Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Sussex be reunited as one county?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have just bounced the thread. Personal milestone; this your 50th?

That looks disgusting.

Yes the big 50 Saturday, Junior returns from Kansas for three weeks on Saturday so off to Middlesbrough with Mini :ohmy::rolleyes:

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
No let's keep west separate from east. And I'm not saying where I'm from ,, he he

Having been born is East Sussex but living in West...We enjoyed singing "East Sussex La La La" against the piss poor " west side"yokels at the Goldstone.
Let us re-unite the county,how can you seriously have a boundary in god's chosen county so badly drawn?
Everything in Sussex should be perfect but the East/West divide is illogically drawn.With a Coastal start point of Fishersgate/Southwick and a Big West Sussex bulge of Haywards Heath and a border at East Grimstead. How much of East Sussex have the yokels stolen?

Re-Unite Sussex now,Except Bognor (we should give that dump to Hampshit as a pikey Enclave a sort of Sebrenica by the sea.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Much as I like the East / West rivalry, yes it also appeals to formally revert to being one glorious County of Sussex. GOSBTS and all that.

The East / West thing is mainly for local government these days so I guess a change would only become a reality if there was a pressing desire from the population (?) and maybe if the politicians see it as a vote winner, but I suspect apathy on both counts.

Plus in the current (and future) financial climate it seems daft to have duplicate sets of local government and associated costs serving the two halves of Sussex. Local government budgets are being hammered and will only get worse, so surely makes sense to look for every opportunity to collaborate and work smarter. To do nothing is not acceptable.

However the costs of rebranding and restructuring are likely to account for any potential economies in the short / medium term. But maybe it should be seriously considered.

I also suspect there is too much vested political interest within each County and certainly resistance within the West half to an amalgamation with East. Then there is the complication of Brighton & Hove.

Even though I'm an exile these days it doesn't stop me telling people with pride that I'm from Sussex. I don't bother to mention which side, but of course East is best.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess we could go back to one county.

It would look odd on the map, having Hampshire, West Sussex then Kent.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Never mind unification of our county, lets have independence from the oppressive yoke of England. Sussexmen (and women) rise up and reclaim your ancient birthright!!!!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Before it was a County it was the ancient Kingdom of Sussexe.

So how about we declare UDI and break away from the rest of the UK (and the EEC for that matter?). Charge punters for crossing into our borders and using our airports and ports. The Amex could be our national stadium. Tony Bloom for King.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
The war of the poses.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Never mind unification of our county, lets have independence from the oppressive yoke of England. Sussexmen (and women) rise up and reclaim your ancient birthright!!!!
Always a good idea.

But I suggest we go the whole hog and tow WestSussexLand to the French Mediterranean.
Or drop anchor off the coast of Barbados.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

So how about we declare UDI and break away from the rest of the UK (and the EEC for that matter?). Charge punters for crossing into our borders and using our airports and ports. The Amex could be our national stadium. Tony Bloom for King.

We could also apply for overseas aid from Britain

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We've already got a Royal Palace and everything.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Us and Crawley, the only two teams in the Sussex Premier League. Think of the Sky money, £3 million for every msn women and child

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here