Replay tickets free to S/T holders and members

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Agreed great idea.

It'll probably be more like 250 who go using a free ticket, at £15 a head, so £4k ish. I'd expect around 300 in the Albion end, a few of whom being those Non STH's living in the North who just pay the £15.

Except they wont be losing £4k as they will be getting it back through their share of the ticket sales and TV money of course.....possibly prize money too. Good offer from the outside, but when you think it through, its not as good as it sounds.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
:laugh:
There'll be a maximum of 150 and that's being very generous. We took 230 two seasons ago midweek and that fixture was known well in advance.

Bit harsh and doesn't tell the whole story. That game at Hull was on a freezing sub zero night and only 4 days after we took 6,000 to Anfield for a 6-1 pasting in the Cup.

Anything around 400 or 500 this time will be very respectable.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Except they wont be losing £4k as they will be getting it back through their share of the ticket sales and TV money of course.....possibly prize money too. Good offer from the outside, but when you think it through, its not as good as it sounds.

Well, the club will make £4k (or whatever) less than they would have made had they not made the offer. They could have just kept all the money they make from the replay. Instead, they're giving some of it back to the fans.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Well, the club will make £4k (or whatever) less than they would have made had they not made the offer. They could have just kept all the money they make from the replay. Instead, they're giving some of it back to the fans.

As e-cash, which i believe you cant take off the card either - so either way the club will be getting the £15 back. Clever move by the club, good PR and possibly good intentions - but it really isnt that good as many cant get there, had it of been reduced/free travel - then a lot more would be going.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
As e-cash, which i believe you cant take off the card either - so either way the club will be getting the £15 back. Yes, they will get it back, but only in return for goods/services to the value of. A few beers/pies for example. One way or another the fans who take the offer up are getting £15 worth of stuff that they wouldn't otherwise get Clever move by the club, good PR and possibly good intentions - but it really isnt that good as many cant get there, had it of been reduced/free travel - then a lot more would be going. I'm not sure what I'm missing here. If the cost of a ticket and travel was £15 plus, say, £40 = £55, and the club deduct £15 from the cost of the trip, why does it matter if it comes off the price of the ticket or is used to subsidise transport? I'm not being funny - I don't understand the point you're making

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Yes, but the point remains, they are getting the money back. The service/goods you will be getting in return are a lot less than £15, so they are paying out barely anything. Fans will still be paying out £15 regardless. The point im making is that its all well and good offering free travel - but since barely any of out STHs can actually get there, on short notice, on a Monday night because travel is so poor. Sunderland organised loads of free coaches to take their fans to Man United in the COC Semis (ignore the innuendo there), as a result they sold out and took 9,000. Had the club organised free travel, then we would have taken double what we shall be. Since the coaches (if organised) will cost £30+, which is an inflated price to be fair, it would have been better for free/reduced travel.

Dont get me wrong, its a good gesture on the face of it, but it is a hollow one.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes, but the point remains, they are getting the money back. The service/goods you will be getting in return are a lot less than £15, so they are paying out barely anything. Fans will still be paying out £15 regardless. The point im making is that its all well and good offering free travel - but since barely any of out STHs can actually get there, on short notice, on a Monday night because travel is so poor. Sunderland organised loads of free coaches to take their fans to Man United in the COC Semis (ignore the innuendo there), as a result they sold out and took 9,000. Had the club organised free travel, then we would have taken double what we shall be. Since the coaches (if organised) will cost £30+, which is an inflated price to be fair, it would have been better for free/reduced travel.

Dont get me wrong, its a good gesture on the face of it, but it is a hollow one.

The club will be getting the £15 back...what you think if they gave each person £15 back in cash they wouldn't get that back at some point!?

It's £15 off the trip whichever way you want to look at it whether it's off the travel or off the ticket. It's only hollow if you want to be cynical about it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

OK - I see. They get the gross profit margin back on the goods/services that you buy with the e-cash credit, you mean? Yes, they do. So the true cost to the club is not £15/ fan who goes, but only, say, £7 (or whatever)?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I have a free travel travel voucher that I won from a hat trick ticket a while ago. If Seagulls travel do run some coaches then that would be handy indeed.

*i tried to book on for Blackburn but they wouldn't accept it so "free travel to any Albion fixture (home or away)" isn't strictly true is it. Not that it matters now as that game will be moved.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The club will be getting the £15 back...what you think if they gave each person £15 back in cash they wouldn't get that back at some point!?

It's £15 off the trip whichever way you want to look at it whether it's off the travel or off the ticket. It's only hollow if you want to be cynical about it.

Not being cynical, as i said it is a good gesture, Id rather they did this than nothing of course. BUT the money will ultimately be going back to the club anyway.

Yes, it is £15 off, but the wording used by the club isnt the greatest and the way the club are doing it is pretty clever. Also highlights why maybe you should be able to take money off your e-cash account, of course that wouldnt happen though.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I would say calling it a hollow gesture is a tad harsh (even if it is hardly the most generous one). Considering the short notice I'll just take this at face value and accept it as a nice gesture. It was certainly unexpected, and given the cost of the ticket hardly that necessary.

It does however show me that the club want people to go to give the team some backing, which I am more than happy to do.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I would say calling it a hollow gesture is a tad harsh (even if it is hardly the most generous one). Considering the short notice I'll just take this at face value and accept it as a nice gesture. It was certainly unexpected, and given the cost of the ticket hardly that necessary.

It does however show me that the club want people to go to give the team some backing, which I am more than happy to do.

He's right though, free travel would have allowed people to go who wouldn't previously, this is just a nice bonus for the small number of people who are able to go.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not being cynical, as i said it is a good gesture, Id rather they did this than nothing of course. BUT the money will ultimately be going back to the club anyway.

Yes, it is £15 off, but the wording used by the club isnt the greatest and the way the club are doing it is pretty clever. Also highlights why maybe you should be able to take money off your e-cash account, of course that wouldnt happen though.

I still don't really get what you're saying. The club would get £15 per ticket if they didn't do this. The £15 that each person gets back they would no doubt spend anyway at some point, regardless of whether their ticket is free. So even though the e-cash is spent within the club, it's likely every adult would spend £15 at the club anyway (unless going away to Hull is your last ever game!), so the club are losing out. You're just looking at it in a very odd way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports