Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Sussex be reunited as one county?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You're the only one who's typed "RotR is in fact a genius top-secret government agent keeping us stupid with his bafflingly pointless and inane threads"
funny eh?

In response to his comment. Read his comment again. Context.

Posts like this are so stupid.

If it were to happen it's not as if people from east and west would run to eachother for a big hug, or anything at all would change.

Rename the county to bananas, split it into north and south, whatever - all that it would do is change a mental concept of something about a ficticious border that does not really exist.

Things like this are peddled to keep people distracted into things that have no affect upon anything.

YOU COULD BE A BARON,I'LL LET YOU HAVE THE LANDS BEYOND PEACEHAVEN ALL THE WAY TO SEAFORD,JUST GO WITH IT BROTHER:hilton:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
YOU COULD BE A BARON,I'LL LET YOU HAVE THE LANDS BEYOND PEACEHAVEN ALL THE WAY TO SEAFORD,JUST GO WITH IT BROTHER:hilton:
I can't make up my mind.

Do I want Frigia or Arboria?

I can either fly or get jiggy with a Princess, it's a tough call.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
when the Sussex revolution starts and the King Of Sussex is overthrown by the anti brigade where will we hold public executions?

Centre circle of the Amex, before home games, with Richard Reynolds(?)doing the commentary, to the tune of Oops up side your head.

Dandyman

In London village.
Having rummaged on t'internet I think Sussex was split into East and West for ecclesiastical purposes long before that..

Sounds right. The West always seems to be home to bells and smells, whereas the East was home to the Marian Martyrs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Having rummaged on t'internet I think Sussex was split into East and West for ecclesiastical purposes long before that. Perhaps we could grab Tunbridge Wells back and annexe Tenterden whilst we are at it, wasted on Kent. Perhaps Canterbury could move in a Monty Python "Crimson Pearl Assurance" sort of way as well, put it on top of Crawley.

What a stupid ill conceived idea. If you are going to the trouble of up rooting Canterbury, don't dump it on Crawley! Wouldn't it be better to actually swap them over?

1974, same as when haywards heath, Burgess Hill and East Grinstead moved over to West Sussex.
Not so. I think it was in 1894 that the boundary between Kent and East Sussex changed. But, even before that, most of Tunbridge Wells was in Kent.

The change in the boundary occurred because the Local Government Act 1894 stipulated that county boundaries and ecclesiastical parish boundaries should be aligned.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not so. I think it was in 1894 that the boundary between Kent and East Sussex changed. But, even before that, most of Tunbridge Wells was in Kent.

The change in the boundary occurred because the Local Government Act 1894 stipulated that county boundaries and ecclesiastical parish boundaries should be aligned.

Notters is right though as all the administrative boundaries were changed again in 74 when Humberside, Merseyside, Avon etc were created.
There seems to be disparity between geographical, ecclesiastical and administrative boundaries in this thread.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Posts like this are so stupid.

If it were to happen it's not as if people from east and west would run to eachother for a big hug, or anything at all would change.

Rename the county to bananas, split it into north and south, whatever - all that it would do is change a mental concept of something about a ficticious border that does not really exist.

Things like this are peddled to keep people distracted into things that have no affect upon anything.

While this sounds a bit angry, there are some good points - People here are way to obsessed with borders, fictitious or otherwise, it all seems very insular and introspective.

Notters is right though as all the administrative boundaries were changed again in 74 when Humberside, Merseyside, Avon etc were created.
There seems to be disparity between geographical, ecclesiastical and administrative boundaries in this thread.
There were certainly changes in 1974 that affected the boundary between East Sussex and West Sussex. Go to Burgess Hill library and admire the little plaque on the wall proclaiming that it was built by East Sussex County Council in the early seventies. It's now run by West Sussex County Council.

It was in 1974 that the County Borough of Brighton was abolished and "county functions" like Education, Social Services, Highways & Transportation, Libraries and the Fire Brigade transferred from Brighton to East Sussex County Council. They returned to Brighton in 1997, when Brighton & Hove Council was created.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I had to look that up. Thank goodness for wiki. How on earth to people cope on these forums before you could research stuff on the interweb?

Probably because before the interweb you didn't have forums like this! The keyboard in front of you would have been a bar and the others 'online' would actually have been standing in front of you, very possibly with a pint in hand. None of you would have checked your arguments the next day at the library!!!!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
The Amex is in East Sussex......King Solly March the local lad...'We're the East side we're the East side,East side Sussex boys..'..

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The Amex is in East Sussex......King Solly March the local lad...'We're the East side we're the East side,East side Sussex boys..'..

The Amex is in BN1. So it's in the City of Brighton & Hove.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here