Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spanish Dave

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
No chance, In my opinion as with the lack of interviews with Oscar and the players it's just a game being played to satisfy the lawyers until the Gus situation is sorted.

This, I can t believe some really believe that Oscar has no say and just coaches the first team.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think Garcia has a say, but he does not get as involved. He was not responsible for player recruitment at Tel Aviv Maccabi

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I'm guessing there are 3 options as to why he hasn't signed (yet)

1) Not happy with the wages being offered. (He has said he is happy with a one year contract)
2) The Agent fee is extorinate and we're not prepared to pay that much
3) Oscar/Burke have a better alternative

I reckon it's number 1 option, and we are now concentrating our efforts on securing a Right Midfielder.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Am I the only one who doesn't think that Orlandi is anywhere as good as Spanish Dave?

Am sure there are many others who agree with you. I though would prefer Orlandi to Spanish Dave - if I had to choose one.

I think a midfield 5 of

Bridcutt

Buckley Crofts/JFC Orlandi KLL/Barnes

is pretty strong.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
On the back page of todays Arsegas is a snippet on SD. It reads:

Door is closing on David

The door is closing on David and a return to the Amex.The Argus understands the offer of a one year deal has been withdrawn by the Albion. Neither the club nor the players representative wished to comment yesterday. Barring a dramatic twist, David is now expected to open talks with other potential employers. The former Athletic Bilbao star and his agent have always insisted they would not talk to other clubs until they had spoken to the Albion. David is training alone at home in Spain. He told the Argus " My first choice is Brighton "

Thoughts? I for one, would be disappointed to see him go.

My take on Oscar Garcia is that he likes to play high tempo fast attacking football. As good as Lopez is and how great he was last season he is not the quickest and the type of player Gus wanted but I cant see him offering the counter attacking option OG likes.
I cant for a second imagine we wouldn't have snapped him up already if he was in OG's plans. I don't think he will be with us next season

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
My take on Oscar Garcia is that he likes to play high tempo fast attacking football. As good as Lopez is and how great he was last season he is not the quickest and the type of player Gus wanted but I cant see him offering the counter attacking option OG likes.
I cant for a second imagine we wouldn't have snapped him up already if he was in OG's plans. I don't think he will be with us next season

That seems like a very well reasoned and level-headed summary. I don't think it will stop the outcry on this board with the first penalty we miss next season though.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Does anyone really think Garcia has no say? This line keeps being trotted out but the idea of Burke buying or getting in loan players without Garcia's approval seems ludicrous to me. No decent manager is going to sign up to that scenario imo.

Absolutely, it's complete tosh and was actually disproved by the Chairman when asked about transfers in his online interview before Oscar came in, he said that they were not expecting too many decisions to be made out or in before the new Head Coach arrived as it made no sense.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Rats. I'll have to buy a new Albion iphone cover now. Who is now the freakiest-looking member of our squad that i can idolise appleistically?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oscar MUST have someone better in mind. Either that, or the club is calling the player's bluff.

But it's not that simple. We've released about FIVE midfielders now. It's not 1 in, 1 out. Lopez is definitely worth keeping, regardless of who else is coming in, unless Oscar already has 5 midfielders ALL lined up and ready, which is doubtful.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Maybe OG doesn't what to offer a contract until he knows what Spanish Dave does?!!

Some one should tell him, can play anywhere across the middle plus full back.

Not sure anyone else in the squad can do that if called upon.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
But it's not that simple. We've released about FIVE midfielders now. It's not 1 in, 1 out. Lopez is definitely worth keeping, regardless of who else is coming in, unless Oscar already has 5 midfielders ALL lined up and ready, which is doubtful.

Unless Oscar is just as obsessed with midfielders as Gus was then I don't really see the need for signing 5 midfielders.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So who will miss all the penalties next season?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Madness if true. Quality quality player who would have improved in his second full season with us. Played regularly for Bilbao in La Liga before joining us... how are we going to pick up a better replacement without spending a fortune?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Unless Oscar is just as obsessed with midfielders as Gus was then I don't really see the need for signing 5 midfielders.

Gus had too many, agreed. But we now have:

Bridcutt
Crofts (hasn't got going at all)
Orlandi
Lua Lua (injury prone)
Buckley (injury prone)
JFC (still unproven)

For a five man midfield (4-3-3 but counting wingers as midfielders), that is nowhere near enough. We do need at least 4 in I would say.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

We don't need 5.

As of now we have lost Dave, Vicente, Dicker and Hammond from last year.

With JFC hopefully having a bigger involvement, and with Solly March stepping up, I think we need 2 more, at most 3.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here