[Football] Sheffield Utd v Manchester City FA Cup Semi Final

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Not sure why people are moaning, VAR can’t categorically confirm a mistake has been made, so they step back. On field decision and we’re not sitting here for 5 mins waiting for something.
Eh??? After the second replay you can see he got the ball, taking a minute or two to properly look at a game defining decision in a semi final is exactly what VAR is for?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I would like to see it again and i may be wrong, but i thought that the Man City player possibly accidentally hand balled it just prior to the challenge then led to the penalty award (as the ball was dropping) and if it did hit his arm, shouldn't it have been ruled out (or does that only count if the striker then scores directly afterwards?)

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Eh??? After the second replay you can see he got the ball, taking a minute or two to properly look at a game defining decision in a semi final is exactly what VAR is for?
But their looking to see if the mistake is blatant, which it wasn’t, it was hard to work out and therefore on field decision.

I’m starting to get used to how VAR works now… not how we want it to work.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
In the studio ‘even if he does touch the ball in can still be a pen’ erm.. no. If it’s not dangerous and he plays the ball first it’s a tackle.. Brush over it as millions watching.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
But their looking to see if the mistake is blatant, which it wasn’t, it was hard to work out and therefore on field decision.

Did you work out how VAR worked at another recent game in London?😏

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Must be watching another game to me.

Don’t understand how people can defend VAR anymore, yet every week I see people defending it, they make it up as they go along, if a defender getting the ball isn’t a clear and obvious error what the hell is?

I was sure Akanji was offside from the ball in, conveniently not one replay of that.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Shame about the penalty. In the days before the rich club could change half its outfield players once United are knackered, we might have had a real game on our hands.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
When it happened in real time I thought penalty straight away, he lost his bearings and swung a leg. However it does look like he got the ball, so it has to be a clear and obvious error, so no penalty, surely that's what VAR is for?

As someone else said, we'd never have got that decision.
Reminded me of the March v Villa one completely. It’s / they’re so inconsistent aren’t they.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

So how come MacAllister's goal against Spurs was ruled out, because it's not at all clear that the ball touched his arm.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Must be watching another game to me.

Don’t understand how people can defend VAR anymore, yet every week I see people defending it, they make it up as they go along, if a defender getting the ball isn’t a clear and obvious error what the hell is?

I was sure Akanji was offside from the ball in, conveniently not one replay of that.
Not sure how saying that I see how VAR works, but not they way we want it to work is defending it in anyway…

I’m a cynic and I hate VAR, but I see how it can be manipulated into any dodgy decision. It’s shit. But it’s not going away, so n the end we will accept it… like it or not.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So how come MacAllister's goal against Spurs was ruled out, because it's not at all clear that the ball touched his arm.
And there you go @Muzzman - this is the point and he’s absolutely bang on there with that comparison… It’s designed to make sure the big clubs don't get a bad decision against them - by the ‘officials’ using it. Who now to Pep / Klopp etc in awe. 100%.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Estupinan’s offside at Palace is a better example. That was a blatant error by VAR. which is why VAR is toilet.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Defender has a swipe, ref has to give a penalty. No obvious error by ref so penalty stands. It wasn't offside on the build up.
There is no conspiracy
Yep. This conspiracy stuff is tiresome and immature. VAR is not meant to re ref the game. At first I thought it was a penalty. Then I changed my mind. Then I changed it again. All irrelevant. The on field ref gave his decision and in the absence of 100% proof against that’s what counts. Pretty much the same system as used in cricket. I don’t like VAR but not because it doesn’t make the decisions I think should be made. I’m not the ref.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Estupinan’s offside at Palace is a better example. That was a blatant error by VAR. which is why VAR is toilet.
Well obviously that was a mistake by the official and they've apologised. But they haven't apologised for the MacAllister goal, because they're claiming it was the correct decision. I assume then that you disagree with them?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
That's really annoying me, it'll prob be the same tomorrow & we could've filled those seats 6 times over. :(
Just switched on for the second half. Ground appears to be virtually empty. WTF?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports