Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rangers will play in England within 5 years says Ibrox chief

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Terrific idea. Thousands of Celtic turning up at Stamford Bridge or the Den singing IRA songs is just what English football needs (not saying that Rangers fans aren't any more bigoted but their political standpoint wouldn't necessarily distance them from certain elements who still cling on to their old traditions within the English game).

It's a no from me- if nothing else because this isn't about football, it's all about Rangers & Celtic wanting more money for themselves. Why should the English game prop them up?

No thanks.

why just stamford bridge or the den Edna. This would happen most places they went in England.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm sure that lower down the pyramid they might get voted in as clubs would see the pound signs. But I wonder whether, when they factor in travel costs and the bigger police presence required, it will be as lucrative as those clubs think it would be.

im not convinced there will be much pound signs in the first place. you might get a crowd to an FA cup game when a top team turns out, with at least half the first team and even the second string being known internationals etc. but who's going to make a big fuss with Rangers fielding a team of overpaid players from around the same level? has there spin in Scottish thrid led to substantially higher gates at each away game, at least its a big Scottish team for them?
EDIT, looked it up actully seems to be putting around 3-4000 bums on seats having Rangers at home, from 3-400 averages.

Last edited:

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Absolutely this. Just because Rangers don't fancy grubbing their way back up through the Scottish lower leagues, they shouldn't be allowed to choose the chance of richer pickings in someone else's league. They need to sort their own problems out. Same principle would apply to Celtic too. If the Auld Firm clubs are allowed to jump ship that would surely consign the rest of Scottish footie to an even worse fate.

Plus I fear it would be open season for the less gifted bigoted types around footie both north and south of the border to use a bit of sectarianism to create unwanted problems in England. Millwall v Celtic anyone?

Anyway the current Rangers side would struggle in the Championship so there's no guarantee they would get within a sniff of the Premiership pot of gold.

The current Rangers team would struggle to make an impact in League 2. Celtic could compete in the Championship right now. As I said previously both these sides, if they did join the English league, would become big hitters in the Prem once established and I wouldn't have a problem with either side playing English football.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
why just stamford bridge or the den Edna. This would happen most places they went in England.

Really? A Celtic or Rangers mass brawl at a different ground every week? I think there'd be initial teething problems but apart from small pockets of trouble I really don't think there'd be major problems. Scottish fans are generally highly praised in European an world football. Think they'd be good for the English game once the hype died down

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Bluddy ridiculous idea taking it to the next conclusion does this mean Liverpool can play in the Irish League, we can play in the French league, Newcastle play in the Dutch league etc where do you draw the line it could turn into a complete circus (more than now). If you are English you play in the English league and if you are Scottish you play in a crap league they need to try and sort out the football in Scotland instead of looking over the fence like the envious spoilt brats they are.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Really? A Celtic or Rangers mass brawl at a different ground every week? I think there'd be initial teething problems but apart from small pockets of trouble I really don't think there'd be major problems. Scottish fans are generally highly praised in European an world football. Think they'd be good for the English game once the hype died down

Surely you jest? Try telling the people of Manchester that Scottish fans are well behaved.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You wonder how many fans Rangers are losing by declaring their intention to play in England. Potentially, this could be good for smaller clubs who have always lost local support to the big two. This is an opportunity for the likes of Partick Thistle.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Surely you jest? Try telling the people of Manchester that Scottish fans are well behaved.

There's your one off. That was bad what happened in Manchester but do Scottish fans generally come with a bad reputation. I'd say our English reputation was worse. Football's moved on & so has technology. You can't do anything without a camera being trained on you these days. There'd probably be fights but if anything pre arranged and elsewhere. I still wouldn't have a problem with Rangers and Celtic playing down here.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The current Rangers team would struggle to make an impact in League 2. Celtic could compete in the Championship right now. As I said previously both these sides, if they did join the English league, would become big hitters in the Prem once established and I wouldn't have a problem with either side playing English football.
Celtic went as far as any EPL team this year in the champions league including beating Barcelona, which would suggest they could compete in the EPL at the moment, despite little TV money.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
Celtic went as far as any EPL team this year in the champions league including beating Barcelona, which would suggest they could compete in the EPL at the moment, despite little TV money.

Possibly so. Got their tactics spot on for that one. They've also lost to Kilmarnock & Ross County which wasn't so clever. Celtics global following is up there with the big teams in the game. If they were in the Prem they'd be turning over some serious money & would be attracting far bigger players than Samaras & Charlie MaGrew.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Possibly so. Got their tactics spot on for that one. They've also lost to Kilmarnock & Ross County which wasn't so clever. Celtics global following is up there with the big teams in the game. If they were in the Prem they'd be turning over some serious money & would be attracting far bigger players than Samaras & Charlie MaGrew.
Very true, those losses though i suspect were due to a lack of motivation due to the league being already a formality.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think there'd be initial teething problems but apart from small pockets of trouble I really don't think there'd be major problems. Scottish fans are generally highly praised in European an world football.

One of the biggest myths in football. It's all media bullshit, if they were in england it would kick off every week. It wouldn't just be their fault, the English hoolies would definitely go looking for it in glasgow and they probably wouldn't need to look very hard!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

where has anyone mentioned mass brawls? - ednas post was about them singing provocative songs, but she decided to highlight two grounds that she thinks it may be more inflammatory, and its a bit dated and hackneyed, in my opinion.

you have taken this one step further than the original exchange, for no real reason, and implied i meant there would be mass offs every week. no one says that. my point is that if celtic start overplaying the republican card at pretty much most grounds and it will be inflammatory, rather than simply one or two tabloid bogeymen. singing pro IRA songs will be met with a heated response at pretty every English club to degrees. imagine if they played ****ing little aldershot.

why write "really? A celtic or rangers mass brawl at a different ground every week?" when that hasnt been claimed. it appears to be designed to heat up the exchange. so there you go, proving anyone is capable of that, not just rangers, celtic, chelsea or millwall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here