Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Smug Eddie

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't get this hatred for the 'muff manager. I presume he said something at some point that could be taken as not sufficiently respectful about the Albion. Well, boo hoo.

This 'smug eddie' bollocks has reached Joan Crawford proportions. It is as absurd as the trope from bitter Palarse fans that our owner has illegally bankrolled our success, and that we have only plastic fans who actually support Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal.

Yes, it would be useful if 'muff implode, as it increases our chances of staying up (we are currently 4 points off the bottom 3).

Otherwise, put the voodoo dolls and pins away, FFS. It's pathetic.

My dislike comes from the fact that he does in fact look very smug when things are going well but what really tips the balance is that he looks like one of the Thunderbirds and I always thought that was a very very shite programme. The fact that his team played the football I wanted us to play over the last two seasons didn’t help either!

I have always thought of him as an excellent manager but I don’t have to like him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't get this hatred for the 'muff manager. I presume he said something at some point that could be taken as not sufficiently respectful about the Albion. Well, boo hoo.

This 'smug eddie' bollocks has reached Joan Crawford proportions. It is as absurd as the trope from bitter Palarse fans that our owner has illegally bankrolled our success, and that we have only plastic fans who actually support Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal.

Yes, it would be useful if 'muff implode, as it increases our chances of staying up (we are currently 4 points off the bottom 3).

While breaking FFP rules Howe continually made reference to ‘clubs like ours’ and ‘little old us’ and ‘punching above our weight’ all while spending £250m and the 12th highest wage bill in the league. It’s a miracle he’s managed to keep them up each year...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I’ll do what I like with my dolls thank you :whistle:

Ps you can’t deny that he normally looks smug..bless him

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Really ?

Halfway though January they were 8 points shy of safety having taken 11 points from 22 games. They were stuffed, there was absolutely no way he was keeping them up. The mistake their board made was in then appointing another unknown german in the vague hope he could parachute into a league he'd never managed in, and somehow revive them. In reality what they needed was a dinosaur firefighter like (yes) Big Sam to give them a fighting chance.

Wagner was a busted flush. They never properly backed him after going up anyway.

So that's the same David "Busted flush" Wagner that is currently 5th in the Bundesliga with Schalke 04, a team that he joined in the summer after they finished 14th the previous season?

Sean Dyche with Burnley started 2014/15 winless in his first 10 games, and later in the season took 11 points from 19 matches. Their chairman backed him despite taking a relegation.

Huddersfield should have taken their relegation on the chin, stuck with Wagner, banked the parachute payments and come back stronger. I doubt whether they'll have a better manager in the next 20 years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My dislike comes from the fact that he does in fact look very smug when things are going well but what really tips the balance is that he looks like one of the Thunderbirds and I always thought that was a very very shite programme. The fact that his team played the football I wanted us to play over the last two seasons didn’t help either!

I have always thought of him as an excellent manager but I don’t have to like him.

I liked the Thunderbirds. Especially Lady Penelope :love:

lady-penelope-powder-compact.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
While breaking FFP rules Howe continually made reference to ‘clubs like ours’ and ‘little old us’ and ‘punching above our weight’ all while spending £250m and the 12th highest wage bill in the league. It’s a miracle he’s managed to keep them up each year...

How (gedditt??) much were they fined for breaking the FFP rules? When did Howe become the finance director in charge of illegal spending?

What do you expect him to say about his club - that they are Massive? We all know what reaction that word evokes on NSC.

Why can't I work up much outrage about this? :shrug:

He seems like an astute manager and an intelligent and pleasant fellow. And he has nice hair.

Pards, on the other hand - a man who has adopted a fake quasi transtlantic drawl that no doubt he figures makes him a hit with the laydees. That's smug.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How (gedditt??) much were they fined for breaking the FFP rules? When did Howe become the finance director in charge of illegal spending?

What do you expect him to say about his club - that they are Massive? We all know what reaction that word evokes on NSC.

Why can't I work up much outrage about this? :shrug:

He seems like an astute manager and an intelligent and pleasant fellow. And he has nice hair.

Pards, on the other hand - a man who has adopted a fake quasi transtlantic drawl that no doubt he figures makes him a hit with the laydees. That's smug.

1. Playing the minnow card with their budget is a bit rich. He may not have had control but he was fully aware of the resources he had at his disposal. They’ve had far more than Burnley as an example and achieved less.
2. Why is calling someone smug ‘outrage’? I don’t feel any outrage either.:shrug:
3. He may well be very nice.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

I share your feelings on this issue. I've never quite understood this sobriquet either and wondered if there had been something I had missed. Because of it I actually make a special effort whenever he is interviewed after a match to try and detect any hint of smugness but so far I have been unable to.

I wondered if it was just me to the extent where I even very recently considered starting a poll about it (you would have a actually liked that one) to the effect of 1.Do you actually think Eddie is smug by your own opinion; 2.Do you only believe Eddie is smug because that's what others have led you to believe; 3.I don't actually believe Eddie is smug but am happy to join in with and perpetuate that generally perceived notion; 4.I don't believe Eddie is smug and while not doing anything to perpetuate that perceived notion I prefer to keep my opinion to myself rather than publicly opposing the pervasive viewpoint. 5.I don't believe Eddie is smug and am happy to openly express that opinion.

I personally think there is an element of the "Emporer's new clothes" regarding the "Smug Eddie" thing and wonder if there is actually a significant majority who secretly think "what the hell is that all about?"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There's a vast difference between hatred and dislike.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There's a vast difference between hatred and dislike.

In theory, perhaps. It can also be a slippery slope. Here is one post from this thread (and this thread is tame compared with some threads in the past):

"I really dislike Bournemouth and their smug faced **** of a manager.
I would be very happy to see them get relegated and then continue to slide down the leagues."

I find the comments about his looks, his blue eyes, his hair (all of which are soft and the sort you might expect in a mensware department - suit you sir) to be a weird mix of homophobia, bullying and homoerotica, none of which appeal to me. But most of all, it just seems over the top and missplaced.

I am quite happy they are in the PL, especially if they turn into part of the ballast below us. Those hoping to see 'muff tumble out and down, be careful what you wish for. There are massive clubs like Leeds who will be less easy for us to rise above next season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In theory, perhaps. It can also be a slippery slope. Here is one post from this thread (and this thread is tame compared with some threads in the past):

"I really dislike Bournemouth and their smug faced **** of a manager.
I would be very happy to see them get relegated and then continue to slide down the leagues."

I find the comments about his looks, his blue eyes, his hair (all of which are soft and the sort you might expect in a mensware department - suit you sir) to be a weird mix of homophobia, bullying and homoerotica, none of which appeal to me. But most of all, it just seems over the top and missplaced.

I am quite happy they are in the PL, especially if they turn into part of the ballast below us. Those hoping to see 'muff tumble out and down, be careful what you wish for. There are massive clubs like Leeds who will be less easy for us to rise above next season.

'Blue eyed boy' is not necessarily about the colour of his eyes, but a comment on favouritism, especially by the media.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Won’t be long till local resident H.Redknapp comes into ‘assist’ them

Exactly what I’ve been thinking.

Sandbanks ‘Arry rocks up, telling the world this is the only job he’d ever be interested in, demanding £100m to spend in the transfer window and then claiming it will take his traditional “miracle” to stay up even though Bournemouth’s wage bill is roughly a mid table one in PL terms. Then they get relegated, he blames the players and disappears defiantly back behind Sandra’s orangery when the club accounts mysteriously show a massive deficit and administration beckons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Smug eddie

The fairytale which involved breaking FFP rules, and even managing to get their fine reduced. I remember some Cherry protesting on Nsc that they were operating perfectly legally when I questioned their spending, and it turned out they weren't.

I remember that too.

I will admit my dislike of Smug Eddie and Bournemouth is slightly irrational and might have something to do with living in Hampshire and being a bit closer to them.

But the general media do seem to have glossed over their financial cheating. I saw Jake Humphrey tweet something the other day about their story not being quite as much of a fairytale as believed and how high their net spend has been which was a first.

Also as Brighton fans, over the years we have definitely seen another side to his tactics that again is never commented on. His sides can be very dirty and cynical as well as being really lucky against us.

I always remember a game at Withdean around 2010 when Lua Lua scored for us and I think it ended a draw but they were horrible in that match and got really lucky. Then add in games like the Burnley one and the 2.2 at the Amex a couple of years when they absolutey stole the win from us and it all adds to the resentment!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Exactly what I’ve been thinking.

Sandbanks ‘Arry rocks up, telling the world this is the only job he’d ever be interested in, demanding £100m to spend in the transfer window and then claiming it will take his traditional “miracle” to stay up even though Bournemouth’s wage bill is roughly a mid table one in PL terms. Then they get relegated, he blames the players and disappears defiantly back behind Sandra’s orangery when the club accounts mysteriously show a massive deficit and administration beckons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sandra must feel a lot safer when he is away working, it means he doesn't run her over.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I remember that too.

I will admit my dislike of Smug Eddie and Bournemouth is slightly irrational and might have something to do with living in Hampshire and being a bit closer to them.

But the general media do seem to have glossed over their financial cheating. I saw Jake Humphrey tweet something the other day about their story not being quite as much of a fairytale as believed and how high their net spend has been which was a first.

Also as Brighton fans, over the years we have definitely seen another side to his tactics that again is never commented on. His sides can be very dirty and cynical as well as being really lucky against us.

I always remember a game at Withdean around 2010 when Lua Lua scored for us and I think it ended a draw but they were horrible in that match and got really lucky. Then add in games like the Burnley one and the 2.2 at the Amex a couple of years when they absolutey stole the win from us and it all adds to the resentment!

Steve Cook rubbed his genitalia, and signalled 3 fingers and a zero with his other hand behind his back to the north stand, followed by pointing downwards; ie going down, last season in the game they went on to win 5-0. He forgot all the training he had from Brighton before being sold to Bournemouth as he wasn't getting first team action. He came through the youth with Tommy Elphick.
Ungrateful wretch.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Steve Cook rubbed his genitalia, and signalled 3 fingers and a zero with his other hand behind his back to the north stand, followed by pointing downwards; ie going down, last season in the game they went on to win 5-0. He forgot all the training he had from Brighton before being sold to Bournemouth as he wasn't getting first team action. He came through the youth with Tommy Elphick.
Ungrateful wretch.

I'm surprised to hear that to be honest, and sad to see too, especially as he is still involved with Sussex football, putting money into, and doing some coaching at Hastings l believe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here