[Albion] Solly March - now's the time

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't think they will.

Solly March will continue to put in a shift and do a decent job in three different positions, as and when required. He'll be constantly avaiable when all the other wide players are flakey - not cry off with minor twinges, won't pick up soft petulant bookings, nor find himself on the front pages of the local paper for nonsense. Equally, he won't score more than a couple of goals, won't do any step-overs or rainbow-flicks, or roast full-backs with express pace.

Half of the posters here will be content with that, and be glad to see a decent local lad continuing to do a good job for our club. The other half will continue to dribble out spite and nonsense, simply because he isn't the player they want him to be.

My view is that a squad needs a player or two like that.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I don't think they will.

Solly March will continue to put in a shift and do a decent job in three different positions, as and when required. He'll be constantly avaiable when all the other wide players are flakey - not cry off with minor twinges, won't pick up soft petulant bookings, nor find himself on the front pages of the local paper for nonsense. Equally, he won't score more than a couple of goals, won't do any step-overs or rainbow-flicks, or roast full-backs with express pace.

Half of the posters here will be content with that, and be glad to see a decent local lad continuing to do a good job for our club. The other half will continue to dribble out spite and nonsense, simply because he isn't the player they want him to be.
Pretty much my thoughts. He seems to be in the same situation as Knockaert - Great in the Championship, but struggles to replicate in the PL. A decent squad player.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
No he can't defend

There might be criticisms of Solly, but for a player who is mainly a winger I think his defending is decent.

A good chance of playing wing backs next season. He may not be first choice for either slot, but come the winter when we've got 3 injured and 2 banned, Solly will be a reassuring presence

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

There you go again, dissing anyone who thinks differently to you. Not thinking he is good enough to be part of an Albion looking to be a top half team doesn’t makes us purveyors of spite, nonsense and dribble. Get over the fact that your opinion is not definitive and the right one ffs!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There might be criticisms of Solly, but for a player who is mainly a winger I think his defending is decent.

A good chance of playing wing backs next season. He may not be first choice for either slot, but come the winter when we've got 3 injured and 2 banned, Solly will be a reassuring presence

But as a winger he's not good. Not sure what he does well. Some say a good squad player many, like me, would say a waste of a squad position.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There you go again, dissing anyone who thinks differently to you. Not thinking he is good enough to be part of an Albion looking to be a top half team doesn’t makes us purveyors of spite, nonsense and dribble. Get over the fact that your opinion is not definitive and the right one ffs!

Indeed. Graham Potter's is.

And he seems to agree with me.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I think (only my humble opinion!) that he is a very frustrating player. We get glimpses of his talent when he is in the mood. I seen him dance around defenders in the Premiership and attack the byline. Then disappear for the rest of the game. If he could be a little more consistent than I think he would be a very valuable player in our squad.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I happen to agree that he is a good option in the squad, plus he adds to our HGP quota. My biggest criticism of him is that he doesn't look like he believes in his own ability.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Solly's future with the Albion depends on what formation Potter intends to play next season. Clearly, if he goes with 3-5-2 or a 4-5-1 then Solly will be a useful squad member to provide cover on either flank. However, he is limited in a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 in this division.

I agree that he needs more belief and I think having Lallana at the club could really help Solly's attacking game.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
He should've been so much better than he's turned out to be. Does okayish at LWB as he's decent enough at defending, but on the wing he really is utterly useless. I'd get rid.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
his completion rate is around 15 % and he lacks confidence and a football brain .....not doubt he has talent but his end product is usually gash and or the wrong choice.

in my opinion like.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Got to say, Solly taken a big step forwards under Potter’s coaching, and definitely has moved up the pecking order as the season reached his close.

He seems:
a) more willing to take on his man
b) confident to spray a ball from one wing to the another (see Burnley 1st half).
c) strong in defence and the tackle

I thought he’s looked one of our better players through lockdown. Maybe something has clicked? Always thought it might be his own belief in himself rather than ability.
Absolutely no idea which game you were watching chap, certainly not our game. March never took anyone on that I recall, he was unchallenged in space several times, the result?... misplaced passes and crosses that didnt get past the first defender.... awful. He stifles our play, turns back on himself and even in defence he is mostly playing catchup.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Solly's future with the Albion depends on what formation Potter intends to play next season. Clearly, if he goes with 3-5-2 or a 4-5-1 then Solly will be a useful squad member to provide cover on either flank. However, he is limited in a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 in this division.

I agree that he needs more belief and I think having Lallana at the club could really help Solly's attacking game.

As an attacking threat/winger, Sollys natural position, I think he's gone backwards a bit, or maybe as we are at a higher level, he doesn't look as good or threaten as much as he once did. Yeah the odd fleeting moments, but no consistency.

And this is what me and an Albion friend were talking about him a couple of days ago, Could Solly be coached to defend a bit and be converted into a LWB??

We dont play with wingers as such, and on a few occasions (under Hughton) he was bought on more in a defensive LWB role, other players have transitioned positions. He's quick, he can cross, if he could be taught defensive positional stuff, and could get stuck in with the tackles, could he be turned into a good LWB?

As a L winger or AM he's well down the pecking order

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
This is perhaps where I am then, a position such as wing-back might be ideal for him, which is where I might be seeing such strong performances such as the first half against Southampton.
Even a wing back has to get up and challenge for headers... March is stuck at ground level.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
his completion rate is around 15 % and he lacks confidence and a football brain .....not doubt he has talent but his end product is usually gash and or the wrong choice.

in my opinion like.

Is 77.64% 'around' 15% ???

Official 2019/20PL stats for March:

Appearances 19
Passes 492
Pass % 77.64
Passes forward 134
Passes backwards 136
Touches 840
Through balls 1
Crosses 67

Blocks 4
Interceptions 20
Tackles 25
Clearances 10
Headed Clearances 5
Arial battles won 15

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Appearances 19
Passes 492
Pass % 77.64
Passes forward 134
Passes backwards 136
Touches 840
Through balls 1
Crosses 67

Blocks 4
Interceptions 20
Tackles 25
Clearances 10
Headed Clearances 5
Arial battles won 15

well if his backward passes are 95 % successful and his forward passes are 48% successful ....where are his crosses as a % it's those that i was referring to , as a winger his final ball is often pants

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Appearances 19
Passes 492
Pass % 77.64
Passes forward 134
Passes backwards 136
Touches 840
Through balls 1
Crosses 67

Blocks 4
Interceptions 20
Tackles 25
Clearances 10
Headed Clearances 5
Arial battles won 15

booooo there's someone willing to let the facts get in the way of a good tale

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
when we come up , March was at a crossroads where it wasnt unfeasable he kicked on and pushed for a call up.

Didn't get anywhere near those levels.

Ok for a squad player and can play a few positions.

Worth keeping as not everyone can be a Lallana

+ quite liked seeing his cross field passes to Lamptey , would like to see some more of that . Some of them were delicioius

They were quite a feature of the Burnley game. Great to see us using the direct switch to get Lamptey on the ball quickly, given the space he was given.

Given we don't play traditional wingers, I think March does have a role to play, as he's very versatile.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
well if his backward passes are 95 % successful and his forward passes are 48% successful ....where are his crosses as a % it's those that i was referring to , as a winger his final ball is often pants

This post is 15% accurate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports