Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Stay alert" - new govenment messaging

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The slogan is irrelevant but the granular details should be available when the announcement is made not days afterwards otherwise you leave the public very confused about what the announcements mean exactly for them

So true. Last night the message seemed to be back to work monday then unlimited exercise from wednesday. Apparently both referred to wednesday according to Raab.
Maybe we should have a Tuesday at 8pm collective you dont know what you're doing chant from the nations windows

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
'A government official' has had to clarify Dominic Raab's comments to Sky News earlier in regards to people meeting up at other peoples houses but staying 2 metres apart - this is not being introduced.

I wonder what the increased fine, that the head of the Police Federation says they won't be able to enforce, will be.

Raab mentioning the 4th of July as a 'possibly' date for parts of the hospitality sector - why not Bastille Day or the Anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne, or play it safe and go for July 17th when everyone will be celebrating Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's birthday instead of Independence Day in the US? Seemed a bit reading off the back of a fag packet/plucking a date out of thin air to me.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agree with all those making the following points.

How on earth can the government not co-ordinate their message with the devolved administrations. If they can't work together now, when will they be able to?

The communications are shocking, drip feed the media with briefings through the week that the lockdown will be loosened, but not say what. People spend the whole weekend in parks etc, because they've read it will be ok. Give an announcement on Sunday night that people should go back to work on Monday morning. Release detail the following day which contradicts the announcement, re meeting people outside your family. What a shambles

If the slogan is pointless, there's no need to have one

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The slogan is irrelevant but the granular details should be available when the announcement is made not days afterwards otherwise you leave the public very confused about what the announcements mean exactly for them

That's the key point. A detailed doc should be behind Boris's poundland Churchill speech for everyone to analyse. Not Preston drip feeding info that may or may not be correct from "a government source" to get interpreted in a number of different ways.

A total guess up made on the fly. Chancers.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
'A government official' has had to clarify Dominic Raab's comments to Sky News earlier in regards to people meeting up at other peoples houses but staying 2 metres apart - this is not being introduced.

I wonder what the increased fine, that the head of the Police Federation says they won't be able to enforce, will be.

Raab mentioning the 4th of July as a 'possibly' date for parts of the hospitality sector - why not Bastille Day or the Anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne, or play it safe and go for July 17th when everyone will be celebrating Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's birthday instead of Independence Day in the US? Seemed a bit reading off the back of a fag packet/plucking a date out of thin air to me.
August 15th VJ Day, so we can all do more congas to infect those missed last time.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Travellers from France will be exempt from the 2 week quarantine, it's just been announced. Gare du Nord looked deserted at rush hour this morning in the tweet below, so I can't see any problems with Eurostar trains coming into St Pancras.

[tweet]1259732470011846656[/tweet]

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
In fairness, after Boris's speech last night it's clear "Stay home" had to be dropped - for something.

It's also obvious why the new, utterly incoherent policy can't be summed up in two or three words.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Travellers from France will be exempt from the 2 week quarantine, it's just been announced. Gare du Nord looked deserted at rush hour this morning in the tweet below, so I can't see any problems with Eurostar trains coming into St Pancras.

[tweet]1259732470011846656[/tweet]

Will the French quarantine travellers from the UK though? A second spike here would surely lead to that predicament.

Market Porter

Or The Globe
Feb 14, 2008
South Walk
73378C17-AC67-49A7-87C8-4E333B5B29C0.jpeg

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
A pal of mine works at GSK in Worthing, whenever the management come up with a new procedure or new working practices that are given an acronym the staff usually have a sarcastic/comedic phrase for the acronym within hours.

On a serious point though, the government have not covered themselves in glory at any stage thus far other than by rolling out the Nightingale's in record time.

Which wasn't used to the maximum due to staff shortages. punk:

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
That's the key point. A detailed doc should be behind Boris's poundland Churchill speech for everyone to analyse. Not Preston drip feeding info that may or may not be correct from "a government source" to get interpreted in a number of different ways.

This with bells on.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I suppose there always has to be some people (that’s you) who fall for their rhetoric, otherwise they wouldn’t be in power.

I don't think I am 'falling for' anything. I am simply saying that there is a lot of nonsense being talked about clarity.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you really can’t interpret what “Stay Alert” means you’re a moron.

You’re being facetious here.

We all know what the words literally mean. But stay alert for what? I don’t need to be alert to wash my hands. I don’t need to be alert to stay 2 metres apart. I just have to be not blind.

Stay Alert.
Are we to all be in a constant state of high alert?

It means nought. It is meaningless. It has no relevance to the matter in hand.
It is the Tory’s shifting the blame onto the public.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

So true. Last night the message seemed to be back to work monday then unlimited exercise from wednesday. Apparently both referred to wednesday according to Raab.
Maybe we should have a Tuesday at 8pm collective you dont know what you're doing chant from the nations windows

It's the same every time, and I don't understand why they don't realise this beforehand. For instance, when BoJo announced that all 'non-essential shops' must close - it was a day or so before they published the (first) list of what they classed as essential / non-essential. That should have been ready at the moment it was announced - it was so obvious that shop-owners would immediately want to know whether that meant them or not.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't think I am 'falling for' anything. I am simply saying that there is a lot of nonsense being talked about clarity.

Of course you don’t think you’ve fallen for anything. Otherwise you wouldn’t have fallen for it, would you.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here