Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney, out of order?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
As wrong as it was for him to say it, I actually think ITV have stitched him up here, they didn't have to broadcast the clip, it wasn't live.

Its almost like throwing a can of petrol on an already healthy fire, but will it mean that Fergie now won't talk to ITV as well as BBC?

D

Deleted member 2719

Its almost like throwing a can of petrol on an already healthy fire, but will it mean that Fergie now won't talk to ITV as well as BBC?

Oh yes please don't speak to ITV Fergie, thankfully i don't have sky!

As wrong as it was for him to say it, I actually think ITV have stitched him up here, they didn't have to broadcast the clip, it wasn't live.

Absolute rubbish, surely that is the media's job to highlight what they are covering in a way that reflects the reality. What next, do not show any part of the game that has a penalty we disagree with? Wayne Rooney earns more in a week than some of those fans that travelled out there do in 5 years so it IS there job to cover exactly what has happened on the pitch. Are you suggesting a media censorship to tailor our requirements, and as much as i despise the national newspapers and all of the drivel that comes from them they have a right to cover any story they feel fit is news worthy so ITV have a right to do that also even though they are pretty awful at sports coverage on a regular basis.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Absolute rubbish, surely that is the media's job to highlight what they are covering in a way that reflects the reality. What next, do not show any part of the game that has a penalty we disagree with? Wayne Rooney earns more in a week than some of those fans that travelled out there do in 5 years so it IS there job to cover exactly what has happened on the pitch. Are you suggesting a media censorship to tailor our requirements, and as much as i despise the national newspapers and all of the drivel that comes from them they have a right to cover any story they feel fit is news worthy so ITV have a right to do that also even though they are pretty awful at sports coverage on a regular basis.

But does hanging our best player out to dry really help us in our must win game on Wed?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
But does hanging our best player out to dry really help us in our must win game on Wed?

If he was thick enough to make such a remark while looking straight into a TV camera, the fault is his own.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
If he was thick enough to make such a remark while looking straight into a TV camera, the fault is his own.

Frutos I don't deny that he's at fault, but does what they've done really help our world cup campaign?

And this claim that the media has a duty to report, well we all know that there are certain figures who are almost a 'protected species' with sections of the media, who have had stories suppressed about them for years.

Best player, when has he been the best player in the last two games then? Rooney has hung himself i am afraid and he is fully aware of the impact a comment like that to camera following him off the pitch would have. You in your original comment blamed ITV for broadcasting the comment but if they didn't then someone else would of done so you are naive thinking that ITV were somehow irresponsible for showing it. If this is not a case of hanging yourself the i do not know what is. The players are all quick enough to run to a camera on the edge of a pitch for self gratification when they score inc Rooney so he knew damn well what coverage that comment would have. Send him home as far as i am concerned HOW DARE HE!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Their job is to broadcast what happened in an accurate manner, and they have done that.

Of course various things have been suppressed in the past, for which the media have attracted criticism, but now they're being criticised for not covering things up (which is what not showing this footage would have amounted to). Damned if they do and damned if they don't....

For all Rooney knew when he made the comment, the camera was broadcasting live anyway, so he surely would have known that what he said would end up in the public domain.

As for Rooney being England's best player, that may be true on paper but he's done little in our first two games to make me think he deserves a place on Wednesday anyway.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Best player, when has he been the best player in the last two games then? Rooney has hung himself i am afraid and he is fully aware of the impact a comment like that to camera following him off the pitch would have. You in your original comment blamed ITV for broadcasting the comment but if they didn't then someone else would of done so you are naive thinking that ITV were somehow irresponsible for showing it. If this is not a case of hanging yourself the i do not know what is. The players are all quick enough to run to a camera on the edge of a pitch for self gratification when they score inc Rooney so he knew damn well what coverage that comment would have. Send him home as far as i am concerned HOW DARE HE!

Simple question.

Can we win on Wed without him?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Their job is to broadcast what happened in an accurate manner, and they have done that.

Of course various things have been suppressed in the past, for which the media have attracted criticism, but now they're being criticised for not covering things up (which is what not showing this footage would have amounted to). Damned if they do and damned if they don't....

For all Rooney knew when he made the comment, the camera was broadcasting live anyway, so he surely would have known that what he said would end up in the public domain.

As for Rooney being England's best player, that may be true on paper but he's done little in our first two games to make me think he deserves a place on Wednesday anyway.

To be fair, for all his fame and fortune he's probably not the sharpest tool in the box is he?

I really do not see how that is relevent as the whole team has been very very poor. We have not won with him either have we? He is not the brightest no, but he was bright enough to know what he said would be broadcast all over the world. Lets not make excuses for an idiot. Capello started his reign with the discipline and form players sweeping statements and has followed neither of them through. I said on another thread previous to this game we may as well have taken Lambert and Beckford and i stand by that and after Rooney's comments(discipline?) i genuinely feel he should not be picked for england again in this tournament

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You'd have loved a soundbite like that from an Albion player when you were doing the phone in and you'd have milked it, come on admit it :lolol:

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
Some of the posters on here need to actually think about what is going on through all the players heads at the moment. Sod the argument of "they earn more in a week than most people do in 5 years". That carries no weight as far i'm concerned.

Just think about it.

You are one of the best players in the world playing in the best league in the world doing rather well most weeks. You then have the opportunity to play in the greatest competition in world. The build up is immense. You've dreamt of it as a kid and now your the one the country is looking at to bring home the glory. You get drawn in an "easy" group that you should top easily.

Then what happens. It all turns to shit. For what reason, I don't know. The manager? The formation? The fitness levels? The strategy of the other team?

Of course we as fans are all livid, but I think none of us can be more frustrated than the players. They know what they are capable of week in week out at home and they are not even producing half that in the world up. No matter what money they are on at home.

They must feel like shit.

I'm not saying that Rooney was cool to do that but how many times have we all done stuff "in the heat of the moment" and regretted it afterwards. Probably the majority.

Lets just get behind the team for the last game and see what happens. If we get through, which i'm sure we will, we'll have to endure another game with tightly crossed fingers but if not, well, the new season starts soon and i'm sure have a few more signings next week to keep some, (i'm sure not all), of us happy.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I guess I am alone in thinking this has been blown out of all proportion. I'm sure he was absolutely distraught at the booing and blurted out a spur of the moment comment. I think it's tine to get over it, try and get behind them for the Slovenia game. Then again if they don't win that, then it should be open season on the lot of them.

Some of the posters on here need to actually think about what is going on through all the players heads at the moment. Sod the argument of "they earn more in a week than most people do in 5 years". That carries no weight as far i'm concerned.

Just think about it.

You are one of the best players in the world playing in the best league in the world doing rather well most weeks. You then have the opportunity to play in the greatest competition in world. The build up is immense. You've dreamt of it as a kid and now your the one the country is looking at to bring home the glory. You get drawn in an "easy" group that you should top easily.

Then what happens. It all turns to shit. For what reason, I don't know. The manager? The formation? The fitness levels? The strategy of the other team?

Of course we as fans are all livid, but I think none of us can be more frustrated than the players. They know what they are capable of week in week out at home and they are not even producing half that in the world up. No matter what money they are on at home.

They must feel like shit.

I'm not saying that Rooney was cool to do that but how many times have we all done stuff "in the heat of the moment" and regretted it afterwards. Probably the majority.

Lets just get behind the team for the last game and see what happens. If we get through, which i'm sure we will, we'll have to endure another game with tightly crossed fingers but if not, well, the new season starts soon and i'm sure have a few more signings next week to keep some, (i'm sure not all), of us happy.

Whilst some of your points are valid, The money he earns equal to the performance he puts in carries alot of weight. Every player probably gets booed as part of a team in his career but he is earning that money and putting on that shirt and living a life of luxury in front of people that have spent four yrs saving to go to the tournament so that childish nonsense was uncalled for, remember, the fans went out there to SUPPORT them, not to boo, but the performance deserved it. With money comes responsibility so if he cannot keep a cool head under pressure then that is probably why we will never win the world cup with spoilt brats like him

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Mummy mummy some boys we being nasty to me. Pathetic Rooney. Take it like a man, you were shit, utter utter shit. You got boo'd because you were shit. The fans are more loyal than you lot as they give a shit.

Sack the lot of them now.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In the heat of the moment, after playing really poorly with the weight of the nation on his shoulders, it's dissapointing but understandable.

Is the correct answer.

He is just walking off the pitch and has a camera thrust in his face. I suspect he is more frustrated with his own performance than anyone else. No doubt he regrets his knee jerk reaction but then look at some of the dumb comments on here and in particular the 'knee jerk' reaction to the Calderon situation and how many now have egg on their face.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Football fans as paying punters hae the right to boo & cheer whoever & whenever they want.
If i'd paid out the £2000 Thomas Cook was charging & ended up enduring that shower of shit i'd have booed too.
As for Rooney he's just not actually as good as everyone says he is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here