NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So Withdean Wanderer was right after all. *Strokes chin thoughtfully*

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We don't need 5.

As of now we have lost Dave, Vicente, Dicker and Hammond from last year.

With JFC hopefully having a bigger involvement, and with Solly March stepping up, I think we need 2 more, at most 3.

And Dobbie, and hopefully Harley. We did have too many. But we can't KNOW that JFC or March will step up, and it would be daft management to assume they will. I'd say we need 3/4.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Disappointing as he was majestic at times last season. However, I won't grumble if someone is trying to lower the average age of the squad.
Signing Upson and El-Abd is nice but both are the wrong side of 30. Would like a mid 20s midfielder.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Disappointing as he was majestic at times last season. However, I won't grumble if someone is trying to lower the average age of the squad.
Signing Upson and El-Abd is nice but both are the wrong side of 30. Would like a mid 20s midfielder.

They're both the wrong side of 30 ? Adam is 28

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Gus had too many, agreed. But we now have:

Bridcutt
Crofts (hasn't got going at all)
Orlandi
Lua Lua (injury prone)
Buckley (injury prone)
JFC (still unproven)

For a five man midfield (4-3-3 but counting wingers as midfielders), that is nowhere near enough. We do need at least 4 in I would say.

I'd say 3 more myself as long as they are quality players, 2 central and one winger. If Crofts fails to come up to standard this season then I'd agree 4 and look to shift Crofts out but from what I've seen of JFC then I think he's an adequate replacement for Dicker who was mainly a bit part player anyway.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
And Dobbie, and hopefully Harley. We did have too many. But we can't KNOW that JFC or March will step up, and it would be daft management to assume they will. I'd say we need 3/4.

I think 3 will be needed. Of the players lost only hammond and dave were regular starters so jfc and march will probably be around the squad in place of dicker and the dagger. Certainly in a 433 a midfield of crofts, bridcutt and orlandi is okay with ulloa, buckley and barnes/lualua beyond, but it does lack some phyicality and as you say a couple if those are injury prone. I really hope we see movement soon.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I think 3 will be needed. Of the players lost only hammond and dave were regular starters so jfc and march will probably be around the squad in place of dicker and the dagger. Certainly in a 433 a midfield of crofts, bridcutt and orlandi is okay with ulloa, buckley and barnes/lualua beyond, but it does lack some phyicality and as you say a couple if those are injury prone. I really hope we see movement soon.

Three first choice players, left back, central midfield, and a.n. other (luxury player with goal threat)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Dave covers many postions though, He will be a great loss to the team.

He does a decent enough job at right back, fills in holding midfield pretty well, cant tackle as well as bridcutt but can still pull the strings in that role, he can also sit infront of bridcutt or sit out wide.

Letting him go will be a bad move IMO.

Then of course you have his penalty taking abilities! we will be back to square one.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oscar isn't involved in transfers or contracts. David Burke is

David Burke identifies targets right through the club from youth upward. Ultimately though, the input and decisions of the first team coach / manager are essential to this process.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Does anyone really think Garcia has no say? This line keeps being trotted out but the idea of Burke buying or getting in loan players without Garcia's approval seems ludicrous to me. No decent manager is going to sign up to that scenario imo.

Agree, I think its like any employer recruiting. Department manager (OG) creates a job spec, HR (Burke) finds candidates and reviews the CVs and passes the "long list" onto the department manager who "short lists" for interviews. Both sit in on the interview, the manager gives a list of preferred candidates in order of desirability and HR makes it happen.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
it's an interesting one - I had been firmly on the "Definitely sign him up" side until considering that OG may want to up the pace a bit. It's true that he is a very deliberate footballer, which of course isn't a bad thing - and I still reckon that OG would recognise his value as he was just SO good at times last season.

So I'm still of the opinion that we should sign him on, though just not as fervently as before.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My personal opinion for what its worth is Spanish Dave's agent is playing us off against potential suitors.

Im Not A JCL

Aug 29, 2011
BN15
I thought we should sign him either way, if Oscar had someone else in mind, Spanish Dave would be quality in a back up

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Does anyone really think Garcia has no say? This line keeps being trotted out but the idea of Burke buying or getting in loan players without Garcia's approval seems ludicrous to me. No decent manager is going to sign up to that scenario imo.

Agree with that. If Oscar had no say in what players we bring in, I for one, would find that MENTAL

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
one ofour better players last season,suprised tbh,but must someone else in mind

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
would be dissapointed not to see Spanish Dave back with us, really grew to love him as the season went on...but I see this as us having someone else lined up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here