball as much as the others but that's understandable as it was such an attacking side. But he let himself down in posession a bit but his positioning and defensive work was good. You can see he has potential once he gets more used to our play. At times (when Leeds weren't trying to break up and hoof the play) the close inter passing was fantastic, it must be hard to get used to that as an English 2nd tier pro. The spaniards seem to take to it well. Anyway I think Stephens will be a good player for us.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Agreed but that's is only because of injuries.

Apart from Crofts who else is injured?
He was bought in to replace Crofts for the season and think he will do well.
OK so it wasn't a stand out performance but it is early days and I thought he did ok. Bit of a mixed bag but certainly nothing too bad. I actually thought the balance of the midfield as a whole was really good.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think we will see a few more threads like this in the coming weeks. Very happy with some of his scrappy disruptive play. Stopping the opposition playing is a big plus point and not always appreciated. Smashing their left back into the hoardings got the crowd going.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Give him a chance to get used to the style of play. Orlandi was far worse tonight.

Whilst Stephens looked off the pace and slow to think, I agree with the above that Orlandi looked even slower, behind the thinking and his dead ball plays were appalling. I thought the back four and Ince shored up the midfield. Can I make the observation that when you play two up front try passing the ball through the channel. Last night as on Saturday I saw Rodrigeuz timing his run perfectly time after time and not once did the midfield play the ball that was begging, instead made a sideways or safe backwards pass. For a minute last night I thought Poyet had got back into the dressing room.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Oh here we go.... 1-0 win and still looking for someone to slag off.

I'm not sure how we managed to win with at least 3 of our players apparently having such poor games, I know the view from where I sit isn't the greatest but I thought we played well as a team last night and deserved the win.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I'm not sure how we managed to win with at least 3 of our players apparently having such poor games, I know the view from where I sit isn't the greatest but I thought we played well as a team last night and deserved the win.

You're right. If all of our players continually live up to what some people expect (no mistakes ever, 100% pass accuracy, get forward to attack constantly but never concede a goal, batter ALL opponents regardless of standard etc etc), we'll soon be European Champions.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I like Stephens a lot, quite a clever player in my eyes, covers good ground and works hard, a decent addition, who will get better every week

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here