Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rangers will play in England within 5 years says Ibrox chief

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Yep, I suppose that's why they're only 21 points clear at the top with 8 games to play.

What's that got to do with them drawing at home to Stirling or losing at home to Annan Athletic? You're not even talking pub teams you're talking pub reserve teams besting Rangers on their own ground in front of 40k+ of their fans.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
They should have to pay for all teams transport costs, otherwise can't see a problem with it as long as they start from non league football.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
independence wont make any difference to his claim, he's suggesting using the freedom of people, capital, business etc between EU nations. it might even strengthen his case as it would be between nations, where as right now its an internal UK only matter so the EU law might not apply. as pointed out above, if they did use this, be interesting how many other Scottish clubs would move with them. it follows how it might effect other national leagues, with top teams wanting to join bigger neighbours leagues. does this lead to European Super league within a couple of years?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It would be one game each, that's all. They'd get promoted every year, so no club would play them twice (except any clubs being promoted with them, and the reverse of the coin is that they'd never play those that were relegated as they were promoted).

True, but in the lower stages of non-League surely a % of any 30-50K gate would still be a massive boost even if it is only once.

In all likelihood Rangers would march through the Leagues with relative ease but out of interest (and this isn't necessarily a question for you Trigaaar) how would the registrations work for players? If a player is a Rangers player when they move, then their registration is with the Scottish FA surely it can't be as simple as transferring all registrations to another FA can it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
independence wont make any difference to his claim, he's suggesting using the freedom of people, capital, business etc between EU nations.
That wouldn't make sense, as if that was right then any French, Spanish, Italian, Greek (etc) team could play in any league (and Newcastle could enter a team in the Sussex cup, etc etc). It is possible to have clubs that choose entrants based on their location.

it might even strengthen his case as it would be between nations
It wouldn't, because Scotland wouldn't be in the EU.
it follows how it might effect other national leagues, with top teams wanting to join bigger neighbours leagues. does this lead to European Super league within a couple of years?
I think it just points out the errors in your thinking.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't see how EU legislation would force The Football League into admitting Rangers into its competition, thereby going against the agreement to be for professional clubs in England and Wales.

I also see that Berwick Rangers joined the SFA for practical reasons due to the ability and willingness of English teams to make the journey to Berwick, and that happened well over 100 years ago.

The only way I could see Rangers playing professionally in England / Wales is if the Championship broke away from the FL and then invited Rangers in. However, there seems little point in that if their stay might only be one season and then promotion. It will all be a moot point if Scotland votes for independence anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That wouldn't make sense, as if that was right then any French, Spanish, Italian, Greek (etc) team could play in any league (and Newcastle could enter a team in the Sussex cup, etc etc). It is possible to have clubs that choose entrants based on their location.

i agree, just highlighting what his angle is. he makes the comparison to Bosman and claiming restraint of trade. under EU law you are allowed to trade in any other EU country, so his arguement is that Rangers FC should be allowed to trade in England. as i say, its flawed as thats still the UK so probably wouldnt be covered by EU law. it is of course different to Bosman because that concerned employment law once a contract was finished.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Rangers can trade in England. They can sell tickets, and TV rights, if anyone actually wants to watch them. There is no right that states any EU football club can play in any other EU football league.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
If this was to happen, I would expect every Police Force in England to be holding their own protest if past examples of the Old Firm playing down here are anything to go by and we pay one way or the other for the cost of policing.

levski seagull

Jul 7, 2003
brighton
rangers and celtic are both as deluded as eachother, we don't need them but they think we would bend over backwards to have them in england. They are both fantastic clubs with illustruious histories but they are SCOTTISH!! Ajax are dutch, Benfica are portugese, they should concentrate their efforts into coaching young scottish kids so they can play in a good quality competitive scottish league instead of crying all the time.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I see Green is under the illusion that Rangers will bring more fans and therefore fill stadiums up like they do in Scotland and be an attraction. What he perhaps does not realise is that many stadiums in the English league have fixed numbers of seats they offer to away fans, therefore if Rangers were laying at the Amex they would get no more tickets than visiting Hull, Middlesbrough or Nottingham Forest fans, which kind of undermines his argument.

Ranger nor Celtic will never get parachuted into the English leagues as that requires a vote in both Premiership, where they would need a two thirds majority which they would never get as two thirds of the premiership are often fighting relegation and would not be willing to give up two extra places. Likewise the football league would also require a similar voting pattern with similar results.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good point about the Portuguese league. The teams in 6th-10th position averaged less than 5,000 fans per home game. They have 3 big teams instead of 2, then a Heart / Hibs-type situation in 4th and 5th. Portugal always seem to have teams that make the Q/Fs of international tournaments, but there's never a song and dance about 'overachieving' like when Celtic or Rangers make the same stage.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
“Could you imagine the income generation Rangers and Celtic would create in the Conference? Every Conference stadium would be full. And then to work through the leagues over the next three or four years would refresh English football because this staleness that is affecting Scottish football is prevalent here.”

Hmmm, they appear to think they're good enough to win the Conference?

Apr 14, 2012
they'd add to english football, get them in asap, huge crowds, amazing atmospheres, i reckon they'd struggle to get out of the championship though, toughest league in world imo

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
You can understand why they would like to join the English leagues. It has been a 2 horse race for about 30 years ? and now a 1 horse race with Rangers meltdown. Basicly the 2 Glasgow clubs have outgrown Scottish football. If they were allowed in England it would make the SPL more competitive. With 3 Welsh clubs playing in England, it's difficult to argue against it unless for selfish reasons, probably be bad in the long run for clubs like Brighton who aspire to getting in the premier league. No doubt they could eventually be challenging in the top 6 clubs in the country with their crowds and EPL money.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
they'd add to english football, get them in asap, huge crowds, amazing atmospheres, i reckon they'd struggle to get out of the championship though, toughest league in world imo

I agree. I think both clubs would bring positives into the English game. Start em in the conference or League 2 & the only part I disagree with is the Championship being their ceiling. They'd both be in the Prem eventually if not very quickly. Both massive clubs especially Celtic & with the money from attendances, sponsorships, merchandise & from our very own Premier league Celtic & Rangers would thrive. This may put the cat amongst the pigeons with staunch anti Scots in our League brigade but I'm positive it'd enhance the English League or Premier League further & make for some cracking games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here