"Stay alert" - new govenment messaging

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OUR PLAN TO REBUILD: The UK Government’s COVID-19 recovery strategy

View attachment 123461

Thanks. So the critical fig 6, how does it map to reality? We are not at the first dotted line yet, are we?

aspiration vs reality.PNG

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
[tweet]1259785018093834240[/tweet]

Are you a bit troubled?

Those road signs are very to the point.

If you’re tired, take a break. It’s dangerous to drive tired.

“Stay alert” conveys nothing.

In fact it would be a good road sign. It’s not a good slogan for a pandemic that’s killing thousands, needlessly.

Stay alert for government spin and cover ups, maybe?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Thanks. So the critical fig 6, how does it map to reality? We are not at the first dotted line yet, are we?

I guess it is what they mean by 'caseload'.

If it is new positive tests... then we seem not there yet.

If it is hospital admissions, critical care beds or daily deaths, then maybe?

Screen Shot 05-11-20 at 03.34 PM.JPG

Last edited:

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Are you a bit troubled?

Those road signs are very to the point.

If you’re tired, take a break. It’s dangerous to drive tired.

“Stay alert” conveys nothing.

In fact it would be a good road sign. It’s not a good slogan for a pandemic that’s killing thousands, needlessly.

Stay alert for government spin and cover ups, maybe?

My 5yr old understands what 'stay alert' means. I've always thought she was gifted.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I guess it is what they mean by 'caseload'.

If it is new positive tests... then we seem not there yet.

If it is hospital admissions, critical care beds or daily deaths, then maybe?

The deliberate mislabeling of the Y axis in order that one's true position can remain shrouded in ambiguity is of course a technique for providing maximum flexibility of decision making, going forward.

Or, as we call it in my game, deliberate scientific fraud.

Take yer pick :thumbsup:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...tay-alert-coronavirus-message-whitty-vallance

The two experts who have guided the government’s response to coronavirus were not asked to approve the controversial new “stay alert” message, the Guardian has learned.

Neither Prof Chris Whitty, the government’s chief medical officer, nor Sir Patrick Vallance, its chief scientific adviser, were asked to sign off on dropping the “stay at home” advice before Boris Johnson unveiled the new strategy last night.

Their lack of a role amid criticism of the switch in the key message has prompted renewed doubt about the government’s persistent claim it is “following the science” in its response to the virus.

It comes as experts who attend meetings of the scientific advisory group on emergencies (Sage) broke cover to criticise the government over its handling of the change in messaging, with some complaining that Downing Street had sidelined them from the process.

Speaking in a professional capacity, Prof John Drury, a social psychologist at the University of Sussex and a member of the scientific pandemic influenza group on behaviours (SPI-B), which feeds into Sage on issues including the best ways to communicate government strategy with the public, said the group had “considerable expertise” on health behaviour and emergency communications which had hardly been called on by the government. “Who is advising on the current messaging? Unfortunately it’s not us,” he said.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yet another clinical dissection of hmgov actions by Starmer in progress in Parliament. Asking all the right questions in pursuit of clarity without so much as a raised voice. Deeply impressive

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My 5yr old understands what 'stay alert' means. I've always thought she was gifted.

I think we can all offer suggestions for what 'stay alert means, and they would all probably not be hugely dissimilar.

The problem is that when deciding whether to visit our dear old mum, or go back to work, or get a haircut, 'stay alert' is not going to provide a road map to avoiding infection.

I actually think this slogan is a genuine cock up of Chinese Whispers proportions:

• Yesterday Boris was mentioning that in order to be able to provide new advice on when to loosen restrictions, the government will need to stay alert, carefully monitoring trends and numbers in order to inform their decision making. I am 110% happy with that.
  • However, I think that some dimbot then said 'we can make it our slogan' and Boris went 'yeah, whatever'. The next thing, they have covered the portaloo with yellow and green stickers saying 'stay alert'.

I worked all that out because I always stay alert. However I have absolutely no idea if I have Covid 19, or have had it, or when it will be safe for me to mingle at ever decreasing distances with my neighbours, fellow poor ******* commuters on the train who think they have been ordered back to work, et cetara et cetera.

Be vigilant, and stand foresquare against the virus! We can then think about what a road map may look like.

So, none of them seem to care to understand the advice they have been given, and instead have tried to process it all through their party poliical sausage machine. This makes them a shit-shower of dimbot thunder*****. Sad, but true.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yet another clinical dissection of hmgov actions by Starmer in progress in Parliament. Asking all the right questions in pursuit of clarity without so much as a raised voice. Deeply impressive

I'm also enjoying his forensic, intellectual approach to holding this government to account. Shouting wouldn't be anywhere near as effective. Labour did well to put him there.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Everyone here also know what the words “stay alert” mean. They are just somewhat meaningless in the context of the current pandemic.

Anyway, it’s my gut instinct that the slogan will do more harm than good. Seeing as England is arguably the country that is coping worst in the world with Corona-virus, I’m sticking with my gut feeling. Backed up by all the figures, obvs.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Here’s President Macron’s new slogan.

B6EF7309-731A-4EDC-8E34-C4C2BBFCA322.jpeg

(Save Lives; Be Careful)

I wonder if French twitter is now awash with people saying, Be careful of what? What does careful mean?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Slogans for this stage have outlived their usefulness.

We need to now to speak in a more nuanced grown up way.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

View attachment 123464

That "Steps to Adjust current social distancing measures" is quite possibly the noddiest of Noddy diagrams the government has presented and they have done a few. I can have an Ice cream when exactly? That's before we get onto what must be the flawed logic of the curve going continually downwards as Social distancing measures are relaxed more and more.

2/10. Must do better

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here