Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the cricket umpires

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Neither of them would be out unless the fielding side appeal with a good hearty "how's that, I say?".

Then obviously it would be batsman A.

By the letter of the laws of cricket you are only out if the fielding side appeal correctly, even if clean bowled.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Neither of them would be out unless the fielding side appeal with a good hearty "how's that, I say?".

By the letter of the laws of cricket you are only out if the fielding side appeal correctly, even if clean bowled.

It is accepted that there is no 'correctly'. Any recognition that you think you have a wicket is sufficient, e.g. a raised arm, a cheer etc etc.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I remember as a YOUTH I was bowling in some cricket competition or other. I bowled a slightly short, slow ball (i.e. an awful delivery) and the batsman pulled it. As he did, I was CERTAIN I heard two sounds on the willow.

As I wandered back past the umpire for my next delivery, I said to him; "You know, I think he hit it twice...". The umpire replied: "He did, if you'd appealed I would've given him out."

TRUE STORY.

So remember kids, ALWAYS APPEAL.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Depends if the bowler dislodged the bail in his delivery stride, in which case its a dead ball

That wasn't the question. He said if it were a NO ball.

It is a NO BALL.

24.6. Bowler breaking wicket in delivering ball

Either umpire shall call and signal No ball if, other than in an attempt to run out the non-striker under Law 42.15, the bowler breaks the wicket at any time after the ball comes into play and before he completes the stride after the delivery stride. See Appendix D. Laws 23.4(b)(viii), 23.4(b)(ix) and 10 below will apply.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It is accepted that there is no 'correctly'. Any recognition that you think you have a wicket is sufficient, e.g. a raised arm, a cheer etc etc.

LAW 27 (APPEALS)

1. Umpire not to give batsman out without an appeal

Neither umpire shall give a batsman out, even though he may be out under the Laws, unless appealed to by a fielder. This shall not debar a batsman who is out under any of the Laws from leaving his wicket without an appeal having been made. Note, however, the provisions of 7 below.

2. Batsman dismissed

A batsman is dismissed if,

either (a) he is given out by an umpire, on appeal,

or (b) he is out under any of the Laws and leaves his wicket as in 1 above.

3. Timing of appeals

For an appeal to be valid, it must be made before the bowler begins his run up or, if he has no run up, his bowling action to deliver the next ball, and before Time has been called.
The call of Over does not invalidate an appeal made prior to the start of the following over, provided Time has not been called. See Laws 16.2 (Call of Time) and 22.2 (Start of an over).

4. Appeal "How’s That?"

An appeal "How’s That?" covers all ways of being out.

5. Answering appeals

The striker’s end umpire shall answer all appeals arising out of any of Laws 35 (Hit wicket), 39 (Stumped) or 38 (Run out) when this occurs at the wicket-keeper’s end. The bowler’s end umpire shall answer all other appeals.
When an appeal is made, each umpire shall answer on any matter that falls within his jurisdiction.
When a batsman has been given Not out, either umpire may answer an appeal, made in accordance with 3 above, if it is on a further matter and is within his jurisdiction.

6. Consultation by umpires

Each umpire shall answer appeals on matters within his own jurisdiction. If an umpire is doubtful about any point that the other umpire may have been in a better position to see, he shall consult the latter on this point of fact and shall then give the decision. If, after consultation, there is still doubt remaining, the decision shall be Not out.

7. Batsman leaving his wicket under a misapprehension

An umpire shall intervene if satisfied that a batsman, not having been given out, has left his wicket under a misapprehension that he is out. The umpire intervening shall call and signal Dead ball to prevent any further action by the fielding side and shall recall the batsman.

8. Withdrawal of an appeal

The captain of the fielding side may withdraw an appeal only if he obtains the consent of the umpire within whose jurisdiction the appeal falls. He must do so before the outgoing batsman has left the field of play. If such consent is given, the umpire concerned shall, if applicable, revoke his decision and recall the batsman.

9. Umpire’s decision

An umpire may alter his decision provided that such alteration is made promptly. This apart, an umpire’s decision, once made, is final.

© Marylebone Cricket Club 2013

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

under appeals item 3 you should have appealed!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So taking that on one stage...

(a) What if, using the same scenario, batsman B did leave his crease, then returned by the time Batsman A got to him?
(b) What if, using the same scenario, batsman B did leave his crease, the batsmen crossed, then B returned to his crease before the bails at the striker's end were dislodged?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
So taking that on one stage...

(a) What if, using the same scenario, batsman B did leave his crease, then returned by the time Batsman A got to him?
(b) What if, using the same scenario, batsman B did leave his crease, the batsmen crossed, then B returned to his crease before the bails at the striker's end were dislodged?

The first one to make his ground is 'in', and the other is 'out'.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It is all here... in the LAWS.

Law 29 (Batsman out of his ground)

1. When out of his ground

(a) A batsman shall be considered to be out of his ground unless his bat or some part of his person is grounded behind the popping crease at that end.

(b) Notwithstanding (a) above, if a running batsman, having grounded some part of his foot behind the popping crease, continues running further towards the wicket at that end and beyond, then any subsequent total loss of contact with the ground of both his person and his bat during his continuing forward momentum shall not be interpreted as being out of his ground.

2. Which is a batsman’s ground

(a) If only one batsman is within a ground

(i) it is his ground

(ii) it remains his ground even if he is later joined there by the other batsman.

(b) If both batsmen are in the same ground and one of them subsequently leaves it,

(a)(i) above applies.

(c) If there is no batsman in either ground, then each ground belongs to whichever batsman is nearer to it, or, if the batsmen are level, to whichever batsman was nearer to it immediately prior to their drawing level.

(d) If a ground belongs to one batsman then, unless there is a striker who has a runner, the other ground belongs to the other batsman, irrespective of his position.

(e) When a batsman who has a runner is striker, his ground is always at the wicket-keeper’s end.

However, (a), (b), (c) and (d) above will still apply, but only to the runner and the non-striker, so that that ground will also belong to either the non-striker or the runner, as the case may be.

3. Position of non-striker

The non-striker, when standing at the bowler’s end, should be positioned on the opposite side of the wicket to that from which the ball is being delivered, unless a request to do otherwise is granted by the umpire.

Law 38 (Run Out)

1. Out Run out

(a) Either batsman is out Run out, except as in 2 below, if, at any time while the ball is in play,
(i) he is out of his ground
and (ii) his wicket is fairly put down by the action of a fielder.
(b) (a) above shall apply even though No ball has been called, except in the circumstances of 2(b)(ii) below, and whether or not a run is being attempted.

2. Batsman not Run out

Notwithstanding 1 above,
(a) A batsman is not out Run out if
(i) he has been within his ground and has subsequently left it to avoid injury, when the wicket is put down.
Note also the provisions of Law 29.1(b) (When out of his ground).
(ii) the ball has not subsequently been touched by a fielder, after the bowler has entered his delivery stride, before the wicket is put down.
(iii) the ball, having been played by the striker, or having come off his person, directly strikes a protective helmet worn by a fielder and, without any other contact with him or any contact with any other fielder, rebounds directly on to the wicket. However, the ball remains in play and either batsman may be Run out in the circumstances of 1 above if a wicket is subsequently put down.
(b) The striker is not out Run out
(i) if he is out Stumped. See Laws 2.8(e)(ii) (Transgression of the Laws by a batsman who has a runner) and 39.1(b) (Out Stumped).
(ii) either in the circumstances of Law 2.8(e)(i) (Transgression of the Laws by a batsman who has a runner) or, otherwise,
if No ball has been called
and he is out of his ground not attempting a run
and the wicket is fairly put down by the wicket-keeper without the intervention of another fielder.

3. Which batsman is out

The batsman out in the circumstances of 1 above is the one whose ground is at the end where the wicket is put down. See Laws 2.8 (Transgression of the Laws by a batsman who has a runner) and 29.2 (Which is a batsman’s ground).

4. Runs scored

If either batsman is dismissed Run out, the run in progress when the wicket is put down shall not be scored, but runs completed by the batsmen shall stand, together with any runs for penalties awarded to either side. See Laws 18.6 (Runs awarded for penalties) and 18.9 (Runs scored when a batsman is dismissed).
If, however, a striker who has a runner is himself dismissed Run out, runs completed by the runner and the other batsman before the wicket is put down shall be disallowed, but any runs for penalties awarded to either side shall stand. The non-striker shall return to his original end. See Law 2.8 (Transgression of the Laws by a batsman who has a runner).

5. Bowler does not get credit

The bowler does not get credit for the wicket.

Simples.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Talking of Cricket is there any cricket leagues in Brighton/Sussex for very basic level starter players? Always loved playing Cricket with a few mates back when I was 16 (19 now) and have never really looked into playing properly? (At a fun sort of level or even netting sessions)

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
LAW 27 (APPEALS)

1. Umpire not to give batsman out without an appeal

Neither umpire shall give a batsman out, even though he may be out under the Laws, unless appealed to by a fielder. This shall not debar a batsman who is out under any of the Laws from leaving his wicket without an appeal having been made. Note, however, the provisions of 7 below.

2. Batsman dismissed

A batsman is dismissed if,

either (a) he is given out by an umpire, on appeal,

or (b) he is out under any of the Laws and leaves his wicket as in 1 above.

3. Timing of appeals

For an appeal to be valid, it must be made before the bowler begins his run up or, if he has no run up, his bowling action to deliver the next ball, and before Time has been called.
The call of Over does not invalidate an appeal made prior to the start of the following over, provided Time has not been called. See Laws 16.2 (Call of Time) and 22.2 (Start of an over).

4. Appeal "How’s That?"

An appeal "How’s That?" covers all ways of being out.

5. Answering appeals

The striker’s end umpire shall answer all appeals arising out of any of Laws 35 (Hit wicket), 39 (Stumped) or 38 (Run out) when this occurs at the wicket-keeper’s end. The bowler’s end umpire shall answer all other appeals.
When an appeal is made, each umpire shall answer on any matter that falls within his jurisdiction.
When a batsman has been given Not out, either umpire may answer an appeal, made in accordance with 3 above, if it is on a further matter and is within his jurisdiction.

6. Consultation by umpires

Each umpire shall answer appeals on matters within his own jurisdiction. If an umpire is doubtful about any point that the other umpire may have been in a better position to see, he shall consult the latter on this point of fact and shall then give the decision. If, after consultation, there is still doubt remaining, the decision shall be Not out.

7. Batsman leaving his wicket under a misapprehension

An umpire shall intervene if satisfied that a batsman, not having been given out, has left his wicket under a misapprehension that he is out. The umpire intervening shall call and signal Dead ball to prevent any further action by the fielding side and shall recall the batsman.

8. Withdrawal of an appeal

The captain of the fielding side may withdraw an appeal only if he obtains the consent of the umpire within whose jurisdiction the appeal falls. He must do so before the outgoing batsman has left the field of play. If such consent is given, the umpire concerned shall, if applicable, revoke his decision and recall the batsman.

9. Umpire’s decision

An umpire may alter his decision provided that such alteration is made promptly. This apart, an umpire’s decision, once made, is final.

© Marylebone Cricket Club 2013

Indeed, however you do not have to use the words 'how's that'. You have to appeal, that can take any form that the umpire deems an appeal.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I remember as a YOUTH I was bowling in some cricket competition or other. I bowled a slightly short, slow ball (i.e. an awful delivery) and the batsman pulled it. As he did, I was CERTAIN I heard two sounds on the willow.

As I wandered back past the umpire for my next delivery, I said to him; "You know, I think he hit it twice...". The umpire replied: "He did, if you'd appealed I would've given him out."

The umpire would have been wrong.

Law 34 "The striker is out Hit the ball twice if, while the ball is in play, it strikes any part of his person or is struck by his bat and, before the ball has been touched by a fielder, he wilfully strikes it again with his bat"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The umpire would have been wrong.

Law 34 "The striker is out Hit the ball twice if, while the ball is in play, it strikes any part of his person or is struck by his bat and, before the ball has been touched by a fielder, he wilfully strikes it again with his bat"

Bit like arguing about whether a handball is deliberate or not. I think you could argue in both cases of the ball hitting the bat that he was wilfully trying to hit the ball.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Yes, all well and good but you have 2 sides; a team that's in and a team that's out.. two men in the team that's in go out and when one of the men who's in is out; the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out; the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in; the men who are out are trying to get him out; and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decided when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out; and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bit like arguing about whether a handball is deliberate or not. I think you could argue in both cases of the ball hitting the bat that he was wilfully trying to hit the ball.

Read it again. It doesn't say that he was wilfully trying to hit the ball but wilfully trying to hit it again. It's not at all similar to handball in football - that can be difficult to interpret but it's very, very obvious if a batsman has two goes at hitting the ball - there's going to be considerable gap between the two shots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here