Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephens...poor show tonight!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think Stephens has been okay since joining us, to be fair to him the last 2 home games we've played Oscar has deployed a much more attacking formation, the central midfield isn't full of players so our midfield will ,at times, be a bit stretched. Personally I think he will become a very valuable player for us.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Yes I feel he has done a thoroughly decent job in the last two games and the team has looked very solid. For the transfer fee paid we cannot expect a world-beater but hope that we have somebody to slot in and do a good job. There is every indication we have this.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I'd love to see how much ground he covers as I bet it's more than anyone else. He was seen in practically every position bar left wing last night. A very versatile player who, with a little nurturing from our head coach could become a rather brilliant player. His decision making last night wasn't the best but overall he did OK. Can't understand the lambasting.

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
I thought he was solid enough last night and on Saturday. He covers a lot of ground and seems to be settling into the Brighton style. Don't forget he has played 3 times in 10 days for us. Take a look at the highlights the Argus have recently posted of the game - the ball he played for Calde was sumptuous. At the time I was too busy watching Calde make the run, but watching again, you appreciate the quality of the pass.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He was ok last night, and clearly will get better as he settles in.

Cup-tied out of the Hull match, so he has time to integrate more before featuring again, perhaps v Wigan.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Cut him some slack.

Following his transfer Stephens barely had any training with a new and makeshift squad playing a different style to what he was used to. He had the misfortune to make his debut in one of our most disjointed performances (Watford) during which the team formation changed 2 or 3 times including a new striker. Plus we had a perfectly good goal disallowed at a time we were in the ascendant and I am sure we would have gone on to nick at least a draw.

In his next two games (Donny and Leeds) we weren't at our very best but ground out solid wins which can only do his confidence good. Plus under Oscar and with the calibre of players in our squad and still at a young enough age Stephens can only develop. Good luck to him, I wish him well.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
What a strange thread.
From my view Stephens had a good solid game, covered a hell of a lot of ground, won the ball, tidy passing and tried to get forward ahead of Ulloa when the situation arose. Seems to have fitted in very well and bar the odd moment of turning into trouble rather than the other way or playing it simple I've been very impressed.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Are you actually comparing a team that has been compiled with top flight football in mind.
With numerous teams scratching around the bottom 2 divisions and funded accordingly?

That's quite a leap.

We've been higher than the bottom two divisions in the last 30 years. And had some abysmal players in the second tier.

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
Looked off the pace and an error strewn display...would have taken him off after an hour myself. Ince on the other hand was superb! Fantastic 3 points and Lualua must start next game.

I do think he's just finding his feet in our style of play and will become a very good player

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Joking aside, last night's game was screaming out for a Crofts/Stephens type player to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

We really missed a combative box-to-box type midfielder IMO and, while I admire JFC's talents, I'm not sure that is his best role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here