Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the cricket umpires

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Ok, next question:

Again this is a true story - probably about 15 years ago now - I was the skipper of the fielding side and we had a decent leggie bowling for us - we were playing at Slindon nr Arundel.

We'd just taken a wicket and a new batter comes to the crease - he was not the most gifted of strokemakers but his technique was to charge down the wicket to everything, but he was canny and made sure NOTHING got past him. So as the leggie ran up to bowl, this chap charged down the track, so the bowler aborted his delivery [didn't release the ball]. This happened 3 or 4 times in a row and it was clear neither batter nor bowler were going to change what they were doing.

As umpire, what should you do?

This happened to us too, we were playing Slindon (I think!), our young leggie was given the charge a few times, but as above the batsman made sure he got something on the ball every time, and was too far down to be given out LBW.

The leggie kept aborting the delivery until the umpire threatened to no-ball him. A few more experienced and qualified players on our side said that he couldn't be no-balled as he hadn't actually let go of the ball.

Our bowler finished the over and was then taken out of the attack until the batsman was dismissed.

We did discuss a signal to our keeper that the bowler would deliberately bowl really wide and get him stumped, but the keeper isn't allowed to move until after the ball has been released I believe.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Talking of Cricket is there any cricket leagues in Brighton/Sussex for very basic level starter players? Always loved playing Cricket with a few mates back when I was 16 (19 now) and have never really looked into playing properly? (At a fun sort of level or even netting sessions)

Are you English and do you have a passport? Chances are you will be better than the last lot we sent out to play.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
as long as you don't change the hand you bowl from you can do what you like. Spinners do occasionally bowl a faster ball, I've seen them bowl bouncers too, and pace bowlers regularly bowl slower balls and back-of-the-hand leg breaks.

Of course I know they bowl faster and slower balls but I mean say if a guy ran in and bowled 80mph full and straight when he had bowled 55mph leg spinners for the first 5 balls, I've never actually seen anything like this happen in pro cricket that's why I wondered, but as you say unless a bowler changes hands then it doesn't matter what he does so it would be legitimate.

Are you English and do you have a passport? Chances are you will be better than the last lot we sent out to play.

I like your thinking, Pietersens replacement, I'd get bowled first ball but at least I'm English:thumbsup:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
This happened to us too, we were playing Slindon (I think!), our young leggie was given the charge a few times, but as above the batsman made sure he got something on the ball every time, and was too far down to be given out LBW.

The leggie kept aborting the delivery until the umpire threatened to no-ball him. A few more experienced and qualified players on our side said that he couldn't be no-balled as he hadn't actually let go of the ball.

Our bowler finished the over and was then taken out of the attack until the batsman was dismissed.

We did discuss a signal to our keeper that the bowler would deliberately bowl really wide and get him stumped, but the keeper isn't allowed to move until after the ball has been released I believe.

I have a very strong suspicion this was the very same game - the leggie being Kris R ?
If yes, we were playing in the same team, I was you're skipper - MF.
Please reveal yourself or PM me ....

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove

Mushtaq Ahmed was very effective at bowling the wide one for Prior to stump the batsmen if he was drifting down the wicket once too often.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
as long as you don't change the hand you bowl from you can do what you like. Spinners do occasionally bowl a faster ball, I've seen them bowl bouncers too, and pace bowlers regularly bowl slower balls and back-of-the-hand leg breaks.

Partly correct. You also cannot change from which side of the stumps you bowl [over or round] without informing the ump too - penalty is a no-ball [you must also inform the ump before you start to bowl both these bits of info - else no-ball]. You can also bowl from as far behind the popping crease as you like, but if you bowl from so far back that you are behind the umpire too [so he can't see your bowling action] should also be no-balled.

On the changing hands bit - was playing in a tour match up in North Wales in the 80's and the bloke was bowling right-arm flipping quick. After 2 overs and 5-6 scalps he switched to bowl spin - LEFT HANDED !! and was still pretty damn tidy. [umpire was informed ok]

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
If a player gets half way down the wicket, could you bowl it high over his head? I know too high is a no ball, but what about if it still bounces before the wicket?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh no you can't. Not in a Test match. You cannot be run out in a Test match if you do not leave your crease.

Of course you can. If you are batting with a runner, and the stumps are broken with HIM out of his ground.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This thread has certainly given me itchy feet to play again. Any local teams (Brighton and Hove) looking for a leg spinner?

I asked this earlier in the thread, although I'm a complete rookie, would be nice to know any clubs around Brighton, last time I held a cricket bat though was on Hove cricket ground a few years back.(during the lunch break when people are allowed on the field:lol: )

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Batsman A is on strike and Batman B is at the other end.
A hits ball and runs, B doesn't and remains in his end. A gets in and the fielding side then whip off the bails at the strikers end. Neither A nor B walks. Who does the umpire give out ?

if 'A' stands for 'Alistair', 'A' is out.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If anyone likes these sorts of questions and needs a Christmas present to ask for try the book You Are The Umpire it's brilliant

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If a player gets half way down the wicket, could you bowl it high over his head? I know too high is a no ball, but what about if it still bounces before the wicket?

To be a no ball for a beamer / full toss the assessment must be made with the batter stood upright on the popping crease - if he's charged down the wicket that can be much more difficult to judge, especially if it hits him or he hits the ball. We had a controversial incident last season where the batter charged, missed, and the ball clipped the top of the leg bail. The umpires consulted and eventually agreed that they could not be sure that the ball was too high and so gave the benefit of the doubt to the batter = no-ball, not out.

This falls under Law 42 and is further complicated by having to judge whether the ball was bowled at fast pace or not as the height changes from waist to shoulder for the slow bowlers. The guideline they use is where the keeper was stood but more and more keepers are standing up to the fast / medium bowlers so our league has a local rule that says its waist height regardless of pace - one less thing to judge / argue over.

In Dunkie's example above, if the ball bounced before the wicket that almost certainly won't be a no-ball for height.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Ready for another question?

Alan Wells did this playing for Sussex - in a close finish to a one day game, Wells is well set but off strike and needs to get down the strikers end. Striker hits the ball into a big gap and the batters have taken one run and progressing the 2nd run. Wells knows he will likely be run out trying to complete the 3rd run so turns at the end of his 2nd run several feet short of the crease and makes it home to the strikers end.

As the non-strikers end umpire, what should you do?

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Ready for another question?

Alan Wells did this playing for Sussex - in a close finish to a one day game, Wells is well set but off strike and needs to get down the strikers end. Striker hits the ball into a big gap and the batters have taken one run and progressing the 2nd run. Wells knows he will likely be run out trying to complete the 3rd run so turns at the end of his 2nd run several feet short of the crease and makes it home to the strikers end.

As the non-strikers end umpire, you call and signal "one short" - what should happen next?

As he has only actually completed one run, that's all that is awarded. He has the strike for the next ball.

footnote: Wells is now head of Cricket at St Bede's school (my neighbour's lad has a cricket scholarship there)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As he has only actually completed one run, that's all that is awarded. He has the strike for the next ball.

footnote: Wells is now head of Cricket at St Bede's school (my neighbour's lad has a cricket scholarship there)

2 runs (one short). That would certainly be the call, in the event that a batsman marginally, and perhaps inadvertently failed to reach the crease, when turning. If he's seen to have done it deliberately there might well be further action the umpires could take.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here