Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Stay alert" - new govenment messaging

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Fair points all. I think tonight will represent an easing in almost name only, and I agree with you that that is all it should be. Drive down the numbers for another 3 weeks, get on top of testing and get the app going. Then we can start to move forward a little more.

I hope you're right. I'd be happy with that. As long as he gives a nice clear message that doesn't trigger silliness, I'll put my powder back in the dry box :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I suppose it won’t. Getting away from pinning everything on politicians/scientists, to the real world of personal responsibility, the UK landscape I picture in two or three weeks time is:

3/4 of folk complying with the new rules.
1/4 doing whatever the feck they want.

I hope that the latter don’t screw things for everyone else. That would mean a marked second covid wave, and prolonging restrictions on living for everyone whilst many other nations reap the many benefits of doing it properly.

Indeed.

I had a WTF moment earlier today (ahem) when I saw the 'stay alert' slogan, and saw some of the reactions (from the tiny 'hooray for the loosening of restrictions' brigade). Time I exhaled and posted some nice music. Haven't even done my 'best track of the day' yet :lolol: :thumbsup:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I suppose it won’t. Getting away from pinning everything on politicians/scientists, to the real world of personal responsibility, the UK landscape I picture in two or three weeks time is:

3/4 of folk complying with the new rules.
1/4 doing whatever the feck they want.

I hope that the latter don’t screw things for everyone else. That would mean a marked second covid wave, and prolonging restrictions on living for everyone whilst many other nations reap the many benefits of doing it properly.

Like you I’m hoping that quarter don’t **** things up for the rest of us. Then I think of the people I used to come into contact with, on a daily basis, and think, no if it’s left to public common sense we are screwed...

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Half the amount of deaths as USA but that means nothing as they're about 50 times the size of us. So basically the worst country in the world that has dealt with this.
Gov
"F*** um, get them back to work and give them a new slogan."

"And give them a traffic light alert status, just like the levels of fat and salt on supermarket packaging. That will shut them up. I can talk for hours about how important that is."

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Like you I’m hoping that quarter don’t **** things up for the rest of us. Then I think of the people I used to come into contact with, on a daily basis, and think, no if it’s left to public common sense we are screwed...

I’ve come round to your way of thinking as time’s moved on (I well remember your special household reasons). I know a few posters disagree with the following and rate 99% of the great British public as amazing throughout, but I think there’s a dogged and not insignificant number of people across the social spectrum who are increasingly doing as they please.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I assume we've employed this chap to help write the new slogan?
CfQ5aW0WsAATR6x.jpg

Jimmy Grimble

I didn’t say they had ..but I would say they all have their own agendas..nothing new there

From your initial post, I thought you were implying Sturgeon didn’t change their slogan/message because she has an agenda.

I happen to think it’s because she thinks the new message is unnecessary and ambiguous. As do the Welsh and the Northern Irish. As do many of us.

I think their only agenda is protecting their country.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
From your initial post, I thought you were implying Sturgeon didn’t change their slogan/message because she has an agenda.

I happen to think it’s because she thinks the new message is unnecessary and ambiguous. As do the Welsh and the Northern Irish. As do many of us.

I think their only agenda is protecting their country.

Hmm ..without contradicting myself (hopefully) ..I do think Sturgeon has ...maybe not so at the beginning..so our opinions differ .which is fine

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Has anyone actually said we need no slogan at all? The problem is that by changing the slogan the government is signalling to the nation. The question is what is it signalling......green for go, and 'nuance'?

I liked the old slogan. Making a change to it is meant to be a powerful signal to the nation, surely? Why else do it?

So, may I ask, what does 'Stay alert' actually mean to you?

A number of people in this thread were saying they didn’t feel there should be a slogan

Re: what does it mean - shall we actually wait for the statement?

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
If you really can’t interpret what “Stay Alert” means you’re a moron.

You can count Nicola Sturgeon into your select band of morons: The first minister said the Sunday papers had been the first place she had seen the UK government's new slogan and admitted: "I do not know what 'Stay Alert' means."

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
A number of people in this thread were saying they didn’t feel there should be a slogan

Re: what does it mean - shall we actually wait for the statement?

Well, no... if you need a statement to explain a slogan it’s not a very good slogan...

Let’s think, good slogans...

Buy British - explains itself
Finger Licking Good - again self explanatory if crap food
Because You’re Worth It - targeted slogan that works for its audience
Every Little Helps - while not immediately obvious, when you know the brand owner it ties in

And even

Stay at Home - protect the NHS - Save Lives - clear message

Stay Alert - Control the Virus - Save Lives - meaningless drivel, which apparently needs a statement to explain its meaning!!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well, no... if you need a statement to explain a slogan it’s not a very good slogan...

Let’s think, good slogans...

Buy British - explains itself
Finger Licking Good - again self explanatory if crap food
Because You’re Worth It - targeted slogan that works for its audience
Every Little Helps - while not immediately obvious, when you know the brand owner it ties in

And even

Stay at Home - protect the NHS - Save Lives - clear message

Stay Alert - Control the Virus - Save Lives - meaningless drivel, which apparently needs a statement to explain its meaning!!!

Again, I’m not suggesting it’s brilliant. We’ll understand it better later this evening

However, I still haven’t seen anything that convinces me of a better alternative for what needs to be a nuanced message.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
personally, I'm not looking forward to saint Boris "setting us free". I distrust him deeply and his record is shameful. The mixed messaging is also shocking, damn this clown

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Stay Alert just means be aware of any new symptoms you show and act accordingly ?

Very wishy washy watery message.

We can add it to the crisis cock up list.

Last edited:

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Basically during the next stage, just be a grown up and make a decision for.yourself rather than letting the government do it for you, me personally I will go to work and come home, much like I have been doing all along, I will go about my daily life as much as I can and I will stay away for large gatherings of people, when I talk to people I will stand 2m away from them.

I'm not scared to go out, but if you are......don't !

But people who are saying they're not going back to work, don't be upset when your firm either gets rid of you or goes tits up because they have no staff or money.

Ultimately we’re all going to have to get on with it in the near future, time to do what you can to stop the spread and stay well.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Basically during the next stage, just be a grown up and make a decision for.yourself rather than letting the government do it for you me personally I will go to work and come home, much like I have been doing all along, I will go about my daily life as much as I can and I will stay away for large gatherings of people, when I talk to people I will stand 2m away from them.

I'm not scared to go out, but if you are......don't !

But people who are saying they're not going back to work, don't be upset when your firm either gets rid of you or goes tits up because they have no staff or money.

Ultimately we’re all going to have to get on with it in the near future, time to do what you can to stop the spread and stay well.

Might need a few more lecterns for that message to get across

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here