Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ssn hd

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Am I the only person who finds HD a bit unnecessary? The sound and picture on my current non-HD telly is perfectly fine thank you very much, and I don't want to pay more for an HD tv, nor extra for HD tv channels. I'll stick with what I've got ta.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Am I the only person who finds HD a bit unnecessary? The sound and picture on my current non-HD telly is perfectly fine thank you very much, and I don't want to pay more for an HD tv, nor extra for HD tv channels. I'll stick with what I've got ta.

Yep, my Grandad has a similar view on tapes when we suggest perhaps a CD player would sound better

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

You'll change, I promise you, you will change!

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands

... my thoughts exactly, until the rest of the family persuaded me to 'invest' in HD.

Now I'm a total HD snob.

I only surf the HD telly listings.
If it isn't in HD ... I don't watch it.

The only exception I ever made was SSN .... and now I don't have to!! :rave:

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep, my Grandad has a similar view on tapes when we suggest perhaps a CD player would sound better

Indeed.
I've always said colour TV is a bit overrated as well. Would Laurel & Hardy have been any better given the full-on Technicolor treatment ?
Course not.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I am indeed a total picture snob now, I can't deny it.

If I come in and the wife is watching something in SD when we have the HD channel for it, I drag her from the room by her hair and beat her unconcious. Yes, even if IS "only Pineapple Dance Studios".

I'm with the lovely Mrs Easy on this one. I rarely think to watch something in HD. I want SS1, I stick 401 on. I can see the players, the ball, everything really. I very rarely think to go looking for the HD version.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

I'm with you, although we do have one. Basically, one of our boxes was frigged, and they were doing such a good deal that it was barely any more money than a regulr one, with a TONNE more memory. I like the search and info features it has over teh regular box.

But picture quality? Pah, take it or leave it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm with the lovely Mrs Easy on this one. I rarely think to watch something in HD. I want SS1, I stick 401 on. I can see the players, the ball, everything really. I very rarely think to go looking for the HD version.

FWIW, were you to see a bit of NFL in HD, you'd stick to HD ASAP and flick to 408 PDQ, IMO like.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm with you, although we do have one. Basically, one of our boxes was frigged, and they were doing such a good deal that it was barely any more money than a regulr one, with a TONNE more memory. I like the search and info features it has over teh regular box.

But picture quality? Pah, take it or leave it.

Are you saying you can't really see much difference ?

How are you connecting your HD box to your tellybox ? Cos I remember Danny Baker saying of HD that he'd been "sold a pup", but in the same breath then mentioned that he was using a scart lead to connect it up.
Which kind of defeats the object.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
FWIW, were you to see a bit of NFL in HD, you'd stick to HD ASAP and flick to 408 PDQ, IMO like.

I have done. In fact it was just before Col popped round for an NFL game last season that we had the new HD box installed, as well as a new telly, and it was indeed splendid. Tbh though, the picture quality on the regular channels is also splendid, so it was as much the new telly as anything.

I just can't see much of a difference really.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Are you saying you can't really see much difference ?

How are you connecting your HD box to your tellybox ? Cos I remember Danny Baker saying of HD that he'd been "sold a pup", but in the same breath then mentioned that he was using a scart lead to connect it up.
Which kind of defeats the object.

Yep, that's what I'm saying.

It's one of those dinky little HD connectors, rather than those fatter scart thingies. I haven't gone out and spent £50+ on a "supreme, gold and platinum HD premium" or something bit of cable, but I don't think I ever would.

Suffice to say I have a regular old DVD player rather than a Blu Ray, and the picture from the Sky box is far superior from the Sky Box than the DVD player (via a gold Scart). But from the regular Sky Sports to Sky Sports HD? Nah, very little in it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My lad has just bought a Playstation 3, and OUTRAGEOUSLY it only comes with an SD to phono lead [to plug into the red, yellow, and white sockets on the side]. He used it like that for a day or two until I went and bought a £10 HDMI cable, and the difference in picture quality is massive.

We've no HD tv signal yet, but must get a blueray disk or two to try [on the PS3].

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yep, that's what I'm saying.

It's one of those dinky little HD connectors, rather than those fatter scart thingies. I haven't gone out and spent £50+ on a "supreme, gold and platinum HD premium" or something bit of cable, but I don't think I ever would.

Suffice to say I have a regular old DVD player rather than a Blu Ray, and the picture from the Sky box is far superior from the Sky Box than the DVD player (via a gold Scart). But from the regular Sky Sports to Sky Sports HD? Nah, very little in it.

Oh christ no, don't EVER splash out on a "gold" HDMI lead, thats one of the biggest rip-offs going. Its a digital signal - either it'll work or it won't, there is no discernable difference between a £50 lead or a £10 one.

Still surprised you see very little difference though. The golf in particular is gorgeous in HD, and I'm getting a semi just THINKING about watching the Ryder Cup this year.

Your remarks on sticking with the DVD player and not bothering with blu-ray did not have me falling of my chair though, to be fair. I am aware I am conversing with a chap who has seen about six films in his entire lifetime.

:)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My lad has just bought a Playstation 3, and OUTRAGEOUSLY it only comes with an SD to phono lead [to plug into the red, yellow, and white sockets on the side]. He used it like that for a day or two until I went and bought a £10 HDMI cable, and the difference in picture quality is massive.

We've no HD tv signal yet, but must get a blueray disk or two to try [on the PS3].

Blu-rays are marvellous. Avatar is probably the best HD picture I've seen for anything. CGI films on blu-ray generally (Toy Story, Madagascar) are absolutely terrific, but be aware some of the older films knocking about arn't as good picture-wise as the newer blu-rays.

If the bitrates are running in the 30's then it will be superb, but sometimes they're down in the teens for the older stuff, which won't be quite as impressive.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Blu-rays are marvellous. Avatar is probably the best HD picture I've seen for anything. CGI films on blu-ray generally (Toy Story, Madagascar) are absolutely terrific, but be aware some of the older films knocking about arn't as good picture-wise as the newer blu-rays.

I wouldn't be buying anything like Avatar to watch at home to be honest. Some things are meant to be appreciated on the big screen.

If the bitrates are running in the 30's then it will be superb, but sometimes they're down in the teens for the older stuff, which won't be quite as impressive.

Thanks for the advice Easy, but a liitle bit for you in return - you're starting to sound like a BIT of a NERD, now...

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here