Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the cricket umpires

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
2 runs (one short). That would certainly be the call, in the event that a batsman marginally, and perhaps inadvertently failed to reach the crease, when turning. If he's seen to have done it deliberately there might well be further action the umpires could take.

If he just missed it would be 2 runs - one short - but as he's done it deliberately I presume the umpires would declare it one run -two short? (or one run and aborted running the second)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
2 runs (one short). That would certainly be the call, in the event that a batsman marginally, and perhaps inadvertently failed to reach the crease, when turning. If he's seen to have done it deliberately there might well be further action the umpires could take.

I agree with that 2 runs. I don't think the umpires could take further action. If so wouldn't they have to take action when batsman refuse to run a single, to avoid losing the strike?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Some good answers, but the key here is that he wasn't even close to making the 2nd run he was 2-3 feet short of the crease which has to be interpreted as a deliberate short run. Don't look it up, keep suggesting / guessing.

It is not 1 short, or even 2 short that the umpire will signal / call / action.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Presumably there is some sort of warning / sanction for unsportsmanlike behaviour. Probably just a severe ticking off - words with the captain - report to match referee (if there is one) etc... ??

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Some good answers, but the key here is that he wasn't even close to making the 2nd run he was 2-3 feet short of the crease which has to be interpreted as a deliberate short run. Don't look it up, keep suggesting / guessing.

It is not 1 short, or even 2 short that the umpire will signal / call / action.

5 run penalty?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
First offence, NO runs scored and batters return to their original ends - effectively a dot-ball.
The 5 run penalty comes with the 2nd deliberate running of a short run in addition to the above first offence.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I agree with that 2 runs. I don't think the umpires could take further action. If so wouldn't they have to take action when batsman refuse to run a single, to avoid losing the strike?

Nothing wrong with turning down runs, that's tactical but not seen as taking advantage.
The one that always bemuses me, and I've done this and got away with it, is to deliberately not prevent a boundary being scored. Situation is one batter well set, the other a tail-ender and on the sixth ball the well set batter wants to keep the strike so is looking for a single. For me, I deliberately mistimed my interception and "unfortunately" the ball went for four. I made a good fist of it so the umpires could not be certain it was deliberate. Meant we were able to bowl at the weaker batter.

What would happen if a fielder deliberately kicked / threw the ball over the boundary?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay another question:

How many different events can you come up with for the umpire to call "no-ball"?

Without looking it up, I've jotted down 13.
Can you think of more?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here