Stephens...poor show tonight!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I really cant be bothered to argue the semantics of it - but I a sure if you asked dale did you have a great game to night he would say no - so maybe that would make it a fact or just his opinion. - But you still haven't answered my question - did you think Dale was great tonight?

No, I didn't. I thought he was alright. Had some nice touches at times, a couple of lovely passes that I can only assume you missed. Not up there with Ince or March yet, but I think it will come.

It just grates with me that you present your opinion as fact, when a personal view on a player's performance can only ever be a matter of opinion, based on your individual perspective of the game. It actually comes across as a touch arrogant to state it as an incontrovertible fact, as though nothing that anyone else saw matters.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I really cant be bothered to argue the semantics of it - but I am sure if you asked dale did you have a great game to night he would say no - so maybe that would make it a fact or just his opinion. - But you still haven't answered my question - did you think Dale was great tonight?

That's a loaded question though; if anyone says 'no' you'll take it as agreeing with you that he's not very good and if they say 'yes' then you'll either a) ignore their opinion or b) call them out with a repeat of the 'you can't have watched the same game as I etc etc...' retort. Subjectivity doesn't seem to be your strong point.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
No, I didn't. I thought he was alright. Had some nice touches at times, a couple of lovely passes that I can only assume you missed. Not up there with Ince or March yet, but I think it will come.

It just grates with me that you present your opinion as fact, when a personal view on a player's performance can only ever be a matter of opinion, based on your individual perspective of the game. It actually comes across as a touch arrogant to state it as an incontrovertible fact, as though nothing that anyone else saw matters.

Maybe that's the reason I said it?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We all feel good because we've won vs Leeds but the bottom line is Stephens plays in the centre of midfield and there was fvck all creativity until KLL came on. Workmanlike yes, great no. Jury's still out.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
That's a loaded question though; if anyone says 'no' you'll take it as agreeing with you that he's not very good and if they say 'yes' then you'll either a) ignore their opinion or b) call them out with a repeat of the 'you can't have watched the same game as I etc etc...' retort. Subjectivity doesn't seem to be your strong point.

I don't need to be subjective, I thought he had a poor game - some people seem to be saying he was great, which I think we all agree he wasn't. I hope he becomes an albion legend and power us to the premier league, but great tonight he wasn't.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He signed for us 12 days ago, do people really expect him to be completely in sync with his team mates when he has played thee games and played with different team mates in those games.

As for his performance, I didn't think it was notably bad. Some loose passing, but he wasn't alone in that.

Were we watching the same game? The pass from the short corner back to Greer in our own half was disgraceful?!

That was Ward's fault. As Orlandi was heading over to take it he stopped and had a word with Ward, Orlandi and Stephens were waiting on ward to make a run, but ward just stood where he was ignoring them. Orlandi and Stephens yelled at him after hitting the ball back to Greer because he didn't do what Ward was supposed to.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't need to be subjective, I thought he had a poor game - some people seem to be saying he was great, which I think we all agree he wasn't. I hope he becomes an albion legend and power us to the premier league, but great tonight he wasn't.

Nobody is saying he was great you utter bellend! Just that he wasn't bad enough to warrent a thread about being poor. Even the negative comments are about him being "workmanlike" What the f**k were you all expecting for £500k :shrug:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
no sorry if you watched the same game as me he was poor - no one could describe his performance as great as the previous poster did. Granted not as bad a Harley, but not a great game. I am not slating the bloke he just didn't play well as Spanish Rodney who had a poor game but played well on saturday - he just had a poor game and that is a fact. Did you think Dale was "great" tonight?

Of course it isn't a fact, it is merely your opinion.

And I've seen enough examples of your opinion to know how much credence to give them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that he was ok tonight and shows promise that he will become an essential part of our team he had some good moments and some not so good but overall he did .ok.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good player. Solid game. Not spectacular, nor poor. Solid.

A 6 from me.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Nobody is saying he was great you utter bellend! Just that he wasn't bad enough to warrent a thread about being poor. Even the negative comments are about him being "workmanlike" What the f**k were you all expecting for £500k :shrug:

1) I didn't start the thread.
2) Re read the thread people are saying he was great.
3) thanks for the bellend comment.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
1) I didn't start the thread.
2) Re read the thread people are saying he was great.
3) thanks for the bellend comment.

I've re-read the thread and found the moment. I don't know you, it's nothing personal and for all I know you're a great bloke but these are the ramblings of a bellend.

Really - Christ I must have been at a different game - he was awful. Happy to give him the benefit of the doubt but that was not a very good performance. I am staggered you thought it was great. Great was Ince, Lua Lua and March - just so you know for future.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whoever said Spanish Dave was the new Ashley Barnes was wrong. Stephens is the new Barnes.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I've re-read the thread and found the moment. I don't know you, it's nothing personal and for all I know you're a great bloke but these are the ramblings of a bellend.

Really? Ramblings of a bellend - is that really necessary just because Stephens didn't have a good game? As I said happy to give him the benefit of the doubt as he has only just signed for us and of course I hope he has a glittering career with the albion, but he was far from great tonight.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Really? Ramblings of a bellend - is that really necessary just because Stephens didn't have a good game? As I said happy to give him the benefit of the doubt as he has only just signed for us and of course I hope he has a glittering career with the albion, but he was far from great tonight.

You're quickly moving from simple bellend territory into total c**tface territory, there's no need for it to happen, you can stop moving at any point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports