Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Smug Eddie

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Never understood the anti Howe sentiments. Clever, young, creative English coach who, imho, deserves a chance to manage a bigger club.
All he seems to know is 442 not that clever, clever managers rinse the 442 these days. Did nothing to combat the threat of Mooy in our game either chose not to or didn’t have any answers.

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
He tried at Burnley, the day after promising Bournemouth fans he wouldn't leave. He failed miserably and went back to Bournemouth.

True...
I wonder why his managerial skills at Bournemouth didn't travel very well........

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Just trying to understand what people have against him. The criticism of Howe seems to be that he can’t hack it at a bigger club which as you say, Burnley were then as in a higher division. Or have I got that one wrong?

I don't really understand the antipathy towards him either. From what I judge of him through the media, I don't find him particularly likeable...but that is generally the case with many successful managers past and present. Getting Bournemouth into the Premier League for the first time in the club's history and keeping them there (so far) is extraordinary success!

Over the past years he has done Albion no favours either on or off the pitch - but there is no reason for him to do so. Perpetually trying to keep Bournemouth in the top division is like pushing water uphill in the long term. We shall see if he can manage it again. I wouldn't put it past him....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just trying to understand what people have against him. The criticism of Howe seems to be that he can’t hack it at a bigger club which as you say, Burnley were then as in a higher division. Or have I got that one wrong?

From comments I've read on here & elsewhere, it seems he was/is the blue eyed golden boy of plucky little Bournemouth. The smugness was another common criticism.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I must admit that I struggle to understand the dislike towards Eddie Howe, he’s done a great job at Bournemouth and they would be mad to sack him - can’t see it happening. For me, I would be much much happier, in fact ecstatic to see Dyche and Burnley get relegated rather than Bmuff and hope we can go to Burnley on the last day of the season sitting comfortably in mid table and knowing a result for us would send Burnley down !

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Dorchester down the road are having a bad enough job finding a new manager...........don't think B'muff will want the same problem !!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I must admit that I struggle to understand the dislike towards Eddie Howe, he’s done a great job at Bournemouth and they would be mad to sack him - can’t see it happening. For me, I would be much much happier, in fact ecstatic to see Dyche and Burnley get relegated rather than Bmuff and hope we can go to Burnley on the last day of the season sitting comfortably in mid table and knowing a result for us would send Burnley down !

Why do you need to understand what other people dislike. I can't stand Eddie Howe because he always seems to be smug, as per the thread title. Yes he has done a brilliant job and I don't think they will back him for a minute. But I don't like the football club either, ever since going down there as an Albion fan circa 1972/73. I don't like the town either, having lived near there and worked there in the late 1970s.

On the other hand, I don't share totally the pantomime hatred of Palace. I share in it but mainly as a joke.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

You weren’t at the Amex for the Hoops penalty decision or the Pawson dual sending off then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They didn’t sack Wagner

OK, officially it was mutual consent but he was under contract and offered to stay until the end of the season, and they let him go. They should have bent over backwards to keep him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
OK, officially it was mutual consent but he was under contract and offered to stay until the end of the season, and they let him go. They should have bent over backwards to keep him.

Really ?

Halfway though January they were 8 points shy of safety having taken 11 points from 22 games. They were stuffed, there was absolutely no way he was keeping them up. The mistake their board made was in then appointing another unknown german in the vague hope he could parachute into a league he'd never managed in, and somehow revive them. In reality what they needed was a dinosaur firefighter like (yes) Big Sam to give them a fighting chance.

Wagner was a busted flush. They never properly backed him after going up anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I hope he doesn’t get the sack, would love to see him take them down and see that smug grin wiped off his face as the ‘plucky’ fairytale ends in tears.

The fairytale which involved breaking FFP rules, and even managing to get their fine reduced. I remember some Cherry protesting on Nsc that they were operating perfectly legally when I questioned their spending, and it turned out they weren't.

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
You weren’t at the Amex for the Hoops penalty decision or the Pawson dual sending off then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some dodgy refereeing definitely but what did Eddie have to do with that - I was at those games you’ll have to remind me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Why do you need to understand what other people dislike. I can't stand Eddie Howe because he always seems to be smug, as per the thread title. Yes he has done a brilliant job and I don't think they will back him for a minute. But I don't like the football club either, ever since going down there as an Albion fan circa 1972/73. I don't like the town either, having lived near there and worked there in the late 1970s.

On the other hand, I don't share totally the pantomime hatred of Palace. I share in it but mainly as a joke.

Oh dear David, you and I will have to disagree.
I like Eddie Howe and admire what he has done at Bournemouth and I can't really go along with all the 'smug' bollards.
I lived in Bournemouth for three years from 1970 to 1973 and loved the place and am still a frequent visitor to the area. My youngest lad was at uni there and had a great time.
During my time there, I used to travel back to watch Albion's home matches, but I also watched a few Bournemouth games at the old Dean Court with a mate who was a Bournemouth fan. John Bond was the manager then and Ted McDougall and Phil Boyer, the star players.
Good times.
Anyway, one thing we do have in common is the 'Palace hate'. Like you, I treat it as a bit of a joke and that is that! I actually know quite a few quite decent Palace fans and used to co-manage our boys' team with another dad Palace fan...........we were a good partnership!:D

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't get this hatred for the 'muff manager. I presume he said something at some point that could be taken as not sufficiently respectful about the Albion. Well, boo hoo.

This 'smug eddie' bollocks has reached Joan Crawford proportions. It is as absurd as the trope from bitter Palarse fans that our owner has illegally bankrolled our success, and that we have only plastic fans who actually support Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal.

Yes, it would be useful if 'muff implode, as it increases our chances of staying up (we are currently 4 points off the bottom 3).

Otherwise, put the voodoo dolls and pins away, FFS. It's pathetic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here