Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Stay alert" - new govenment messaging

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Yes I saw it when it was broadcast and he clarifies we don't know about infection, he was only talking about deaths...

I've watched it back to check to see what he said .. So as I said, how many people have teenagers passed the virus onto, as the eminent analyst admitted he didn't know!

He was very clear about what he did and didn't know - and refreshingly numbers driven as opposed to politically driven - but I thought his presentation of those numbers provided insight over and above the usual hyperbole as well as highlighting the holes.

- 1% of the total people over 90 in the UK have died of Corona virus. That is an absolutely staggering number (and, as he points out, a risk 10,000 times greater to the virus than someone under the age of 25)
- Just 2 deaths under the age of 15 (and he does point out that of course they can spread it). This is an equally staggeringly low number.

In time, when we've stopped arguing about slogans, it's clear there is a need for some sort of risk based approach. Personally, I don't think the public is ready for a differing approach across regions or age groups and we don't have enough information currently (as he said himself) but there is a argument to be had in future if the vulnerably can be protected and the evidence supports it.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
He was very clear about what he did and didn't know - and refreshingly numbers driven as opposed to politically driven - but I thought his presentation of those numbers provided insight over and above the usual hyperbole as well as highlighting the holes.

- 1% of the total people over 90 in the UK have died of Corona virus. That is an absolutely staggering number (and, as he points out, a risk 10,000 times greater to the virus than someone under the age of 25)
- Just 2 deaths under the age of 15 (and he does point out that of course they can spread it). This is an equally staggeringly low number.

In time, when we've stopped arguing about slogans, it's clear there is a need for some sort of risk based approach. Personally, I don't think the public is ready for a differing approach across regions or age groups and we don't have enough information currently (as he said himself) but there is a argument to be had in future if the vulnerably can be protected and the evidence supports it.

Yes, I thought he was very good.

I guess I am in an unusual situation where we are of an age that would start to be in the risk areas, at 59&60, and my wife is very vulnerable, but have a 3 year old starting school in September. Hence my concerns regards the infection risks...!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Yes, I thought he was very good.

I guess I am in an unusual situation where we are of an age that would start to be in the risk areas, at 59&60, and my wife is very vulnerable, but have a 3 year old starting school in September. Hence my concerns regards the infection risks...!

I guess, therein lies the problem of one size fits all solutions. Kids going back to school is low risk if you are in your 40s and staying away from over 75s but how do you do it if in your case where your wife is vulnerable? No easy answers obviously as if the schools open you have the unenviable choice of protecting your wife or your youngest missing thier 1st term.

Personally, I'd like to see the government using the data to try and make the right decisions instead of trying to make the right political one which will end in tears.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Did he give analysis for how many under 15s have passed the virus on to someone else, who has subsequently died?

Thought not...

none apparently, as incredible as it sounds, no reported case of a child passing the infection on, when going through contract tracing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I guess, therein lies the problem of one size fits all solutions. Kids going back to school is low risk if you are in your 40s and staying away from over 75s but how do you do it if in your case where your wife is vulnerable? No easy answers obviously as if the schools open you have the unenviable choice of protecting your wife or your youngest missing thier 1st term.

Personally, I'd like to see the government using the data to try and make the right decisions instead of trying to make the right political one which will end in tears.

Yes, it is a very difficult situation. The only upside, if there is one is that he is a non verbal, non understanding child with autism, so I am not entirely convinced missing some schooling will have as dramatic effect as some children.

It is more than possible, as a summer child he may be able to start reception next year and be the oldest in his year rather than the youngest and miss no schooling time

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He spent 3 minutes explaining alerts, and how they will drive decision making. He then mentioned the slogan once. As I have noted elsewhere, the slogan was surely an error, something invented by an aid who misunderstood a conversation, and the slogan was then approved without due consideration by a careless executive.

Boris has contradicted himself on other issues today.

I fear the captain is now an empty suit.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
He spent 3 minutes explaining alerts, and how they will drive decision making. He then mentioned the slogan once. As I have noted elsewhere, the slogan was surely an error, something invented by an aid who misunderstood a conversation, and the slogan was then approved without due consideration by a careless executive.

Boris has contradicted himself on other issues today.

I fear the captain is now an empty suit.

It is funny how a simple mistake can be blown out of all proportion when you throw in a good dose of senior level incompetence.

I must tell you one day, how I ended up inheriting offshore development teams in both Serbia and Siberia (true story !) :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is funny how a simple mistake can be blown out of all proportion when you throw in a good dose of incompetence.

I must tell you one day, how I ended up inheriting offshore development teams in both Serbia and Siberia (true story !) :wink:

:lolol: I think we have both hit the nail on the head here.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
EXxfpk5WoAAzS_K.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here