Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Price of fish n chips / takeaway

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Two large breaded fish fillets, oven chips, a tin of mushy peas for £2.50

Not a chippy, but it's still fish and chips. 20 minutes cooking time, don't need to leave the house.

That's how I do it now.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
We pay £17.50 for adult cod, chips, mushy peas, and a pensioner's huss with chips.

Fish and chips has always been a lot cheaper in Yorkshire.
Not so much now, our local in the suburbs of Leeds is £8.70 for fish and chips, £7.15 for a medium fish and chips.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Shake shack Victoria. £33 for a chicken burger, jalapeño burger, two fries and two waters (not serving beer today for an unspecified reason, I picked it due to fast food suiting the boy and beer suiting me). Not even very good. They have your balls in a vice in London

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Shake shack Victoria. £33 for a chicken burger, jalapeño burger, two fries and two waters (not serving beer today for an unspecified reason, I picked it due to fast food suiting the boy and beer suiting me). Not even very good. They have your balls in a vice in London

And I bet the price of that's gone through the roof :rolleyes:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Had a Dominos the other week, as was 50% off pizza, couldn't believe the standard price was about £22 for a medium pizza, sure it was about £16 last time I looked. Won't bother again. On the other hand we had a 3 course fixed price meal at Hotel du Vin last weekend for £25. Incredible value, great food and great service

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Had a Dominos the other week, as was 50% off pizza, couldn't believe the standard price was about £22 for a medium pizza, sure it was about £16 last time I looked. Won't bother again. On the other hand we had a 3 course fixed price meal at Hotel du Vin last weekend for £25. Incredible value, great food and great service
Big-brand pizzas are like DFS sofas aren't they? No-one ever pays the (supposed) full price.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
in York recently I enjoyed some of the best fish n chips I’ve ever had for £4
Where did you get that from?
I work in York fairly regularly and normally pay about £9 from the chip shops in the centre.
Though to be fair, quality-wise they blow anything from south of Leicester out of the water.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Palm Court restaurant on the pier used to do a very decent monster F&C pre-pandemic. Used to always bite the bullet and take visiting guests there. Just taken a look at their current menu. Seems like prices haven't gone through the roof post-pandemic. Still pricey, but seemingly not unduly so, in light of this thread

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Now you’re being silly. North Yorkshire is 90% richer than West Yorkshire with Thirsk, Harrogate, Scarborough, Knaresborough, Beverley etc.
Yes, you're right, I am being silly. But that's true of about 90% of my posts (excluding the cricket threads).
Most of North Yorkshire outside Teesside is more affluent than West or East Yorkshire, although Leeds in particular is turning into another over-expensive city like London and Manchester.
Edit: as an aside, I read somewhere recently that the organisers of the Jarrow March were most concerned about their reception in places like Masham and Skipton, because of how strongly Tory those areas are.
But York is stupidly expensive even by that standard, which is why I'm genuinely interested in where The Clamp found a fish and chips for £4.
He could save me a worryingly large amount of money if it's within walking distance of my company's York office.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
@AmexRuislip I've started going to the Aquarius fish bar in the Manor when I'm visiting my mum. A standard f&c is too big so we normally get small. £9.50 & very good. You got any other recommendations?
The Woodman Pub near your mum, I'm sure has a chip van on Friday nights.
Not too bad (y)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Big-brand pizzas are like DFS sofas aren't they? No-one ever pays the (supposed) full price.
The sofa probably tastes better too!

I make my own - all components from Lidl:

2 x fresh Pizza bases (1.69)
Tin of chopped tomatoes with herbs (47p)
Onion (say 10p)
Sweetcorn (say 20p) - I like my sweetcorn
German salami (99p)
Roasted peppers (99p I think)
Mozzarella (1.99)

Total £6.43 and serves 2 and knocks the socks off any pizza joint offering imo

Jul 7, 2003
Should have gone to Bleeker Burger opposite. Much better food and value.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here