Rangers will play in England within 5 years says Ibrox chief

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apr 14, 2012
I agree. I think both clubs would bring positives into the English game. Start em in the conference or League 2 & the only part I disagree with is the Championship being their ceiling. They'd both be in the Prem eventually if not very quickly. Both massive clubs especially Celtic & with the money from attendances, sponsorships, merchandise & from our very own Premier league Celtic & Rangers would thrive. This may put the cat amongst the pigeons with staunch anti Scots in our League brigade but I'm positive it'd enhance the English League or Premier League further & make for some cracking games.

yeah exactly, i hate the way everyone is so against it, they're both massive, they'd be involved in unbelievable games, i'd say get them in asap

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Brighton and Celtic are my favourite 2 clubs. Be great to watch a match between these two at the Amex.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Terrific idea. Thousands of Celtic turning up at Stamford Bridge or the Den singing IRA songs is just what English football needs (not saying that Rangers fans aren't any more bigoted but their political standpoint wouldn't necessarily distance them from certain elements who still cling on to their old traditions within the English game).

It's a no from me- if nothing else because this isn't about football, it's all about Rangers & Celtic wanting more money for themselves. Why should the English game prop them up?

No thanks.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
People slagging off Scotland can do one. It's a stunningly beautiful place; but rangers and Celtic can do one too. I'd LOVE it, however, if the Scottish and English fa cups and league cups combined. There would be some cracking away matches.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
People slagging off Scotland can do one. It's a stunningly beautiful place; but rangers and Celtic can do one too. I'd LOVE it, however, if the Scottish and English fa cups and league cups combined. There would be some cracking away matches.
That would be a good idea, as the FA CUP is not as big as it used to be, it could give it a boost.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Nae Bother, when wee Alex Salmond achieves independence in the next year or so they will pull up the Mcdrawbridge.......

Sooner the better . Pity we can,t vote for independence from the scots.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It wouldn't, because Scotland wouldn't be in the EU.

Not that it will come to it as I agree with you that the vote will be a no but what makes you think an independent Scotland would not be an EU member ? The Scottish government have made clear they plan to be a member and the EU have already been in discussions with them on how that would happen. They even plan to join the Eurozone !!!!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
[/B]

cardiff, swansea, wrexham?

Berwick play in scotland.

So why not.

Not sure about the reasons for Berwick, but there wasn't a Welsh Football League in operation when Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham formed so they joined the nearest available league setup.

That isn't the situation for Rangers and Celtic.

Oct 25, 2003
You can understand why they would like to join the English leagues. It has been a 2 horse race for about 30 years ? and now a 1 horse race with Rangers meltdown. Basicly the 2 Glasgow clubs have outgrown Scottish football. If they were allowed in England it would make the SPL more competitive. With 3 Welsh clubs playing in England, it's difficult to argue against it unless for selfish reasons, probably be bad in the long run for clubs like Brighton who aspire to getting in the premier league. No doubt they could eventually be challenging in the top 6 clubs in the country with their crowds and EPL money.

There are SIX welsh teams playing in england

Oct 25, 2003
Don't think the two should join the english pyramid...they're scottish sides and while the spl will be more
competitive, it'll be put further back into the dark ages, which isnt really fair. If you're going to have some scottish
Sides, have them all...and welsh and northern irish, which would lead to a UK FA....ie oone national team....not going
to happen

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Re: Rangers will play in England within 5 years says Ibrox tool

Seriously they should sad off.

Just play in Scottish competitions, and European ones when they qualify.

Or we should have a proper Euro league.

The English football league is NOTHING to do with them, they just want to grab some of our TV money.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Not that it will come to it as I agree with you that the vote will be a no but what makes you think an independent Scotland would not be an EU member ? The Scottish government have made clear they plan to be a member and the EU have already been in discussions with them on how that would happen. They even plan to join the Eurozone !!!!

If they gain independence they will have to re-enter the EU, this is what no Scottish politician campaigning for independence wants to talk about, and to do this they will need consent from every existing member state.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I can't see why they should be allowed to start in the Conference, even assuming they were allowed in at all. Why should a foreign club be granted a more privileged status than, for example, Chester, Halifax or Bradford Park Avenue, all former league clubs (or clubs who came out of the ashes of former league clubs) with a long tradition in the English game, trying to get back into the league? Are we to value the history and tradition of a foreign club more highly than those of our own?

If they were sent an invitation to the Premier League they'd turn it down? How very bloody gracious of them.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Terrific idea. Thousands of Celtic turning up at Stamford Bridge or the Den singing IRA songs is just what English football needs (not saying that Rangers fans aren't any more bigoted but their political standpoint wouldn't necessarily distance them from certain elements who still cling on to their old traditions within the English game).

It's a no from me- if nothing else because this isn't about football, it's all about Rangers & Celtic wanting more money for themselves. Why should the English game prop them up?

No thanks.

Absolutely this. Just because Rangers don't fancy grubbing their way back up through the Scottish lower leagues, they shouldn't be allowed to choose the chance of richer pickings in someone else's league. They need to sort their own problems out. Same principle would apply to Celtic too. If the Auld Firm clubs are allowed to jump ship that would surely consign the rest of Scottish footie to an even worse fate.

Plus I fear it would be open season for the less gifted bigoted types around footie both north and south of the border to use a bit of sectarianism to create unwanted problems in England. Millwall v Celtic anyone?

Anyway the current Rangers side would struggle in the Championship so there's no guarantee they would get within a sniff of the Premiership pot of gold.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There are SIX welsh teams playing in england

Think your counting is a bit astray there.

Swansea in the PL; Cardiff in the Champ; Wrexham and Newport in the Conference and Merthyr Town in the Southern League. Don't know where you find the sixth from.

Surely, the point of Rangers and Celtic playing in any league is they have to be voted in. I can't see clubs in the Conference voting for them to join thus depriving two established clubs their chance of League membership.

I'm sure that lower down the pyramid they might get voted in as clubs would see the pound signs. But I wonder whether, when they factor in travel costs and the bigger police presence required, it will be as lucrative as those clubs think it would be.

Oct 25, 2003
Think your counting is a bit astray there.

Swansea in the PL; Cardiff in the Champ; Wrexham and Newport in the Conference and Merthyr Town in the Southern League. Don't know where you find the sixth from.

Surely, the point of Rangers and Celtic playing in any league is they have to be voted in. I can't see clubs in the Conference voting for them to join thus depriving two established clubs their chance of League membership.

I'm sure that lower down the pyramid they might get voted in as clubs would see the pound signs. But I wonder whether, when they factor in travel costs and the bigger police presence required, it will be as lucrative as those clubs think it would be.

Colwyn bay, conference north

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports