Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Stay alert" - new govenment messaging

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Any sweepstakes for the crafted slogans we're going to hear shortly??

Apart from the 'leaked' slogan I'll go for:

'Defeat this virus'
'Unprecedented'
'We thank you for your dedication and sacrifice'
'Ramp up testing'
'Restart the economy'

Doubt it'll be the buffonry language ('send this virus packing') because it's not live and written by others. Another key question is how many war metaphors are we going to hear? I'll go for four.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
From your initial post, I thought you were implying Sturgeon didn’t change their slogan/message because she has an agenda.

I happen to think it’s because she thinks the new message is unnecessary and ambiguous. As do the Welsh and the Northern Irish. As do many of us.

I think their only agenda is protecting their country.

Quite - I've said elsewhere that Sturgeon and Drakeford have been so very much more impressive than Johnson during this period - They've been honest, direct, straight. They haven't farted around with silly and inappropriate war metaphors, they haven't pretended that all will be fine if we just have a stiff upper lip. Oh, and they clearly haven't been consulted by the UK government, history will judge them far more kindly than it will Johnson.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It does seem quite simple... it is amazing how many people seem to want to make a meal out of it.

EXrzfrCXsAUk9_d.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It does seem quite simple... it is amazing how many people seem to want to make a meal out of it.

View attachment 123438

I'm pretty certain that there would be absolutely no "slogan" that would make people happy.

People got tired of the "we're all in this together", "lets look beyond party politics" stuff and are now back at where they begun: to leftists there is absolutely no way Boris could do anything right, and to "tories" there is absolutely no way he could do anything wrong.

I dont think its that complicated either. It means "there's a deadly virus around as all of you are aware of, stay alert". And either way: if the slogan really means a lot, there's a much bigger issue than the slogan itself - that issue being that people in that case are not able to process more information than one single sentence.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

View attachment 123438

Yes, but it's been built up (with leaks to press for example about garden centres) to make us all think some huge announcement was being made. All that's happened in reality is:

They come up with a vague nuanced new slogan.

Their mildly changed proposals are simply a reaction to what's happening out there, rather than new guidance.

Business were expecting a plan or even a hint of one, but it wasn't there.

I almost feel sorry for them, they clearly aren't in a position to take us forward, but have attempted to make it sound like they have.

I've no idea where you work, but a small insight in the situation in London. My office has come to the conclusion that there needs to be a tenth of the people in the building to ensure social distancing. Public transport similarly in London will need to run at 10 percent to ensure the same.

"People who can't work at home, should go to work."

That's a completely incongruous message to the reality. Luckily I can work from home, but can't at the moment see myself going into the office until next year.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes, but it's been built up (with leaks to press for example about garden centres) to make us all think some huge announcement was being made. All that's happened in reality is:

They come up with a vague nuanced new slogan.

Their mildly changed proposals are simply a reaction to what's happening out there, rather than new guidance.

Business were expecting a plan or even a hint of one, but it wasn't there.

I almost feel sorry for them, they clearly aren't in a position to take us forward, but have attempted to make it sound like they have.

I've no idea where you work, but a small insight in the situation in London. My office has come to the conclusion that there needs to be a tenth of the people in the building to ensure social distancing. Public transport similarly in London will need to run at 10 percent to ensure the same.

"People who can't work at home, should go to work."

That's a completely incongruous message to the reality. Luckily I can work from home, but can't at the moment see myself going into the office until next year.

What slogan would you want?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What slogan would you want?

No slogan at all obviously, I think that's what been missed. Unfortunately the government under Cummings have been taking over by a number of 20 something meme creators.

That's the state of our government at the moment in terms of communication.

The overall message tonight was take a risk to go to work but don't even think about meeting up with your family. Police, just make it up as you go along, we've given up advising you.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
You can count Nicola Sturgeon into your select band of morons: The first minister said the Sunday papers had been the first place she had seen the UK government's new slogan and admitted: "I do not know what 'Stay Alert' means."

She fits well since the R is higher in Scotland than anywhere else. Seems that they dont understand what any of the advice means.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

View attachment 123438

That's quite simple, agreed. But even you're wise enough to recognise that this thread is about the new 'stay alert' slogan (the clue is in the title), and that's quite rightly been widely ridiculed. Care to acknowledge that, or do you not do nuance?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
That's quite simple, agreed. But even you're wise enough to recognise that this thread is about the new 'stay alert' slogan (the clue is in the title), and that's quite rightly been widely ridiculed. Care to acknowledge that, or do you not do nuance?

"Stay Alert" to me means that we have moved from the emergency 'Stay at home" to the point where there is still a risk that we need to be aware of, but we need to start the process of getting on with our lives in some small ways, and act sensibly in the face of that risk.

I am not sure what all the fuss is about.

Have we lost all sense of personal responsibility?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can’t believe so many are getting their knickers in a twist over a bloody slogan. More important will be the flesh on the bones of the paper that’s been prepared and the more granular detail of the plan which is apparently due to come out over the next couple of days, such as detailed dos and donts.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Absolutely.

The politicising of this whole thing now has got completely tasteless.

The soon to be ex-slogan came with a whole load of caveats, particularly the "Stay at home" bit, ie you can exercise and go shopping etc, but I don't recall it being ripped to shreds for not being 100% factually accurate.

They can't say "Look, please just stay the **** away from others as much as you can" and if anyone is claiming to be confused, they really need to be having a word with themselves. Before they do that though, I'll help them: "Look, please just stay the **** away from others as much as you can".
Oh dear. Brainwashing complete. Stupidification of the nation is a roaring success.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
"Stay Alert" to me means that we have moved from the emergency 'Stay at home" to the point where there is still a risk that we need to be aware of, but we need to start the process of getting on with our lives in some small ways, and act sensibly in the face of that risk.

Have we lost all sense of personal responsibility?

I thought you might like this notion. Does it also apply to the PM, and entail admitting to mistakes?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Titanic; said:

32,000 deaths and rising?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
"Stay alert" - new govenment messaging

"Stay Alert" to me means that we have moved from the emergency 'Stay at home" to the point where there is still a risk that we need to be aware of

Funny that. I don’t think we’ve moved anywhere significant yet in beating this thing. In fact, Boris’ The Day Today/Nando’s style Coronascale indicated that we’re still on DEFCON 4 (5 being very Hot and 1 being Lemon & Herb) all though he’d love us to get to DEFCON 3.

The wording may be careless and message a little nuanced but the main criticism is that ‘stay at home’ was working. It seems we’re trying to copy Germany’s lead in opening back up when they had just 555 new cases yesterday compared to our 3,923. If you consider that they are still well ahead of us on track, test & treat; the difference in infection rates could even be a lot higher. Boris is trying to rush everything back, if we get a second spike, it will be his fault entirely.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Can’t believe so many are getting their knickers in a twist over a bloody slogan. More important will be the flesh on the bones of the paper that’s been prepared and the more granular detail of the plan which is apparently due to come out over the next couple of days, such as detailed dos and donts.

The slogan is irrelevant but the granular details should be available when the announcement is made not days afterwards otherwise you leave the public very confused about what the announcements mean exactly for them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here