Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should Sussex be reunited as one county?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Sussex born Sussex bread strong in the arm and strong in the head. Some idiot would quote this to us in the office.Is it a Sussex Saying.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Sussex born Sussex bread strong in the arm and strong in the head. Some idiot would quote this to us in the office.Is it a Sussex Saying.

It's used for a lot of counties but it's usually weak in the head.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
So, bringing the county together in one big homogenous lump of cuddliness should require that we have a single county badge to unite behind. We surely can't lose the martlets so the only decision is the background colour to be adopted. To me the obvious choice would be to mix the red of the east with the blue of the west to get a scrummy lovely purple and maybe future away kits could adopt the colour to pay homage to the unification.

Or alternatively you could alternate stripes of each colour, except that might look a bit like a............so maybe not.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
...........oh and as for an independent Worthing, that's a sound idea.

Rather than rely on a flimsy border perhaps we could build a big wall around it to keep the inhabitants away from the rest of us.

...........oh and as for an independent Worthing, that's a sound idea.

Rather than rely on a flimsy border perhaps we could build a big wall around it to keep the inhabitants away from the rest of us.
The Worthing thing is central to my doubts about unifying Sussex. Once upon a time, when the Channel Tunnel was still at the planning stage, I got involved, through my work at East Sussex Council, with a lobbying campaign that was arguing the case for an International Station to be built at Ashford, and improved connecting train services to be introduced to run from Ashford to Sussex. ESCC backed this idea enthusiastically, because it would improve links between Paris, Brussels and Hastings, Eastbourne and Brighton.

We set up a meeting with West Sussex County Council (and Hampshire County Council) to try to persuade them to join the lobbying campaign. Hampshire were keen, because they could see the benefits in the same way that East Sussex did. But what was the West Sussex response? As I recall, it was the Conservative Leader of West Sussex County Council who put it very succinctly - "I don't think people in Worthing are very interested in travelling to Europe".

There we have it. East Sussex is internationally minded. West Sussex has a parochial, small town mentality. The two can never work together.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
GOSBTS
not east or west
should answer this question

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here